My 1950X build, the do it all machine

Geno750

Gawd
I consolidated a lot of my hardware into one box, and built it around a threadripper to have a single machine that could do that job of my previous two machines. The big CPU hog is my plex server, and the 7 people that use it. I've had 5 transcodes going and been able to play a game without noticing, so I consider it a win so far.

Specs:
Mobo: MSI X399-Carbon
CPU: 1950X @ 4Ghz - Cooled by a Bykski water block connected to a Swiftech H320X2 with Noctua Fans
RAM: 32GB Corsair RGB DDR3333 C16 memory. Its running at 3333MHz, with 16-18-18-36-2T Timings. Microcenter was cool and let me exchange out the X99 ram I bought in July for these.
Video Cards: 2x1080Ti Reference cards
Storage: 250GB 960EVO, 2x500GB 960EVO, 6x8TB WD Reds attached to a Dell Perc710P raid card.

As is, I'm using 52 PCI-E lanes, which is the primary reason why I went with AMD over intel.

B488Yoj.jpg

I was intending on adding a 140mm radiator to the loop when I was changing out the block, but of course the 140mm rad I bought off amazon leaked from the end tanks (not fittings) so back it went. The CPU currently idles at 35C and load temps are in the low 80's with just the 320 radiator, so I definitely still plan to add that 140mm rad. However it has been running non stop since last week, and I just returned from vacation where the PC was still up and running, anywhere from 4-7 plex users putting transcode loads on the CPU.

aIKvRZj.png

Fu1uSPc.png

Last edited:
Do you have a big family? Thats alot of people hitting a Plex server on your lan? College? Just curious. NIce build.

I run dual 1080ti on water as well as a pcie 8x 10gbit Intel XFSR Fiber Optic NIC. Unfortunately due to the 2. slot width of my GPUs (Asus Poseidon) I have to run the 8x card in a 4x slot with a open back on the connector as Asus did which is amazing over the fixed socket width of standard Pcie slots.

I however, run my plex server on a dedicated FreeNAS server I built using Supermicro Board, case, and a Xeon E5-1620 socket 2011. So my Threadripper never feels the brunt of transcodes. THe quad core Xeon actually does a wonderful job of transcoding under pressure.

I do a hell of alot of video transcoding while gaming at the same time on my 1950x and I can't tell anything is running after managing the threads a little better than windows.

Not really a big family, but between my family and the few friends I've shared the library with, I needed the extra CPU power. In the future I might buy two external SAS enclosures to move the hard drives outside the case. That'd give me room for a radiator for my 1080ti's. Since getting rid of the HTPC and going to one system my power bill is now lower and my living room looks much cleaner without the HTPC case.

Not really a big family, but between my family and the few friends I've shared the library with, I needed the extra CPU power. In the future I might buy two external SAS enclosures to move the hard drives outside the case. That'd give me room for a radiator for my 1080ti's. Since getting rid of the HTPC and going to one system my power bill is now lower and my living room looks much cleaner without the HTPC case.
Really dd it make that big of a power impact? Bill I mean? I kind of want to ditch my xeon and go with low power i3 or Atom.

It was a $44 dollar decrease over the last month.

How much do you pay for electricity? $44/month for one PC is a bit ridiculous. At 12cents/kw you need a PC pulling 500 watts continually to hit $44.

How much do you pay for electricity? $44/month for one PC is a bit ridiculous. At 12cents/kw you need a PC pulling 500 watts continually to hit $44.

I pay 14cents/kw. However the large change was likely a combination of removing one PC and upgrading the other. I was using old PSU's in both, one of them being the original 1200w thermaltake PSU reviewed on this site. Now I'm using an EVGA P2 1000w which I think added to the savings.

Back