My slimline Smoothwall Linux router

tom61

[H]ard|Gawd
Smoothwall Linux
C3 800@600 (due to ram not clocking to 133)
128MB crap RAM(seen as 48MB under Linux, and 64MB under Windows ? )
Integrated i810 video and ethernet (red interface)
Serial port for Modem (still haven't talked the 'rents into getting cable internet)
2GB HD attached to the top of the lid via the drives bottom holes

slimline5.jpg

Outside of box

slimline6.jpg

Outside of box with CD for size reference

slimline4.jpg

slimline3.jpg

Box open, with CD rom attached for install of Smoothwall

What kinda formfactor is that motherboard?
I'd like a little more info about what it was before you went at it.
Nice work!

What kinda formfactor is that motherboard?

SBC or Single Board Computer. Neat little formfactor, not used much though. Motherboard only takes +5V and +12V, instead of the multiple voltages other formfactor mobos usually use.

I'd like a little more info about what it was before you went at it.

Only mod I've done to it so far is drilling 4 holes in the top to mount the harddrive to, and removed additional cards and such I didn't need. It was orginally used as an IDE harddrive tester. Came with an IDE card with an external connector, and a switchable voltage module to allow hotswapping of IDE drives.

Motherboard manual if you're really curious.

I wish mine had the optional SCSI.

Looks like a server blade...

Sorta like one, but doesn't require a backplane.

that thing is really cool! where is the ethernet jack and other ports?

Originally posted by anotherguy159
I only see one ethernet jack...

EDIT: ah, dialup :)

Just got a DSL modem today. :) Not sure I'll use the smoothwall as I have a hardware broadband router to connect it to.

NICE< i just setup a smoothwall router a few weeks ago, no complaints yet, i'm hoping to get another old box and try out m0n0wall on it.

Originally posted by tom61
Just got a DSL modem today. :) Not sure I'll use the smoothwall as I have a hardware broadband router to connect it to.

Dood I would so like to have that thing.... too bad I don't got any money :(

Well even if u wanted to... No smoothy for you on that thing... Wont be able to run any router/firewall distro on 1 ethernet card

Originally posted by SKiTLz
Well even if u wanted to... No smoothy for you on that thing... Wont be able to run any router/firewall distro on 1 ethernet card

Um... It has two PCI slots. Hmm... I guess you can't really see them, anyways, it has 2 PCI slots on a riser, so can add a second (or third) ethernet adapter.

Originally posted by tom61
Um... It has two PCI slots. Hmm... I guess you can't really see them, anyways, it has 2 PCI slots on a riser, so can add a second (or third) ethernet adapter.
you could get a usb NIC too-smoothwall supports mucho hardware

Seems the hardware router/firewall is working fine with DSL, so now I need to figure out what to do with this box.

I've figured out two things I could use it for:

A mame box to put in my cab, as it's the most powerfull box I have spare currently:
Feb18%2305.jpg

Or make it a file server and cram two 4GB drives I have spare in a raid configuration into this box. Probably remove the large (about the same as an ATX) powersupply and put in a micro-AT powersupply in there to make room. Too bad I only have one 1GB laptop drive laying around, otherwise I might make a raid 5 out of them and cram them in,
like this guy did.

I'm getting another bare bones unmodded box like this one from a friend in trade for some rackmount audio thingy I got at an auction.

I anybody is interested in one, LMK. Takes Socket 370 processors (supports 100MHz bus officially, but goes up to 150MHz in small increments). 1 DIMM (likes PC100 over PC133) slot. 2 PCI riser (removable). PC104+ connector (can't operate at the same time as PCI). Onboard i810 Video, PS/2 keyboard and mouse (does not halt at bootup if keyboard is missing, making it great for firewalls, etc.), 10/100 Ethernet port on the front panel. Headers for 2 USB (1.1 I presume), 2 serial, 1 parallel, 1 GPIO, 1 IDE, mutant floppy connector (smaller pins than normal, listed as 'reserved' in the manual).

Has dual channel IDE controller (disables internal IDE) with one internal and one external connector.

Controllable external power connector (hooks to parallel port header)

Looks the same as my smoothwall box, except lacking the 4 holes in the top for mounting a harddrive.

Any thing maybe trades?

Trades would be cool. Let me think...
450+Watt PS
HD
or send me a list

I'll have to get a pic of this new one up. One note, two of the top holes don't line up properly, looks like it's been dropped. Nothing major, it also has side screw holes to secure the top down.

Finally took pics of my second box:

Mar03-01.jpg

Mar03-02.jpg

Mar03-03.jpg

Mar03-04.jpg

Mar03-05.jpg

Mar03-06.jpg

Still interested in trades... Now looking for SCSI stuff and ECC SDRAM or ECC EDO DIMMs.

Back