My complete case mod! (1.17 mb of pictures, but worth it)

Originally posted by Jnox
That is true, there is alot of wires showing. Thats partially because I have 4 harddrives in there. Not including a cdrom and a floppy drive.

dont give us that stupid excuse:D

clean the cables! not that [H]ard even if you got 4 hdds

good job BTW:cool: really like the cutout

Originally posted by Xeese
Dang - beat to the safety goggle comment!

Nice looking mod. Some wire loom and painting of the inside of the case would help finish it off. Did you do anything to paint/seal the cut edges on the top and side panel?

Great work - very original!

I used a black marker, which works great. If rust will start showing, I will bring out the paint brush. :)

Jnox

Originally posted by User Name
dont give us that stupid excuse:D

clean the cables! not that [H]ard even if you got 4 hdds

good job BTW:cool: really like the cutout

alright, alright.... I'll clean up the cables! haha, it will look alot nicer thats for sure.

Jnox

Excellent job on the window. Looks really great even if you didn't get the red you wanted.
I'm not familiar with the Antec cases but why did you have to cut the top off? Usually you can just drill the rivets out and remove it.

not sure if anyone mentioned this, but did you do any sanding to those edges at all? or just straight leetness? oh and would hot gluing a plexi/acrylic window to an aluminum panel, let's say a lian li PC68 side panel (heh) work?

Flip

at first i thought this was going to be a "OMG I BOUGHT SOME LED FANS AND ROUNDED CABLES IM A MODDER" but then I read the cutting part and its just SICK. you did such a great job at the cutting, im in complete awe. i have no skills in the dremeling dep't :D did you holesaw out the holes or dremel em?

haha yeah, i did that too, when i saw all the parts laid out i was like... right.. mod.. and then i went :eek:

Flip

hmmm, not sure how many I used, but I used A LOT!!!!!! I would say I used somewhere between 40 and 60. Just keep in mind that they break really easily. You have to be carefull and have a steady hand. They have some diamond cut off wheels which wont break, but they are quite expensive.

Holy shit, did you use reinforced cutoff wheels? When I cut the design on my case panel, I used maybe 3, tops. For a friend's case, I cut a rectangular window in both the top and the side, and windowed his cdrom also... and only used a few wheels.

That's just a shit-ton of cutoff wheels there. You'll go through way less if you use the reinforced ones. They're only a few more dollars a pack.

nice window designs. i do abstract drawings using shapes like that, i may just copy you because i know a guy who can get my side panel laser cut for free.

Originally posted by Coweater
Excellent job on the window. Looks really great even if you didn't get the red you wanted.
I'm not familiar with the Antec cases but why did you have to cut the top off? Usually you can just drill the rivets out and remove it.

yep, thats what I did. The reason I had to cut the top off is because if you put a plexi, and try to put in back in it doesnt fit. The screw holes dont line up. I cut it off to make more room and make everything fit nicely.

Hopefully I make sense.

Jnox

Originally posted by fLiPaChu
not sure if anyone mentioned this, but did you do any sanding to those edges at all? or just straight leetness? oh and would hot gluing a plexi/acrylic window to an aluminum panel, let's say a lian li PC68 side panel (heh) work?

Flip

yes, I had to sand off the edges to make them nice and smooth.

hot glue will work..... but it's not the best. It comes off really easily and you have to be really carefull.

epoxy would work great, but it's a lil harder to work with.

Jnox

Originally posted by kronchev
at first i thought this was going to be a "OMG I BOUGHT SOME LED FANS AND ROUNDED CABLES IM A MODDER" but then I read the cutting part and its just SICK. you did such a great job at the cutting, im in complete awe. i have no skills in the dremeling dep't :D did you holesaw out the holes or dremel em?

dremel all the way buddy!

What can I say, this was a low budget project which was under 100 bucks.

I'm in college so I have no money. haha :)

Jnox

Originally posted by stringcheeseincident
nice window designs. i do abstract drawings using shapes like that, i may just copy you because i know a guy who can get my side panel laser cut for free.

feel free......

laser cuting is the shit, good for you!

Jnox

Very nice!

I got the same case (but it already came with the window).

I think I'll mod the top part :p I got a dremel right here waiting to be used...just need the time.

Another reccomendation for the reinforced wheels.. they dont really break and last ALOT longer. Also, liquid nails does a really good job of holding in a window.

nice to see a awsome case come together. Just do some small touch ups with the internal bays and it is good to go.

Killermac

Thats the coolest window design i've ever seen. Something about it just screams dangerous hehe. I think you should paint the inside of the case black and sleeve the power cables and you're set! Post pics if you do!

how many ccfls do you have in that case of yours, cause i wanna light my case up but dont wanna buy too many or whatever :D, by the way thats the baddest case ive ever seen

holy shat man!
thats a SWEEEET window...
and ive done the same thing with my wires, just taped em behind the side panel, it really works nicely.

OMG MAN.. im surprised at the comments people gave you, they were not as good as i thought they would be. (I only read the first page) this is one of the BEST work I have ever seen on [H] besides Bonz's work and a few others.. Your dremel skills are crazy.. It looks so nice.. great job.

Originally posted by tylerhskate
how many ccfls do you have in that case of yours, cause i wanna light my case up but dont wanna buy too many or whatever :D, by the way thats the baddest case ive ever seen

I used two, one at the bottom, and one at the top. if you are looking for the best effect, get two.

Jnox

Originally posted by slaya
OMG MAN.. im surprised at the comments people gave you, they were not as good as i thought they would be. (I only read the first page) this is one of the BEST work I have ever seen on [H] besides Bonz's work and a few others.. Your dremel skills are crazy.. It looks so nice.. great job.

Thanks man, as a matter of fact...... thanks to everyone. I've spent alot of work on it, and it's nice that people actually like it.

Hopefully this will inspire other people, just as much as I got inspired few years ago.

Jnox

Yep, it definitely looks orange!!!!! ah crap, I'll do something to fix that. Maybe wrap the ccfl with red foil. We'll see!

pic2.JPG
[/B]

You can fix your "orange" red CCFL's with red brake lens repair tape from an auto parts store. I had the same problem on a job I did for someone. I got the 2 inch wide roll, and cut a length of it as long as the CCFL, and wrapped it around the light lengthwise. The light is now red.

Originally posted by Pagan Wizard
You can fix your "orange" red CCFL's with red brake lens repair tape from an auto parts store. I had the same problem on a job I did for someone. I got the 2 inch wide roll, and cut a length of it as long as the CCFL, and wrapped it around the light lengthwise. The light is now red.

yeah, I was thinking about doing something similar....... did it affect the brightness of the light?

Jnox

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Pagan Wizard
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah, I was thinking about doing something similar....... did it affect the brightness of the light?

Jnox

No, the CCFL is still very bright.

Originally posted by porcha
and in the end it still looks like a pre modded piece of crap

hahaha, I know what you mean...... some people ask me...... so where did you buy that?

lol

Jnox

niiiiice dremel skills. Unique window design.. rounded edge rectangles get soooooo old. Id love to do laser cut but I think I might go dremel way just for the challenge.

check ace for some plexi they usualy have some odd pieces for liek a buck or two well atleast then on i live next 2 does

Originally posted by Jordanis3r
hmmm looks familiar ... :D

dcp_0376_full.jpg

:D

nice work tho dude - keep it up :D

Holy shit, thats awesome! Looks very similar to my design!!!!!!!!

Jnox

I like it. One thing

In the one pic you are wearing hearing protection... but no eye protection while dremmelling.

hmm. Metal fragments in the eye hurt bad. :)

Originally posted by hocplaya
Didnt know if you mentioned this but is that the steel version?

It is definately not aluminum. The case is really heavy, so I am assuming it is!

Jnox

Looks awesome!!!!!!! I love it.

top%20plexi2.JPG

Is that a scratch to the right of the right fan? Just wondering :p

Back