My computer doesn't love me anymore

kubalaTF

Limp Gawd
It's not its fault, really. I'm gonna blame it on XP. So anyway, it starts its boot up thing, gets past the part where the bar goes across the screen a few times, has a Compaq screen come up, then moves onto a screen that says windowsXP with a colorful background or something like that. And that's where the whole process decides to stop. Like it freezes up or something. So that sucks. Alot. It's my only computer so I'm going to go cry now.

1. Is it overclocked?
  2. Have you disabled any services?
  3. Have you tweaked your OS? If so, how?
  4. What were you doing last on the machine, before it was powered down or restarted?

It's a laptop, not overclocked. I installed SP2 maybe 2 weeks ago. And the last thing I was doing on it before I shut down was playing MP3s, without internet connected.

I can't get to where I can set it into safe mode, it won't go that far (unless there's an easier way to do it, as I'm sure there is). It just stops where it says microsoft XP on a blue background. And sits there.

kubalaTF said:
I can't get to where I can set it into safe mode, it won't go that far (unless there's an easier way to do it, as I'm sure there is). It just stops where it says microsoft XP on a blue background. And sits there.

When your computer boots up tap "F8" till a black menu comes up.. you can get into safe mode from there.

If you can get into safe mode do CHKDSK....any problems detected ?
>Any Security descriptor errors after SP2 ?

Ok, I got to the menu and put it into safe mode, but it still stops at the blue screen that says microsoft windows XP. It just refuses to go past that screen. Grrrrrr.

What kind of video card do you have? I know personally I had a simliar issue with my ATI Cat drivers, so I had to re-install them(not sure what the problem was), and this fixed it for me. Hope this helps.

It's a laptop, so it's got integrated graphics, or some crap like that. Annoying when you want to play a real game. But looks like I won't be playing anything fro awhile.

Do not chose to Repair XP, chose Recovery console to run CHKDSK from.
Try this: Use your XP-CD and boot to it, then chose Recovery console, and do a CHKDSK /R [Repair] from command prompt.

have you tried calling compaq or the place you bought it from? there's a chance there is an RMA return policy, you may be able to get a new one at no cost if the retailer plays ball. you're gonna have to dealw ith not having it for a while anyway, and if you can't fix it yourself, that's the only thing you can do with laptops anyhow (not many laptop replacement parts on the shelf of your local computer store)

GreNME recommended Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration. You told GreNME Safe Mode did not work, but did you also try Last Known Good Configuration? It actually works alot and may undo what's doing this to your laptop...So, if you haven't already, please do the F8 thing, but try LKGC.

If you boot into recovery console mode from the cd, you might try running chekdsk /p before resorting to chkdsk /r. the chkdsk /r causes a surface scan which can take a while, if its just a file system problem, running chkdsk /p will take care of it.

If it finds problems and corrects them, try booting into XP. If it still hangs, then run chkdsk /r in the recovery console. If its not a physical disk problem it will probably save 30-45 minutes.

Back