My New 8800GTS G92

MoBsTa

Limp Gawd
Well yesterday I finally replaced my old 7600GT with a DX10 Card, the XFX 8800GTS G92 512XXX. Unfortunately, the performance of the card is not all that good and is about the same to the 7600(EVGA 7600 256MB). Sometimes my FPS rates are even lower.
I tested the card in CS:S and I noticed that all the Video Setting were the same... No antialiasing.... nothing different. I did not change anything and I wanted to get playing right away on my new rig. I am very disappointed, for the performance is about the same,if not, worse.
The driver version I am using is 169.32
ALSO!!!! When i start up my computer, I hear a loud fan noise coming from the GPU and i was wondering if this is normal...

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I AM DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS 300.00 Card. Any advice is appreciated.

My PC Specs:
DFi Infinity NF570 M2/G Mobo
AMD Athlon 64X2 6400+(3.2Ghz)BE
2 GB Of RAM
-Kingston Hyper X
-G.Skill
XFX 8800GTS XXX 512MB G92
80 Gb HD
550 Watt Rosewill Performance PSU

Thanks.

uninstall drivers, restart in safe mod, run driver cleaner or the free guru 3d driver sweeper, reinstall drivers

Well yesterday I finally replaced my old 7600GT with a DX10 Card, the XFX 8800GTS G92 512XXX. Unfortunately, the performance of the card is not all that good and is about the same to the 7600(EVGA 7600 256MB). Sometimes my FPS rates are even lower.
I tested the card in CS:S and I noticed that all the Video Setting were the same... No antialiasing.... nothing different. I did not change anything and I wanted to get playing right away on my new rig. I am very disappointed, for the performance is about the same,if not, worse.
The driver version I am using is 169.32
ALSO!!!! When i start up my computer, I hear a loud fan noise coming from the GPU and i was wondering if this is normal...

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I AM DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS 300.00 Card. Any advice is appreciated.

My PC Specs:
DFi Infinity NF570 M2/G Mobo
AMD Athlon 64X2 6400+(3.2Ghz)BE
2 GB Of RAM
-Kingston Hyper X
-G.Skill
XFX 8800GTS XXX 512MB G92
80 Gb HD
550 Watt Rosewill Performance PSU

Thanks.

ahem return it and go to newegg and buy it again for like 225 or less after rebate. or better yet wait and graba 9800gts on march 25th if u willing to spend 300-350

uninstall drivers, restart in safe mod, run driver cleaner or the free guru 3d driver sweeper, reinstall drivers

I already tried that, but thanks.

Do you think the card can be bad?? It works... just poorly. More advice please

At startup of the computer your fan will run 100% for a few seconds. This is normal. It will be heard.

If you are experiencing no performance gain with the card then something is wrong either in drivers, your game or it is throttling back. If not enough juice is seen at the card's PCIe power connector you may run underclocked by the card (not sure, just something that has happened to me on numerous nvidia cards).

How many other games besides CS:S did you check. Did you bench before and after using some tool like 3DMark? You may have a CS:S issue as well.

Did you try running 3D mark 2006 and see what score you got? How does your 7600GT score in 3D mark 2006?

Did you plug in the external PCIe power connector? I only ask because the 7600GT didn't need it, and the performance you're describing sounds like you missed it.

Well i reinstalled CS:S to see if that was the problem..and got the same results.. I will install COD4 tomorrow and see the performance difference.. if problem occurs again, i will test on 3DMark06... Thanks.

Did you plug in the external PCIe power connector? I only ask because the 7600GT didn't need it, and the performance you're describing sounds like you missed it.

yes i connected an external 6 pin power connector.

I'd try reinstalling Windows.

I just upgraded from a 7900 GT to an 8800 GTS 512 a couple days ago and have noticed a huge increase in frame rate.

I just upgraded from a 7900 GT to an 8800 GTS 512 a couple days ago and have noticed a huge increase in frame rate.

haha -1 for that thought

If you are experiencing no performance gain with the card then something is wrong either in drivers, your game or it is throttling back. If not enough juice is seen at the card's PCIe power connector you may run underclocked by the card (not sure, just something that has happened to me on numerous nvidia cards).

+1.... whats ntune or your program of choice saying your card is clocked at? its either not gettin enough juice in which case i believe an alarm would sound, its running under clocked, or you have a driver problem. reinstalling windows will give you a fresh start but lol well you know what a pain that is.. and its needless

Have you installed Gpu-z and Rivatuner? These programs help in identifying most issues such as temps, noise etc. Riva tuner helps you see what your shaders, core, mem, is set to.

I have the 169.21 driver for XP and 169.25 for vista (both on 32 bit version) and it spins to 100% when the computer is booted up but quietens after 3 seconds.

I think you should use driver cleaner professional edition (thats what i used) to uninstall old and then re-install the new drivers. I think it might be worth giving it another shot before you finally return it if all else fails.

Just my 2 cents

I just replaced a 7950gx2 today with a evga 8800gts 512 as well. I am rather pleased with the results, sorry to rub it in.

I did a complete reinstall of the OS, mostly because Vista SP1 was release today so I wanted a fresh start.

I am assuming you're using drivers 169.25 correct?

I would check for loose power connectors to the video card, and check to see if you have the proper ampheres on your psu for the rails.

The drivers i am using are 169.32, and i got them for the XFX website.

I will install NTune and Rivatuner to check my clocks,temps,etc when I return from work. TY for advice.

I have used Driver Cleaner PRO to uninstall old drivers from 7600GT.

I will reply with results from NTune and Rivatuner later on.

-Thanks

CSS isn't going to change its settings to a new recommended setup. Just do it manually.

That's bad advice really.....just changing vid cards does not require an OS reinstall typically, unless something seriously got FUBAR'ed....doubtful if the rig was working before.

And I know some swear by it, but I have NEVER used Driver Cleaner. If you update the drivers properly and/or use the rollback to revert drivers, outside software is not needed. I have never had a system fubar from changing a vid card and driver. I DO uninstall the previous driver before swapping cards though, that's just common sense to do....

Hey MoBsTa:
You might also try the current nvidia recommended driver for that card, 169.21. The 169.32 is an 8800GS-only release according to them. Not that this will solve the prob. Just adding to your to-do list :D

I did almost the exact same upgrade (BFG 7600GT OC to Galaxy 8800GTS 512). I upgraded my Foreware drivers (first version that support GTS512 - 169.11?) before I received the 8800 with no song-and-dance, no safe mode, no driver cleaners. When the 8800gts arrived I dropped it in, connected the PCI-E extra power, buttoned it up and booted. After the hardware discovery phase and one reboot in 800x600 or something I was back in business with the GTS and much higher performance.

Check your PSU ratings, cabling, GPU-Z, PCI-E x1 vs. x16 in the BIOS.

A simple benchmark will tell us what's up. The score in 3DMark06 should be ~10k+ for your rig. Also, the clocks from GPU-z will tell us the situation on throttling.

What would be suspect on that Rosewill PSU, quality? He should have enough juice theoretically. Is this the one? HERE

A simple benchmark will tell us what's up. The score in 3DMark06 should be ~10k+ for your rig. Also, the clocks from GPU-z will tell us the situation on throttling.

What would be suspect on that Rosewill PSU, quality? He should have enough juice theoretically. Is this the one? HERE

Thats not my PSU BUT VERY SIMILAR. Mine has two 80MM fans on bottom and side.

I will check GPU-z and post the results.

Thats not my PSU BUT VERY SIMILAR. Mine has two 80MM fans on bottom and side.

I will check GPU-z and post the results.

I ran into slow performance when i first installed my GTS- it was the 1x issue - heres a link to the thread. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1260017&page=2

BAD

pcix1.jpg

GOOD

pcix16.jpg

UPDATE:

I ran GPU-Z and here are the results...
GPU G92GTS Revision A2

Technology 65nm Die Size 330m2

Bios Version 62.92.16.00.42

ROPs 16 Bus Interface PCI-E 2.0x16 @x16

Shaders 128 DirectX Support 10/SM4.0
Pixel Fillrate 10.8GPixels/s Texture Fillrate 10.8 GTexel/s
Memory Type GDDR3 Bus Width 256 bit
Memory Size 512mb Bandwith 62.2GB/s
Forceware 169.32
GPU Clock 678Mhz Memory 972Mhz Shader 1700Mhz
Default Clock 678Mhz Memory 972Mhz Shader 1700Mhz

So everything seems ok here... Ima do 3dMark06 and tell you the results.

I have a very similar machine, here is my GPU-Z:

GPU G92GTS Revision A2
Bios Version 62.92.25.00.07
Pixel Fillrate 10.8GPixels/s Texture Fillrate 37.8GTexel/s
Forceware 169.32
GPU Clock 675Mhz Memory 972Mhz Shader 1674Mhz
Default Clock 675Mhz Memory 972Mhz Shader 1674Mhz

Only difference is the GTexels/s
Also, for the 1st rig per my sig, 3DMark06 is ~9700

I have a very similar machine, here is my GPU-Z:

GPU G92GTS Revision A2
Bios Version 62.92.25.00.07
Pixel Fillrate 10.8GPixels/s Texture Fillrate 37.8GTexel/s
Forceware 169.32
GPU Clock 675Mhz Memory 972Mhz Shader 1674Mhz
Default Clock 675Mhz Memory 972Mhz Shader 1674Mhz

Only difference is the GTexels/s
Also, for the 1st rig per my sig, 3DMark06 is ~9700

And your games work okay??? Cause that may be the problem.

OK!!! I finally got 3dmark06 done and my score was:

That seems a bit low by 2-4k.

I have no idea what the problem is because i talked to a CS from XFX and they said my PSU is fine, RAM is fine, Mobo is fine.... Any more advice before I get a replacement?

Thanks

Yeah that is to low my rig gets me about 9700 in 3dmarks. I got my cpu at 3.0ghz my 8800gs at 680 core 800 memory so you should at least beat me so there is something wrong.

UPDATE: I tried 3dMark06 again and got 8954... Not much of an increase but a little.

The only resolution I have now before I get a replacement is reinstalling windows..

Please help.

You should be getting at least 10k so I would recommend reinstalling windows if fixing drivers doesn't help. Also do you have the amd dual core optimizer installed?

Ehh no I don't have an and dual core optimizer installed, where would I get this?

- thanks

im thinkin its only a 550watt psu from memory lol

thats like minimal for such a card,

Alright, i installed Dual Core Optimizer and Drivers

ALSO my chipset drivers for my Mobo

and now my 3dmark is 8938...
Went down by a little but still not much of an decrease ...

Should i get a replacement?
Advice please.

If you can't get it higher I would probably suggest reformatting. Can you post your 3dmark sm2, sm3 and cpu score please so we can get an idea of what is causing the problem.

Probably it's caused by a driver malfunction, if you have nothing to lose, reinstall Windows. I'm almost certain that it'll solve your problem since I've never knew any video card low performanced by a hardware problem...

Back