My Lian Li PC-Q7 Build

EazyM3

Limp Gawd
Anyone know what is the biggest HSF (without fan) I can fit into a pc-q7 while using a Corsair 400 psu? I think I have about 70mm or less, but not totally sure. Will this fit? Anything better?

COOLER MASTER GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GP 120mm
Fan Dimensions 120 x 120 x 25mm
Heatsink Dimensions 124 x 118.4 x 62mm
35-103-046-03.jpg

If you are looking to use that cooler, I'm guessing you have some sort of quad core processor. The pc-q7 supposedly, has been revealed now, is not "meant" for higher power processors; it's meant more for atom processors. I think you can get this cooler to fit in most SSF but will most likely need a thinner fan. Someone recommended one to me before but I lost the link.

Hope is not lost though, pc-q08 is going to be out soon, which is meant for bigger graphics cards and I'm hoping, also powerful processors.

Here is what I currently have:
  • zotac 9300 (just bought in the for sale section an hour ago from AP2!)
  • e8400 ($85 on Craigslist)
  • corsair 400cx ($30)
  • lian li pc-q7 ($55 shipped a few months ago)
  • crucial ballistix 2x2gb RAM (spare)
  • 2.5 7200 laptop drive (spare)

As you hinted earlier, I already have another PC-Q7 running WHS with an Intel board and dual atom chip powered by a PicoPSU. I liked the case so much, I bought an extra PC-Q7 just for kicks a few months ago and now have accumulated enough spare parts for another Mini-ITX build.

If I added a 120mm intake fan in the front, do you guys think I can run the Gemini heatsink fanless? With the Corsair 400cx so close to the heatsink, I suppose the PSU fan can act as an exhaust and pull heat away from the Gemini...

Here's some updates...

I basically added a 120mm intake fan and hacked up my brand new Corsair 400wx to minimize cabling. ;)
IMG_3991Medium.jpg

IMG_3986Medium.jpg

Here's the rear view with the new 120mm fan that barely fit...
IMG_3987Medium.jpg

IMG_3995Medium.jpg

Whats the biggest and best video card one can fit in one of those Lian Li Q7 Cases?

I was hoping that the new Radeon HD5830 cards would fit, but i think thats out of the question.

Nice thing about this LianLi case is that you can actually put a good high powered PSU in it to power a high end vid card, unfortunately the case looks to small to even add a high end vid card?

The vid card need's to be shorter than 8" in order to fit, shorter than 7.5" if it has power connector(s) on the back (and not the side) .. so yes, that excludes many if not all high end video cards (perhaps, depends on the definition of "high end"), but there are quite capable video cards that will fit (+ the case can accommodate vid. cards with tall coolers)

The vid card need's to be shorter than 8" in order to fit, shorter than 7.5" if it has power connector(s) on the back (and not the side) .. so yes, that excludes many if not all high end video cards (perhaps, depends on the definition of "high end"), but there are quite capable video cards that will fit (+ the case can accommodate vid. cards with tall coolers)

powercolor pcs+ 5770 will fit in length of this case , i should have picture later today .

DSCN0428_thumb.jpg

[/URL]

DSCN0424_thumb.jpg

[/URL]

Jen

Last edited:
I'm holding my breath for that one too .. the case is 8" long, most 5770 cards are 8.5" long, but Powercolor's appears to be shorter. If it fits, than the new XFX 5830 might fit too (if they create a single PCI bracket variant that is) as it seems to use a PCB of the same length.

ha ... I've been waiting for a notification from this thread of another Jen's post ... but Jen sneakily updated an earlier post instead ;) ... yeah, 5770 fits, but I guess a few folks will have to wait for a card that's short AND single slot (at least when it comes to PCI slot covers).

I also have to eat my words about shorter 5830 from XFX -- the site I've been reading now says XFX went ahead with standard length PCB (same as 5850).

EasyM3, PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE, bring the pictures back.

Back