My New Intel 775

lametard

n00b
It's pinless... what kind of motherboard do I need for a 3.40 775? The processor doesn't have any pins, so I'm guessing I need one of the new motherboards with the cover for the processor... are these even out yet? How could a company put out a processor that nobody makes motherboards for. Damn Intel...

you bought a cpu without knowing what motherboard to get??? dont blame intel, blame yourself for not doing the research before you made the purchase.

First of all how did you spend $400 on a cpu with out reading the description? Did you want northwood or prescott? Im assuming you didnt care. I guess I can give you the benefit of the doubt, you wanted a cpu and thought they were all the same.

So what now? Are you going to send it back for a socket 478 P4 or get a new motherboard to accommodate the new cpu(yes there are some available right now)?

newegg had an abit 865PE motherboard with socket 775 on it. at least it uses agp and DDR1 though, so you won't have to worry about spending an extra 200 for something that sucks.

*EDIT* wow, that guy above me posted that when I was typing mine up. yep, that's the board, and I'm planning on getting one.

I actually was going to get the regular pinned P4 3.4 Ghz, but as I was checking out I saw the new processor and assumed it had to be an improvement. I've sent my Tyan board back, and am waiting on the Abit now. We'll see how this 775 goes. Also, to whoever posted the comment about this being my fault, it is. However, it's also my first time building a computer, and it's what a friend recommended me. Thanks for your support though. :rolleyes:

dude, you dumped ~$400 on that cpu? if i was spending $400 on something id be very carefull that i chose the correct hardware and that i was sure i knew what i was buying, even if it was my first time. im sorry, i dont mean to be an asshole but i guess im being one anyway. but it is what it is.

I knew after looking at it that it was the processor I wanted due to the 1 MB cache. I just didn't stumble across a mother board recommendation or anything about the LGA775 system. It was a simple oversight. I've dealt with it nobely though I feel.

RMA that processor now.

I will NEVER buy a LGA775 ever. If you want that 1MB L2 cache, go with the Socket 478 Prescott.

HOWEVER that L2 cache doesn't make a difference vs northwood, just allows it to compete with the northwood.

I reccomend, if your going to waste 400bux, get the 3.4GHz Pentium 4 "Northwood" Socket 478 and a good 865 or 875 Chipset mobo.

If you do decide to keep the processor, remember to keep it cool . I heard that chip gets very hot. I would wait for the high end northwoods to get cheap ie 3.2 to hit ~200. The northwoods have proven to be good performers and got overclock quite a bit.

im not buying another system untill both intel and amd have a mainstream 64bit chip. nacona just came out and im very interested in seeing intels future cpu's such as the 64bit capable prescotts and the banias or dothon based desktop chip.

Non intel chipset boards are coming out july 20/21st, imho I would have just gotten the 2.8 lga775 or the 3.0 lga775 for half the price and overclocked it.

Intel is forcing DDR2 and PCI-E through their top of the line motherboards, so I would wait and get an asus running the pt890 chipset due to its friendly transition (AGP, PCI-E, DDR, and DDR2 on one board) but then you would have to wait out the month.

I just got the gigabyte 915P board and it wont do over 240fsb that OC lock is kicking in so stay away from those boards until a bios can fix it.

I hate LGA775 and therefore I'll likely build a Xeon for my next machine now that it's on the 800MHz FSB.

althes said:
I just got the gigabyte 915P board and it wont do over 240fsb that OC lock is kicking in so stay away from those boards until a bios can fix it.

Gigabyte's have never been the strongest overclocking boards to begin with. And if you're running a 240 FSB, you've already made it past the 10% OC lock that Intel tried to stick in there.

lametard said:
However, it's also my first time building a computer, and it's what a friend recommended me. Thanks for your support though. :rolleyes:

Doesn't sound like a very good friend to me, all my friends would recommend either a Northwood or better yet an A64. The first time I built my PC I researched the hell out of it and got the parts based on the purpose I had in mind for them. :rolleyes:

I hope the Abit board works out and maybe next time you'll pay attention to what your buying. :rolleyes:
Good luck.

Translation of CrimandEvil: You are a rich mommy's boy, who does know what to spend his money on. I hate you.

I would have to agree.

you goofed. it's no big deal but I'd get that motherboard, a northy, or go A64, particularly if you're gaming.

edit: self edited for being unnecessarily mean, and nevermind the AMD suggestion. You're looking for intel. woops

LeadMetal1402 said:
Translation of CrimandEvil: You are a rich mommy's boy, who doesn't know what to spend his money on. I hate you.

I would have to agree.

Thats not really a translation, one would be: His friend gave him bad advice (or was just messing with him) and blew alot of cash on a mediocre CPU and he didn't check it out enough (if at all).

Lord of Shadows said:
Think in terms of future upgradeability.

It would be like buying an analog tv in 2006...

99% of all tv's still sold are analog. Less than 25% of that 1% of hdtvs are being sold. So yeah your comment meants nothing. LGA775 is just like HDTV. Im going to need a very good reason to upgrade to it.

Your missing the point, buying a 478 today would mean having to upgrade to 775 tommorow, when you could have just dont that in the first place.

As for my example, in 2006 in the united states, there will be no analog signal, all tv's will be broadcast in digital, bad example maybe. I dont even know where you got hdtv from, dont see how thats relevant to anything.

I still don't understand why you'd upgrade to a LGA775 when the performance is barely more then the Northwood not to mention all of the crappy you get with a new socket design. :rolleyes:
I think I'll wait for the cores built from Dothan before I go Intel. :D

Hell buying a LGA775 NOW means I'm going to have to upgrade tomorrow anyways once they release the good stuff (Dothan cores).

CrimandEvil said:
I still don't understand why you'd upgrade to a LGA775 when the performance is barely more then the Northwood not to mention all of the crappy you get with a new socket design. :rolleyes:
I think I'll wait for the cores built from Dothan before I go Intel. :D

Hell buying a LGA775 NOW means I'm going to have to upgrade tomorrow anyways once they release the good stuff (Dothan cores).

The problem is, if you go PCI Express, you *have* to go LGA775 if you stay with Intel (PCI Express and LGA 775 are hand in hand).

Also, for some rather odd reason, at the same clock speed, LGA775 costs *less* than S478 (even at NewEgg). In addition, the faster Prescotts will *never* ship in S478 (the forthcoming P4/560, for example, will be LGA775-only).

If you are going to stay S478, get a Northwood, not a Prescott.

Back