My MSI GTX 970 died today

equinox654

Gawd
So, I was sitting here playing reign of kings and the computer shuts off. When I get the side of the case off. It smells like the power supply burnt up. So I take that out and start testing parts in another pc.

Come to find out its 970 that's dead... Smells like burnt electronics. I cant see any burn marks on it.

I'm not going to take the heat sink off to inspect it... seeing as how I need to rma it. Just judging from smell it seems to be coming from near the display connectors.

Has this happened to anyone else? Guess I'm gonna rma it tomorrow. Anyone had any luck with video card rmas to MSI?

I wouldn't even take the heatsink off and I would just send it in. Don't give them a possible reason to blame you. I don't have experience with MSI RMAs though. Sorry to hear about the unfortunate events and I hope you get it sorted quickly.

There's an MSI rep on [H] (Eugene Kuo) if you ever need some extra help with the RMA.

The fan closest to the outputs may have failed or gotten stuck without you knowing. As far as I know there is only one sensor for fan speed on these, so if the larger interior fan is still spinning any monitoring software you use will not show the failure of the other fan.

Back