My dad is looking for a new camera

ARN

Gawd
He is looking in the range of $300 - $825.
He wants manual controls while still being able to point-and-shoot if needed.

We were looking at the nikons and the coolpix 5700 looked good except i was worried about buying a camera that is 2 years old, but it has a very good price.
$719 - 150 mail in rebate = $569
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=30-113-102&DEPA=7

The 8700 was the other one we were looking at and it looks very good, but he wasnt sure if he needed something that good. We were also curious what was the difference between the 8700 and the 5700 other than the extra megapixels.
$824.95
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=30-113-117&DEPA=7

My dad was looking in consumer reports and also saw the Kodak Easyshare DX6490 which i couldnt find at newegg, but i found it elsewhere for $325. It has a 10x opt zoom.

Those three were just some examples of what we were looking at please dont feel limited to just those. And where is the best place to buy these cameras? i just assumed it was newegg but if there is somewhere else please tell me.

Thanks in advance.

Ignore consumer reports, people often don't know what crap they have.

try

www.dcresource.com

dpreview is also ok, but it probably won't have reviews for 90% the cameras you are looking into

i really like the coolpix 5700.

the best deal i have found is at buydig
i like the upgrade executive kit
it comes with the camera and
512 mb compact flash card
carrying case
lens cleaning kit

all for 568.99 after 150 mail in rebate which is neweggs price for just the camera.
http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=NKCP5700

has anyone bought from buydig before? they got an 8.57 from resellerratings.com so i think i can trust them.

EDIT: thanks for the website it was very informative

i have been reading some more reviews and the Olympus C-5060 looks like the best for my dad.

anyone have experience with that camera?

EDIT: the c-5060 supports both compact flash and xd, but xd costs twice as much as cf. why?

ARN said:
i have been reading some more reviews and the Olympus C-5060 looks like the best for my dad.

anyone have experience with that camera?

EDIT: the c-5060 supports both compact flash and xd, but xd costs twice as much as cf. why?

I had a 5060 and I would say it is exactly what he is looking for, it is the middle step between point and shoot and slr. There are plenty of manual features but enought auto to learn on. It was my steping poing to the D70 which should be here in a few days. Go with the 5060 its a great camera. I can answer more specific questions if you would like.

ha --- that is a pretty big price range. The Coolpix 5700 is pretty good, but I don't know if it's worth the price. At that price you can get a used dSLR (it might have fewer megapixels) which has all the auto controls you could ever want plus auto controls that are more refined than point and shoots. For point and shoots, the Canon Powershot S1 is also very highly regarded, and so is the Minolta DiMage 7. But if your dad chooses a dSLR, it might take him some lenses and more money than $825 to achieve the results one might see in national geographic or Newsweek...but then again he wouldn't have a chance getting those results with a point and shoot so the decision is up to him. THere is also a new digital SLR that can be had for about $750 if you shop smart -- and it includes a zoom lens. It's called Canon EOS 300D, also called Digital Rebel in the USA. I'd check it out even though it's on the high end of your dad's range.

Canon Powershot G3 / G5 are still pretty good. I have a G5 and it works great. Apparently the G3 has better image quality because the extra megapixel on the G5 is crammed onto the same sized sensor...

Back