67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

nice work Giblet, always a pleasure to see what you come up with (saw your previous watercooling setup at OCForums)

interesting setup, kind of like Dodge Viper's old one, except with a larger heatercore

3/4" ID on your pump outlet is interesting, didn't think it was that big on the D4...my MCP600 doesn't at least.

after reading posts in this thread, i am so puzzled why there are so many dumbass comments

way to diss those low flow guys, i will never believe in a 1/4" ID system
high flow > low flow

DaveX said:
interesting setup, kind of like Dodge Viper's old one, except with a larger heatercore

3/4" ID on your pump outlet is interesting, didn't think it was that big on the D4...my MCP600 doesn't at least.

yeah, dodgeviper's setup was my inspiration

you can order the d4 with 1/2" or 3/4" fittings :)

Thats a shame (just looks odd to me, thats all :) ). How you liking that window stuff?

CrimandEvil said:
Thats a shame (just looks odd to me, thats all :) ). How you liking that window stuff?

window stuff was some cheap plexi from home depot, it's working great

looks good. few questions:
where'd you get the mill for the WB (or where did you get it done, if applicable)?
what SCSI setup is that?
what is the ketchup for? (i know the toothpaste, but ketchup?)
what're overall system specs? (sorry if this was already answered, but my 56k sucks so i don't wanna have to load the first page w/ pics if i don't have to)

rogue_jedi said:
looks good. few questions:
where'd you get the mill for the WB (or where did you get it done, if applicable)?
what SCSI setup is that?
what is the ketchup for? (i know the toothpaste, but ketchup?)
what're overall system specs? (sorry if this was already answered, but my 56k sucks so i don't wanna have to load the first page w/ pics if i don't have to)

I didn't make the block, cathar did, I just took it apart for cleaning

scsi setup is an ibm pirahna and lsi u160 controller card

ketchup was for cleaning, it worked quite well

specs are:
2100+ AIUHB week 302
Abit NF7 rev 2.0
2x256mb Buffalo BH-5 pc3700
MSI ti4200
LSI U160 scsi controller
IBM 15k rpm 18.4 gb hd
Maxtor 5.4k 40 gb hd
Fortron 530W psu (new)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (new)

Highlighters! Haven't heard that one before. Do you have UV lights on them? Cool idea, a lot cheaper that UV dyes :D

What are your temps and how did this configuration increase your overclock?

R1ckCa1n said:
What are your temps and how did this configuration increase your overclock?

temps are a few degrees lower than my previous setup, they've varied a lot because my room temp has also varied a lot

my overclock is the same so far (2100+ @2.5ghz), but I haven't had a chance to play with it a lot yet

Giblet Plus! said:
temps are a few degrees lower than my previous setup, they've varied a lot because my room temp has also varied a lot

my overclock is the same so far (2100+ @2.5ghz), but I haven't had a chance to play with it a lot yet

I would have expected alot more with that huge heater core and only one block in the loop, but maybe your running the fans lower than before?

Take a look at the cooper cleaner at Dtek as it will turn that block into new condition.

Also, nice to see some original Cathar blocks :D

Really Really loud. What fans are you using? Or is that just the pump vibrating the house down!

using highlighter fluid instead of proper UV dye is pretty common, it works pretty well too

love that fill 'n bleed tube, original owner of my chevette core soldered a fill 'n bleed tube on there, works great

R1ckCa1n said:
I would have expected alot more with that huge heater core and only one block in the loop, but maybe your running the fans lower than before?

I kinda did too, I'm gonna remount my block again and also update my NF7 bios

pandaking said:
Really Really loud. What fans are you using? Or is that just the pump vibrating the house down!

It sounds louder than it really is in the video, the microphone on my canon a60 really sucks.

just redid my block mounting, temps seem about the same

I've bent my temp probe up so it actually makes contact with the cpu, and I'm running the original nf7 bios still (which reads high from what I understand)

Giblet Plus! said:
I kinda did too, I'm gonna remount my block again and also update my NF7 bios

I would try to have the loop go pump -> radiator -> block to see if it changes your temps. I'm not sure how much heat the D4 puts in the loop, but I always like to have the CPU block first after the radiator.

R1ckCa1n said:
I would try to have the loop go pump -> radiator -> block to see if it changes your temps. I'm not sure how much heat the D4 puts in the loop, but I always like to have the CPU block first after the radiator.

nope, that makes (practically) no difference at all in a high flow setup

I think the temps are fine, the ambient temp is prettty high here too. At night my load temp goes down to about 38C. Remember, this is a 2100+ @2.5 ghz with 2.0V

Giblet Plus! said:

I think the temps are fine, the ambient temp is prettty high here too. At night my load temp goes down to about 38C. Remember, this is a 2100+ @2.5 ghz with 2.0V

Now you are being silly.....

Think about it, if the pump is adding heat to the water, why would you want it after the radiator? That is just introducing more heat before the water hits the block.

I seem to remember dropping almost 2c just by reconfiguring the loop.

R1ckCa1n said:
Now you are being silly.....

Think about it, if the pump is adding heat to the water, why would you want it after the radiator? That is just introducing more heat before the water hits the block.

I seem to remember dropping almost 2c just by reconfiguring the loop.

At the kinds of flowrates we're considering, the amount of heat added per second and the amount of fluid passing per second add up to a miniscule differece in water temperature before and after the pump. Your drop in temps may have been attributed to using less tubing, reducing restrictive tight-radius bends, or block mounting.

LOL... you want the maximum performance yet allow the pump to heat up the water before entering the block... whatever, it's your system.

As reference, take a look at most high end configurations and you will see the radiator in front of the pump. :rolleyes:

R1ckCa1n said:
LOL... you want the maximum performance yet allow the pump to heat up the water before entering the block... whatever, it's your system.

As reference, take a look at most high end configurations and you will see the radiator in front of the pump. :rolleyes:
n00b, take a look at the temperatures of the water before and after the CPU block. There's almost no difference at all and the CPU is dumping FAR more heat into the water. The pump's heat is not worth considering over tubing length and ease of tube routing.

R1ckCa1n said:
allow the pump to heat up the water before entering the block... whatever, it's your system.
How much do you think the pump heats up the water? A number please.

Giblet Plus! said:

Makes virtually no difference in any setup. Mine goes Pump > Rad > CPU but I just did it that way cause it made sense with how my case and components are laid out.

Maybe one day if I get really bored I'll do a comprehensive test of every possible order of components...and test temps... just to show that the difference (IF ANY) is miniscule. :)

stumpy said:
Makes virtually no difference in any setup. Mine goes Pump > Rad > CPU but I just did it that way cause it made sense with how my case and components are laid out.

Maybe one day if I get really bored I'll do a comprehensive test of every possible order of components...and test temps... just to show that the difference (IF ANY) is miniscule. :)

It would make a differenec at extremely low flowrates (or conversely, extremely high heat transfer rates from the pump). However, in our cooling systems, flowrate is large enough and heat transfer is low enough that the temp difference is quite small.

Back