Abit NF7-S
CPU
Athlon 2000 XP at 2138 mhz
GPU
Radeon AIW 9700pro
Ram
ddr 266 mixed brands 896 MB
Sound
Nforce-2 from mobo and SB Audigy (use audigy for EAX HD)
Lan
Wireless D-link nic 11 mb
Peripherals
Logitech MX wireless duo
Monitor
Panasonic PTLC-5013 (50" HDTV rptvlcd)
Reciever
Denon AVR 3200 (with Pinnacle speakers and DIY subwoofer)
Cable tuner
Motorola 5100 (with optical audio and DVI connections)
Software
Windows XP
ATI MMC
Various DVD players
FFdshow

I mainly use my HTPC to watch DVD's, gaming and record tv.

I watch DVD's using sonic dvd player with ffdshow for enhancement.I am very satified with this dvd setup and the one to one pixel mapping I get is excellent except for the slight overscan.

I use ATI's software for recording using S-video since component recording is not available.
I get pretty good quality on DVD setting and have tons of harddrive space left. It only records stereo and S-video so no HDTV recording is done (waiting for HDTV wonder).

Audio I mainly use the soundstorm to encode dolby digital to my reciever for surround sound using the optical connection. It sounds pretty good on my stereo system. I use the Audigy to enable EAX HD on certain games like Unreal 2004 using the six channel input on my reciever.

I have wireless access though my dlink card so internet acess is always available (great for browsing, maps, exc). I have the logitech mx duo wireless kit but their range is about a foot short of my couch so I have to move the transmitter in front of my htpc when gaming from the couch. My HDTV is the Panasonic rear projection lcd pt50lc13 which is 50" and is 1280 by 720 widescreen resolution. I chose this TV over the DLP for the rainbow issues. I get one to one pixel mapping on this tv that is every pixel on the tv is actually displayed from the computer and not interpolated like other HDTV's that can't resolve 1280 by 720 pixels at once not interlaced or analog. My graphics card the AIW 9700pro can deliver awesome anti-aliased images at 1280 by 720 with all the features on which makes up for the lower resoultion on the 50" screen. I am very satisfied with this setup and recomend it to everybody. I can't express how awesome Unreal Tournament 2004 on a 50 inch sceen with full antialiasing looks. This tv has regular VGA connections and DVI (which I use exclusively) it will also display non widescreen images in their true aspect ration though black bars will be on the side. The best part is this TV is NOT CRT technology and there fore suffers NO burn in. When watching regular tv I switch to component input on the tv and coaxial audio on my reciever experiencing true 5.1 sound and HDTV picture.

If you have any questions or I left out some parts your interested in feel free to ask.

Looks pretty good but I'd look into getting a hardware based encoder, the IQ is a world of difference. What case do you use? What are your FFDShow settings?

yeah, my dad just bought a DLP tv and it looks fantastic. i think in general the DLP tvs look better than any others. not that i'm an expert or anything though . . . .

What are these "rainbow issues" you mentioned? I'm about to buy a DLP, and I've heard nothing about this ...

Allow me to point you to the greatest AV forum on the internet.

www.avsforum.com

this thread here should shead some light for you.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=407390&highlight=rainbow

PLEASE UNDERSTAND ONE THING!!!!! The rainbow effect is more prevalent in some people than others, so please dont make up your mind until you see for yourself. I dont see them and I think the RP DLP's have one of the highest PQ's I've seen in a TV today. Make the decision based on what you see, not someone's opinion.

If you can't see rainbows DO NOT look for them . I didn't see them at first either until I found an example on AVS now I cannot stop seeing them. Seriously donot look for them if you can't see them ignorance is bliss.

Ahhh the beauty of CRTs, no fixed pixel structure, no screen door and no rainbows. ;)

MaddJoser said:
If you can't see rainbows DO NOT look for them . I didn't see them at first either until I found an example on AVS now I cannot stop seeing them. Seriously donot look for them if you can't see them ignorance is bliss.

I only wish to educate. It's quite possible that you will never ever see them, but he should be aware they exist because I know if it were me, and I spent 3K+ on a TV only to find out 6 months down the line I can see those rainbows even though I didnt at the time of purchase, I would be one pissed off MFer. Yes I agree that ignorance is bliss, but when I spend that kind of jack, I would want to know everything. That's what makes AVS so nice. They dont bullshit around. :)

But yes I agree, if you cant see them don't try and look for them or it will ruin your experience and you might settle for something less. Even with rainbows (which I dont see) I still think RP DLP's have the best PQ out there. And when the HLP's come, it can only get better. :)

*We are now taking you back to our originally scheduled topic*

haha THREAD JACKING IN PROGRESS!

Seriously though, let me ask this. The Samsung DLP I'm looking at doesn't have 1080. It says 720. I don't really know what that means, but I'm assuming it's lines of resolution? Will I notice a big difference if I don't have 1080? This TV will be my main TV and it will run my digital cable, dvd, and HTPC.

Difference between 1080i and 720p are basically 720p is progressive like a computer monitor and 1080i is interlaced. Some prefer 720p others 1080i, it really is personal opinion. Your tv will convert anything to its native resolution of 720p so dont worry about it.

DLP is nice but far from the best for PQ out there. I will take a CRT any day over a DLP in any form, RPTV, FP whatever.

I will admit for just regular DVD and Satelite/cable or for the average non HTPC joe CRT is best.

When you want to do gaming and pc applications though CRT is not best IMHO and I'll give couple of reasons:

DLP/LCD are 1280 by 720 progressive like your pc NOT interlaced like your 27" tv.

DLP/LCD display 1:1 pixel mapping like a pc lcd, crt cannot achieve this.

DLP/LCD look sharper for the above reason when displayng PC images and text.

DLP/LCD are brighter than CRT technology meaning you can use them in your living room not a special dark home theater room. They also have a wider horizontal viewing angle.

DLP/LCD weigh ALOT LESS than CRT tv's my Panasonic weighs like 80 pounds compared to hundreds for CRT's. Think about moving that behemoth CRT.

DLP/LCD are smaller than CRT no longer are those huge cabinets needed to house all that crt hardware. IMHO much more asthetically pleasing no more big black ugly cabinets.

DLP/LCD have VGA and DVI interface and NATIVELY support pc connections and resolutions. Which means no more timing issues where you have to make a resoulution to display like 1000i or what ever it takes to make a CRT work. No more power strip frustrations to get it to work.

DLP/LCD have crisp text and images since they have 1280 by 720 native resolution unlike crt where the text is usually blurry or to small due to those weird timings you have to use. Yes you can browse from your couch comfortably no squinting or flickering.

There is no ghosting contrary to what CRT supporters may tell you. I watch hocky and basketball regularly and have seen no blurring/ghosting.

Panasonic LCD has two VGA inputs one DVI and four component inputs this TV comes ready to be a multimedia display not just a TV. Most CRT tv's if they even have DVI will not support computer connections.

Ummm my Ampro 4600 can support 1080p and displays an image that no fixed pixel display can touch PERIOD. Ask any true videophile and they will still tell you CRT is king.

There are advantages to both technologies no doubt and size/weight is a huge advantage for fixed pixel displays, however you were saying for PQ quality DLP is tops.

Bighitter

You are comparing a CRT front projector costing many thousands more than most RPTV's

I am talking RPTV like most people think when they hear HDTV. I bought my panasonic for $2499 plus $399 for the 5 year warranty. This is a reasonable cost most people can expect to pay for this TV which IMHO is an EXCELLENT VALUE. Your AMPPRO 4600 while an excellent FRONT projector is not in the same league either price wise or quality wise. I think your projector cannot even be bought at most retail stores except for Elite home theater stores. The DLP and LCD RPTV's on the other hand are avaiable at most stores and affordable to most people. If you are trolling I have sadly fallen for your trap, however if you honestly regaurd your FRONT projector as better than my RP LCD TV you are most likely right. I was just expressing my opinion as stated and what I thought about my HTPC, Do you even use your expensive projector as a HTPC I know I wouldn't?

Here's an eye opening link
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/isf/michaeltlv/isf_calibrator_tours_denver_michaeltlv.html

Quote:
A lot of fun for this day and it finished up with some disappointing results in the area of HDTV resolution. The set was supposed to be able to display 2500 x 2000 with its 9" crt's but when the HD generator was turned on, it was apparent that even the 1920x1080 signal could not be fully displayed as well. He was probably getting 1400 to 1500 lines and nothing more.

That speaks for itself.

Madd,

That is your opinion and you are free to express that; I was just offering a counter opinion.

BTW my expensive projector was purchased by me for less than you paid for your DLP RPTV. And yes I use my htpc for my "expensive projector" because it can produce a better picture than some high end line doublers and triplers that I have worked with during customer installs.

For my everyday HD viewing I use my Hitachi 57SWX20B which when it was new (little under 2 years ago) was considered one of the best RPTV's available only slightly trailing the much more expensive Pioneer Elite series and the few Mitsubishi models which used 9" crts.

I work in the A/V industry now and get the luxury of playing with video displays FAR outside my budget but honestly I have yet to see a plasma/dlp/lcd that I would give up my CRT RPTV for serious HDTV viewing. Same goes for my projector for critical HD viewing.

Yes I have read the article before and it was interesting, so I can only resolve 960p I can deal with that too ;)

Ok one last time I have an LCD RPTV not a DLP.

I have already said your setup is probably better than mine what more do you want?

Honestly how much does that projector RETAIL (the way most of us would buy it) for ?

I use my Panasonic for everyday watching AND htpc in my living room no need for a second daily TV or pc. I use my tv for hdtv and pc setup as is in my living room no need for a projection screen, dark room, special lighting nothing.

I think most of us have no inside connections for used equipment so what we buy must be pretty versatile.

1500 lines does not eqaul 960p if 1920 x 1080 then 1500 x 843 is the proper ratio not 960
if you use 1400 then the result is less than 100 lines of resolution diffrence between LCD and your projector, again how much does your projector cost to those of us without inside connections? and you admit it is NOT your daily display. (projector + Hitachi HDTV) > LCD TV cost wise nuff said.You opinion is a valid one but NOT an apples to apples comparison thats all I have to say on this subject.

Holy carp I just found some prices for those projectors $25,000 - $30,000 retail and $5,000 to $10,000 used. You better get 10 times the quality is all I have to say you have no shame comparing a $3,000 tv to a $30,000 projector. I hope you got some sucky sucky with that for those prices. Again for us NORMAL people (those without 10's of thousands to spend) I think my tv is an excellent value when you consider the price of those crt projectors it's even better.

We obviously have different uses for our equipment and what we want out of them, the different angles we are taking on this discusion shows that.

I was more referring to your comment about DLP RPTVs being supperior and guess I missed where you said you had an LCD RPTV.

I have a dedicated theater so that I don't have to go to the movies and deal with annoying people on thier cell phones or out of focus projectors or any of the other hassles.

We have different opinions and will leave it at that since my RPTV compared to your RPTV isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Very nice, must admit that is a very sharp picture too. Looks like you will have alot of fun with that now go enjoy.

thanks for the compliment. I must admit I am envious of not having a good projector I'm sure you also enjoy your HTPC. The colors, sharpness and brightness were off on some of the pics you know a cheap sony digital camera does not do HDTV's justice. I also wanted to show true pics not screen capture as that does not show the true image displayed with overscan and all the other cons and positives. I'm off to see the second half of the NBA finals in HDTV.

To the guys with CRT RPTVs: aren't you afraid of burn-in using your PC for extended periods of time on the television? I'm scared to death just to play my XBOX for longer than an hour on my Sony HDTV. Are my fears unneccessary?

If you have your display calibrated to reasonable levels (keeping contrast low and not overdriving the guns) you should have no problem with a CRT based RPTV. I have played X-Box on my Hitachi 57SWX20B since I bought it almost 2 years ago now, sometimes almost an entire day straight and I have no burn-in. Every person who buys an tv should purchase this dvd, its cheap and easy to follow and will make a world of difference in picture quality.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back