My first wooden case....

pretty awesome. Looks like it took a lot of work and a long time.. Good job!

That looks amazing! Nice work!

You should post this in the worklogs subforum too. I'm sure it'll help inspire others on here!

Love the layering of the wood and the curves give it a really cool, organic vibe; technology and nature blended via craftsman. Kinda reminds me of Carl Thompson's layered basses (like Les Claypools rainbow bass). The power button is tres' chic. Not keen on the 4 inserts/dowels at the top giving off the butterfly/flower bloom motif, but that's just me and it's a great touch that imparts a lot of style. Really awesome stuff man. Methinks slipperyskip would give you a big thumbs up :)

Just don't put a gtx590 in there or you'll burn the place down. *rimshot*

Thanks guys for the appreciations!
@ Faulkton - yes, it took me a lot of time. fortunately I've got a 5-axis cnc! :D
@ Patrick - unfortunately I did't take other photo/video. If I build other wooden Pc I will surely be more detailed
@ coconutboy - the 4 petals were non planned. I carved it to cover an error in the layers glueing... :rolleyes:
@ spike - You're right! in fact there's an overheating problem. I must absolutely change the CPU heatsink. Do you have any advices? at full load the processor reaches 85 ° C instead of 73° C reported by Intel ...... : D
There's a restriction: it must be quite flat

Thank You and sorry for my english!

Links no worky...

I'm an idiot.....
-
5550967625_939a362b35_b.jpg

-
5550968975_77fe3f5b05_b.jpg

-
5550970287_4580fb946d_b.jpg

-
5550972003_6f10819ae4_b.jpg

-
5550981709_ab7c553000_b.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I'm glad I got you to post these pics. That's a really great looking little case! Nicely done.

Tip: Use the

I'm interested in trying some advanced woodworking like this - pardon my ignorance, but what tool(s) do you use to carve out the shape after gluing on a layer of wood?

Wow, awesome case! I do have a question though... Are the different layers just different stains on the same wood, or are they actually different kinds of wood? If the latter, I would be worried that over time the layers would end up splitting apart due to different expansion and contraction characteristics of the different kinds of wood. Is this something you designed around?

I'd be proud to have that case on my desk, regardless :) Nice work.

Wow, awesome case! I do have a question though... Are the different layers just different stains on the same wood, or are they actually different kinds of wood? If the latter, I would be worried that over time the layers would end up splitting apart due to different expansion and contraction characteristics of the different kinds of wood. Is this something you designed around?

I'd be proud to have that case on my desk, regardless :) Nice work.
Thanks jamsomito! The layers are made by different kinds of wood (ash, fir, italian walnut, cherry, beech, oak). I knew the risks and for that I've chosen pieces of wood completely dry (I don't know if the word "dry" is correct and specific for wood). Some pieces have been in my lab for years. I've spread a lot of glue too. Hope this is enough.
The case has been completely designed, glued, carved and assembled by myself.
I've never seen something similar before. Don't TRUST imitations! :D

@ spike - You're right! in fact there's an overheating problem. I must absolutely change the CPU heatsink. Do you have any advices? at full load the processor reaches 85 ° C instead of 73° C reported by Intel ...... : D
There's a restriction: it must be quite flat

Thank You and sorry for my english!

That looks great. Its unique, well constructed, and will look just awesome sitting on a desk. Now the bad news.... you didn't design enough airflow for it. It only has one intake fan for everything, and that fan has reduced air-intake because of the way the slots are. A better CPU cooler will help a little, but there is too much heat build-up in the case with all the components. Underclocking and undervolting will help some, you might want to check into that. I wish I could come up with a better answer for you, but you need more air intake and more exhaust if you want it cooler. :(

Oh jeez, I just made a mess in my pants by looking at this case.

That looks great. Its unique, well constructed, and will look just awesome sitting on a desk. Now the bad news.... you didn't design enough airflow for it. It only has one intake fan for everything, and that fan has reduced air-intake because of the way the slots are. A better CPU cooler will help a little, but there is too much heat build-up in the case with all the components. Underclocking and undervolting will help some, you might want to check into that. I wish I could come up with a better answer for you, but you need more air intake and more exhaust if you want it cooler. :(

Thanks for the advice! During my normal work, I never exceed the Intel standard temperature. I got 85° C with a stress software as Sisoft Sandra.
Currently I only look after the aesthetic aspect. I can improve adding some opening ad changing the heatsink.
Probably it won't be enough. In this case, as you write, i will go with underclocking.
But remember. This isn't an high performance Pc. It's a piece of furniture even if it's a good computer.

The only way I can see to improve airflow without destroying the beauty of the case is to drill holes in the 4 "petals" in an intricate shape. IMO that could add some character to the case and still let some of the heat vent out the top. This might work similarly to a blowhole on regular computer cases. If you do this I would suggest after drilling the holes ream them out on the inside to make them bigger on the inside than the outside. That should help the air flow through better.

The case looks just awesome, I hate to even suggest altering the looks, but thats the only thing I could think of to make it cooler.

Try some type of thin thermal insulation on the inside of the case to keep the wood from absorbing the heat from the system. Ideally, try some type of epoxy resin coating inside and then apply the thermal insulation.

That looks really cool, you did a good job on that case. How long did it take you to make?

@Direfox @tikiman2012 Thanks for the advices! I'll make a good use!
@cheapo I can't say exactly how long it took. surely a lot of time.. but it was the first Pc I've ever made. And I did it in my spare time. Maybe 15-20 hours

Real nice worksmanship there! Made me rethink my coming casemod alot actually :)
If i may thow in a quick question here: in the first picture you can see the surface is covered with s lot of small circles. Makes me wonder what tecnique u used to carve the wood?

*edit* Nvm, read throu thread once more and saw you used a cnc;) soz

You have some skill bud. I like it alot! How about you put a nice stain and clear finish on that baby and call it a day?

Hi guys, I'm back. I need your help.
Does this pc need a faraday cage?? I know nothing about electro magnetism.
What can I do to improve the screening?

Looks like to me that the PSU is sucking all the intake air from the front fan into the PSU and exhausting it rather than blowing cool air over the cpu heatsink. And you dont need a faraday cage or anything.

Is it possible for you to slot the leaf designs on the top and add a couple fans (or one large one) underneath them, that way you can remove the existing intake fan and the top fan(s) that you add would passively pull air in across the system and exaust the heat through the top in a natural kind of way.

gees man great job, looks like this took some time. my friend made a case out of a fish tank lol

Back