My plans in the next few weeks - Da Box WHS and mini-ITX gaming rig

sabregen

Fully [H]
So, I've been moving around a lot the past 6 months. Life sort of fell apart completely and then came back together, and I've finally gotten settled into my own place. I've also kind of been able to go through some of the boxes of parts that I shipped to take inventory... I have a lot of crap that I need to get rid of. But, I also found a lot of stuff that I had forgotten that I even had. So, I'm looking to do a platform upgrade by selling off stuff that I don't need to fund stuff that I want.

First on the list, due in part to being selected for a super awesome beta program, is that my main gaming rig will go from being housed in Lan-Gear's Da Box 100 to their new mini-ITX chassis prototype, whatever it ends up being called. Also, If I can sell off my Q6600 CPU and RAM and all of ym socket 775 boards, I'll finally be able to join the ranks of the Socket 1156 Core i7 crowd. If it doesn't sell then likely I'll end up on a Zotac 9300 based board and keeping the CPU. Here's the current ideas I have, based on the hardware that I have, and what I've already traded:
Current WHS build

ASUS M3A78 EMH HDMI mATX 780g w/HDMI Socket AM2/2+
AM2+ 4950e
CoolerMaster mini80 sealed water loop
2x1GB PC2-5300 generic
AbleCOM (supermicro server pull) 420w PSU
WD 1TB Green (system drive +beginning of datastore)
WD 1.5TB Green (datastore)
WD 500AAKS (datastore)
Seagate 320GB 7200.10 (datastore)
Lian-Li mid-tower chassis
Pioneer 16x IDE DVD-ROM

Current gaming rig in Da Box 100

DFI T2RS P45 Jr.
Intel Q6600 G0
Corsair H50
2x2GB G.Skill Pi PC2-6400
Silverstone ST-1000p 1kW fully modular w/PP05 short set
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB in RAID-0
Samsung 8x BDROM / 16x DVDRW
2x XFX Radeon HD5850 1GB in CrossFireX
Da Box 100 chassis

Here's what I will be going to (if I can sell enough of the stuff that I have to swap platforms)

WHS new build

Da Box 100 chassis w/full face plate front and second HDD cage above PCI slots
Silverstone ST85F w/short cable set
ASUS M3A78 EMH HDMI mATX 780G
AM2+ 4850e x2
Corsair H50
2x1GB PC2-5300 Generic
1x Intel X25-V 40GB SSD (system + beginning of datastore)
3x Seagate Momentus 500GB 2.5"
1x WD Green 1TB
3x WD Green 1.5TB
Lite-On 16x DVDRW

Mini-ITX Gaming Rig

Lan-Gear mini-ITX chassis
Silverstone ST1000-P 1KW fully modular w/ short cable set
Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 Socket 1156 motherboard
Intel i7 860
CoolIT ALC ECO
2x2GB G.Skill Pi DDR3-2000
PNY GTX480
2x OCZ Vertex 60GB in RAID-0
Lite-On slimline 6x BDROM / DVDRW

That's what I'm thinking, for now. On the mini-ITX build, it will certainly be a PNY GTX480, the Silverstone 1kW fully modular w/shortcable set, the CoolIT ALC ECO, and the dual OCZ Vertex 60GB's in RAID-0. The new WHS will definitely be using the same CPU, RAM, and board that it has now. It's going to get a PSU swap, and add a bunch more drives to it. I am also toying with the idea of using this Dell SAS6/iR controller that I have to do all of the drives that are spinning disk. The board has 6 SATA ports onboard, but with the optical drive in the mix, I'm going to have 9 drives (1 ssd, 1 optical, and 7 mechanical) in there. Not too sure what to do on the drive config / number of SATA ports at the moment.

What do you guys think? Will I be the firstliquid cooled WHS in Da Box? Will I be the first to stuff 1kW, liquid cooling, dual SSDs and a 480 into the new mini-ITX chassis? I suppose we'll ahve to see on both of those. I don;t know of anyone else running their WHS inside of Da Box, but with the added drive cage above the PCI slots, this makes Da Box a viable WHS chassis, in my mind.

Youll have to mod/make your own back plate to work on the GA-H55N. there is on chip in the way of the mounting bracket on the back sadly...

on the I/O plate of the board, you mean? How could they have made such a ridiculous oversight. Got any pics? I do have modding tools... seems silly that they would have overloooked this.

Not the I/O shield, the back plate you use to fix the heatsink to the board.

Dunno why he says you need to mod it

The IC and capacitors get in the way of the H50 backplate. I had to get rid of the backplate for my AXP-140 and use washers instead.

IMG_3594.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG

I won't be used the H50 on the P55 board. The H50 will go to the M3A78 EMH HMDI (WHS) and the CoolIT ALC ECO will go on the P55, but depending on the backplate for that one, looks like some mods might be in order for it, as well. Thanks for the pics! Certainly illustrates the issue quite well. Wonder why they packed so many IC's on the back, like that?

They thought everybody was gonna use the stock Intel heat sink, not aftermarket lol. They'll probably fix it with a board revision in the future. However, the stock CPU socket backplate is quite sturdy and prevents the board from bending.

I won't be used the H50 on the P55 board. The H50 will go to the M3A78 EMH HMDI (WHS) and the CoolIT ALC ECO will go on the P55, but depending on the backplate for that one, looks like some mods might be in order for it, as well. Thanks for the pics! Certainly illustrates the issue quite well. Wonder why they packed so many IC's on the back, like that?

I'm currently using the coolit eco on the dfi mitx board and the coolit back plate fits right over the stock lotes backplate since the metal standoffs were rather tall. I dont think it will get in the way of the transistors on the gigabyte board.

Thanks for the pictures! makes me not seem crazy now ; ) Only know that because im looking at getting that same board/using my h50.

Last edited:
well my Da Box rig is completely torn down. The dual XFX 5850's go out tomorrow and hopefully by the end of the week I'll have the 480

changing my WHS build a bit:

Da Box 100
abit I-F90HD
Intel Q6600
Corsair H50
2x2GB G.Skill Pi
1x WD Green 1.0TB
1x WD Green 1.5TB
1x WD Black 1.0TB
1x Hitachi 7200RPM 1.0TB
2x Seagate Momentus 500GB 2.5"
1x LG BDROM/HD-DVD/DVD-R/W optical
Strider 850w
1x ASUS dual SATA port + 2x USB3.0 PCI-E

hunting for an i5 750, i7 860 and the dfi mi p55-t36 at the moment... and a slimline BDROM / DVDRW sata drive too

well with the HDD cage installed in Da Box, my G.Skill Pi heatsinks could not be used. As I went to slide in the motherboard tray, the top of the RAM sinks hit the bottom of the cage. So, the Pi's are up for sale, and I will have to just get some lower end RAM without sinks, or without tall fins on them.

Additionally, I had never done a WHS repair install before. If you haven't either, it's worth noting that the only data that will be recovered by the repair installation is the stuff that's in folders with duplication turned on... which for me, did not include any of my videos, or my music... no acceptable. I ended up doing a new installation, and then after it was running, attaching the WHS drives from the last build, and robocopying the data to the current storage pool, one drive at a time, and then adding that drive to the pool after triple checking that I had all of the data off of it. painstaking process.

Also, I do not currently yet have the additional HDD cage for the Da Box chassis, which will replace the 120mm fan over the PCI slots, so for now, I am dangling HDDs to facilitate this initial data xfer and storage pool issues.... less than ideal. Hopefully by this week i will have it all buttoned up, and all outstanding issues resolved.

well with the HDD cage installed in Da Box, my G.Skill Pi heatsinks could not be used. As I went to slide in the motherboard tray, the top of the RAM sinks hit the bottom of the cage. So, the Pi's are up for sale, and I will have to just get some lower end RAM without sinks, or without tall fins on them.

Thanks for the advice. I'm slowly massing the parts to put into a SFF (da box preferred). Was just about to buy a gskill pi 3x2 kit. :(

picked up Intel Xeon X3440 2.53Ghz w/HT for the mini-ITX build. trying to think of a creative solution for the WHS RAM issue (need 4GB for transcodes). BD/HD-DVD/DVDRW + ASUS USB3/SATA PCI-E card + WD 1TB black shipped to me, today. GTX480 + CoolIT ALC ECO will be here on Wednesday.

got RAM for WHS sorted out. finishing up on data xfer from old WHS drives, now.

I have an Ultima-90 with Thermalright 1156 mounting bracket on a Gigabyte H55N. Works fine, though I had to use small o-rings to set the plate a little farther off the mobo. I also have a Thermalright HR-01+ with 1156 bracket on the DFI mitx board, works great stock.

Let me know if you have any questions.. I've updated my sig to reflect my recent build(s).

i have a question. wanna sell your T36? :D hrmm... you're even using the X3440, as well. very nice to know it's pre-tested and kencheeto approved!

sounds good -- i just picked up a two sets of copper stick-on heatsinks for the vrms (they'll have to be cut down a bit for the bottom of the board, but should be too easy), i'll take some pics when they arrive

i have a question. wanna sell your T36? :D hrmm... you're even using the X3440, as well. very nice to know it's pre-tested and kencheeto approved!

Yeah, the x3440 is great since I don't care too much about the clocks but HT is nice to have. I was actually looking to sell the t36 a little while ago but decided to use it for my gaming rig instead :)

Good luck! I'm glad everyone else seems to be [h]ard for the mitx too!

hre's to hoping that I dont love 3d so much that I decide that I want 3d surround (which obviously is impossible on a mini-ITX).

how does this thing OC?

3d surround?

I'm running a light OC at 2.8, undervolted to 1.1v. Haven't tried to push BCLK past 150.. No need!
You can even do 5 monitors on the Gigabyte H55N. 2 integrated, 3 discrete since the BIOS gives you the option to force integrated gfx on :)

3D Surrond requires 2 GPUs, maybe you can get it with a GTX295?

3D Surrond requires 2 GPUs, maybe you can get it with a GTX295?

or maybe chop the case and get a PCI-E x16 to dual x8 converter card + cables and custom mount them. lol... sounds AWESOME

hrmmm.....480SLI mini-ITX...I could do it with my PSU, that's for sure. can't swing another 480 right now though. still need slim optical, projector, screen and glasses (about $1k).

changing my WHS build a bit:

Da Box 100
abit I-F90HD
Intel Q6600
Corsair H50
2x2GB G.Skill Pi
1x WD Green 1.0TB
1x WD Green 1.5TB
1x WD Black 1.0TB
1x Hitachi 7200RPM 1.0TB
2x Seagate Momentus 500GB 2.5"
1x LG BDROM/HD-DVD/DVD-R/W optical
Strider 850w
1x ASUS dual SATA port + 2x USB3.0 PCI-E

hunting for an i5 750, i7 860 and the dfi mi p55-t36 at the moment... and a slimline BDROM / DVDRW sata drive too

Silly question, but how are you fitting so many harddrives in the "Da Box 100"?

Silly question, but how are you fitting so many harddrives in the "Da Box 100"?

default holds 4x 2.5" by default + 2x 3.5". Lan-Gear is in the process of receiving their already manufactured 2x 3.5" cage to replace the 120mm fan over the PCI slots. I have been told that I will be receiving one, when they come in.

Back