my so call quad core i5 740 only showing 2 cores?

omi

Limp Gawd
is this normal? of all the benchmarking i seen on the web.. cpu-z report that there is 4 core on the i5. However upon looking at my.. it only said 2 cores. even under the task performance manager. It show 2 graph screen instead of 4. The cpu box labeled as quad core. And this is a Lynnfield.

coreo.jpg

Last edited:
Wrong, cpu-Z is reporting two cores and two threads. Totally different. Sounds like you need to uninstall and reinstall the processor drivers or do a reinstall of windows to pick up the extra cores. You are only utilizing two cores and two threads at the moment. Check your bios and make sure multi core is enabled.

Looks like Turbo mode enabled, disabling two cores to run two at faster clock rates automatically?

Yeah, I am pretty sure it has to do with turbo mode

Sorry to ask this hear, where can i get that wallpaper Omi?

It's not Turbo Mode, since Turbo Mode doesn't physically disable cores on the fly. What it does it clock the entire system faster (all cores), except that the idle ones are contributing almost nothing to the thermal load.

OP, was this already a problem before you started overclocking your chip? Or did the cores disappear once you got above a certain "bus" speed? If they disappeared along the way, you may be pushing your CPU too far, or need to tinker with other settings, starting with voltage. But for starters, check your BIOS settings to confirm that all four cores are enabled.

This happen before i overclock the cpu.
As for the wallpaper i'll post it later. Since i'm not home atm.

Go into the Start menu, type msconfig, press enter. Go to the Boot tab and click on the Advanced options button. Uncheck the "Number of processors" box. Reboot and see if that fixes it.

Are you guys noticing that CoreTemp is identifying his proc as an i3 "Havendale"? My i5 is correctly identified as an i5 750 by CoreTemp 0.99.5 (the same version he has).

Are you guys noticing that CoreTemp is identifying his proc as an i3 "Havendale"? My i5 is correctly identified as an i5 750 by CoreTemp 0.99.5 (the same version he has).

This is going to be a very interesting thread in about 2 minutes...

Check under device manager and see how many cpu's are listed under processors.

Yea how did you get an i3? Intel messed up.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I have a feeling that Core Temp is only assuming that it's an i3 because it detects only two cores.

Let's hope so. . .lol.

Is CoreTemp pre-loaded with CPU info that isn't out yet though? -.^

I though Havendale was cancelled and Arandale replaced it

It's definitely an i5-750. CPU-Z reads that string of information directly from the CPU and displays it in the Specification box.

Zero82z in post #8 has the correct solution. 9 times out of 10 that's usually the problem when cores go missing. Either that or check your bios to make sure you didn't disable anything.

Here's the latest version of RealTemp:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

I think it's smart enough to know what your CPU really is. :)

I have a feeling that Core Temp is only assuming that it's an i3 because it detects only two cores.

Exactly...Just the same thing that happens when you unlock Phenom II cores, names will change too...

Check your BIOS OP.

EDIT: NVM, would you tell us how you fixed it though please?

Last edited:
I think the problem is with Windows 7. I've heard stuff about it reporting only two cores in some cases, in which case there is a checkbox or two that needs to be checked for the entire system to enjoy multicore tasties. For instance.... YMMV, but certainly worth a try.

EDIT - Saw MSConfig being mentioned earlier, sorry about that. But still, some reading for people with the same problems.

Back