My new build doesn't turn on.

DarrisBard

Limp Gawd
I'm using Biostar tp55 motherboard, and OCZ 500w modxstream psu. I plugged in the a-data ram, and the i5 cpu, everything is hooked up, all the power button wires etc.

When I plugged in from the wall to the psu and flicked the i/o switch to i, nothing happened. Is it a defective psu? What do you suggest?

Edit: Since the psu fan doesn't even spin when it isn't connected to anything but the power, i think I'll exchange it for a new one, unless you guys have a good insight.

Last edited:
did you by chance forget the standoffs or similar?

furthermore, you'll have to hit the power switch on the PC after switching the PSU "on"

did you by chance forget the standoffs or similar?

furthermore, you'll have to hit the power switch on the PC after switching the PSU "on"

Thanks for your reply. I did use standoffs and I did try the power button...maybe I hooked those wrong to the motherboard?

Thanks for your reply. I did use standoffs and I did try the power button...maybe I hooked those wrong to the motherboard?

hooked what wrong?

the power switch needs to be on the proper jumpers (So recheck that connection) but doesn't have asigned polarity (only the LEDs care about polarity)

does the motherboard by chance have a power on button built into it? try that

also, any chance the board has a standby/power light that turns on? (some boards do, some dont, just an LED that lights up to let you know its receiving power)

Right so reversing the power switch cables on the front panel connector doesn't matter. There is a power switch on the mobo which I can try.

I've been doing this build while I'm sick and I'm feeling pretty bad so I am going to crash. I'll deal with this situation tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

Right so reversing the power switch cables on the front panel connector doesn't matter. There is a power switch on the mobo which I can try.

I've been doing this build while I'm sick and I'm feeling pretty bad so I am going to crash. I'll deal with this situation tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

so if the switch on the mainboard doesn't work, and it isn't something stupid like a bad power strip, then I'd look at hardware failure as an option, starting with the PSU or mainboard (And since you can likely RMA as much of this gear as you want right now, just tag and bag both of them and don't bother with it)

That PSU is not exactly the best, and Biostar, while improving a lot in recent years, is still not top tier, so there are a couple potential issues there.

Try powering the motherboard from outside of the case, on top of the motherboard box (NOT on top of the anti-static bag), to minimize the possibility of the case shorting out the board. Start with the processor, one stick of RAM, the hard drive, and the video card.

Further details are available in the troubleshooting sticky on the first page.

Wait, so does the PSU turn on? If not, try the paperclip trick.

Ok I switched around the power connector and everything worked.

Windows installed and everything is up and running but I do have one major concern.

When I was going through the install menus I hit format on my hard drive but it didn't appear to do anything. Windows installed anyway...when I look at the drive in device manager it doesn't have anything about volumes. Do I need to reformat?

It does say NTFS in C:

Wow I'm noob.

Wouldn't worry about it. If it's working and the capacity is what it should be I wouldn't worry about it.

Awesome thanks.

Temperatures look normal, things are just working. Time to finish installing my programs.

Back