MX518 kicks bootay

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
The MX518 kicks ass. I like it alot. But I have to say that for all the MX510 users out there, don't feel compelled to upgrade. I don't feel that big a difference in it.

I'm such a Logitech whore, I might just end up buying this.

*NOTD stares gravely at his iFeel, MX500, MX700, MX510

i love the 518 - just got it yesterday. however i have no idea what the hell they were thinking with those weird bumps/divots

jeff

i have a 510, i don't think that anyone could ever improve on this freakin mouse, other than something like this 518. as long as games are still played using a mouse i don't see myself ever getting a new mouse unless mine breaks, or they make some variations of the same mouse with cool artwork or something on it.

I like the 510... But I took the weight out of it to lessen the inertia. It's a bit big for my tastes.

I'll probably try the Diamondback next... now that the plasma is available.

Yes the MX518 is a really good mouse. I hate it´s mouse wheel though and the buttons are not as responsive + they tend to stick a lot. It´s also a bit big and clumsy just like the MX510.

But that is about what´s bad about it the rest is great. However I am back to my Diamondback. However have you guys seen this?

http://www.raptor-gaming.com/eng/products/contentbox_prod_raptor_M2.html

Looks really weird but maybe the MX518 and DB already is obsolete :rolleyes:

NOTD665 said:
I'm such a Logitech whore, I might just end up buying this.

*NOTD stares gravely at his iFeel, MX500, MX700, MX510

I'd completely forgotten about the iFeel, was it any good?

yes, yes it does

518.JPG

Don´t know Logitech went crazy with that. However don´t care much bow mouses look just how they work though there is no comparison in beauty between the MX mouses and the Diamondback ones :)

I bought this mouse last week when it first came out. I already own an mx510. I took it back a few days later. The only cool thing was on-the-fly dpi switching. The 1600 dpi they advertise is nothing more the increased sensitivity. At 1600, the mouse was out of control. It was not more accurate as many might presume - it was just a lot faster.

If you are still on an old ball mouse, this might be a nice upgrade for you. If you have an MXxxx, I wouldn't recommend wasting $50.

I'm really waiting on the wired laser version. The LED has a slight jag/staircase effect when moving at a 45 degree angle. Hopefully the laser version won't have this problem. In fact, I pulled out my gaming ball mouse and it actually felt more precise than the mx510 because it didn't 'jag'. Does that make sense? :p

have to admit that mouse looks strange looks like someone got mad and took a hammer to it.

LordVampyre said:
have to admit that mouse looks strange looks like someone got mad and took a hammer to it.

Yeah but it's just artwork basically. AS far as teh 1600 DPI thing being out of control I don't think so. I can tell the difference between the MX518 and the MX510 and MX500. Of which I own all three.

The laser does have the same stair step effect, but it's actually not noticable on my MX518. Not at 1600dpi anyway.

the artwork is no different than that of the MX510, it's just more pronounced since the 518 is lighter (silver vs red). Actual feel is, of course, smooth as the 510's.

the mx518 is pretty much the optical sensor of the diamondback put into the mx510. I'd say still go with the diamondback because then you still get the really long and very thin cord and rubber coated buttons for non slippage, also the diamondbacks feet are better suited for those hard mousepads. I've compared the mx510 with the diamondback and the feet on the logitech dont glide as well. Remember the mx510 feet are the same as the mx518.

BeeIzebub said:
the mx518 is pretty much the optical sensor of the diamondback put into the mx510. I'd say still go with the diamondback because then you still get the really long and very thin cord and rubber coated buttons for non slippage, also the diamondbacks feet are better suited for those hard mousepads. I've compared the mx510 with the diamondback and the feet on the logitech dont glide as well. Remember the mx510 feet are the same as the mx518.

Yes but compared to the Logitech mice, the Diamondback feels cheap. That's my $.02 anyway.

The art work isn't the same at all. They don't have black spots designed to make it look like dents on the MX510 red or blue. I have a blue one and it's not at all the same.

the bumps are for hand ventilation :D

I wish they'd make a gaming wireless mouse (not the MX1000, too many people have had too many problems with that one). Yes, I know, I know, wireless can't support the refresh a 1600dpi sensor is kicking out.

ThisMonsterLives said:
they aren't real it's just how the mouse looks. it's supposed to look like battle scars or something.
Not sure I like that at all. Guess I would have to see it in person.

Diamondback-- better than the MX518 once you get used to it. The MX518 doesn't really allow twitching and accurate aiming as well as the Diamondback. Main reason is the big bulge back it has. But that's an opinion. ;)

As for quality-- the clicking of the MX series is very weak. The diamondback is sensitive and is good. I've spilled coke and dropped both mouses. The diamondback survived and still clicked well. The MX on the other hand did survive the drop but the clicking basically sucked.

-J.

oqvist said:
Yes the MX518 is a really good mouse. I hate it´s mouse wheel though and the buttons are not as responsive + they tend to stick a lot. It´s also a bit big and clumsy just like the MX510.

But that is about what´s bad about it the rest is great. However I am back to my Diamondback. However have you guys seen this?

http://www.raptor-gaming.com/eng/products/contentbox_prod_raptor_M2.html

Looks really weird but maybe the MX518 and DB already is obsolete :rolleyes:

It looks pretty uncomfortable to me.

BeeIzebub said:

Actually the feet on the mx518 are slicker. I noticed a definite difference comparing the mx518 and the mx510. My mx510 was less than 4 months old so the difference in the smoothness of the feet is very unlikely due to wear on the feet of the mx510. I cleaned the feet of both mice for comparison purposes too. if you like Logitech's mx510 try the mx518 if you can. I feel like I got my money's worth. Giving my mx510 to my sister.

Yeah I don´t know have never owned a mouse with that ergonomics lol. But that pink finger extension does make sense to me. My pinky is dangerously close to the mouse pad lol.

As for quality Logitech have better QA. However Razer has great support. Free feet replacements and such. However there is issues with squeeky buttons, dead Razers etc whereas other is quite flawless. I got lucky though haven´t had any issue so far. I had the right button stick when it was quite new but that solved itself really :).

As for thin cord it´s a +/- thing. It´s great because it doesn´t hinder the mouse movement as the MX518 can do however a thicker cord means you can abuse it a bit more without risking breaking it :).

NecessaryEvil said:
the artwork is no different than that of the MX510, it's just more pronounced since the 518 is lighter (silver vs red).
Take a look at the images that denaps and ThisMonsterLives posted. The MX518 I got looks exactly like ThisMonsterLives's picture, as if Logitech left bubbles in the process. It is not just a difference in color.

oqvist said:
As for thin cord it´s a +/- thing. It´s great because it doesn´t hinder the mouse movement as the MX518 can do however a thicker cord means you can abuse it a bit more without risking breaking it :).

Well, start learning how to be organized and not abuse your cord. There really isn't any excuse to accidently breaking off your cords on the Diamondback (you really would have to pull or cut it really strong). The cord goes from your mouse to the end of the table down through a hole or goes down somewhere and is hooked up to the computer. There is no risk whatsoever in "accidently" cut the cord open.

-J.

from what I understand the two buttons above and below the scrol wheel are
Dedicated controls to switch “on-the-fly” from pixel-precise targeting to fast-twitch evasive moves.

on my Mx510 I use those buttons as a "cruise" for scrolling. Am I right in thinking that I will only be able to use those buttons to adjust the sensitivity on the mx518.

Thanks

Project2501 said:
from what I understand the two buttons above and below the scrol wheel are

on my Mx510 I use those buttons as a "cruise" for scrolling. Am I right in thinking that I will only be able to use those buttons to adjust the sensitivity on the mx518.

Thanks

No, you can remap them how you like.

Tenchi4U said:
the bumps are for hand ventilation :D

I wish they'd make a gaming wireless mouse (not the MX1000, too many people have had too many problems with that one). Yes, I know, I know, wireless can't support the refresh a 1600dpi sensor is kicking out.
Too many people need to hit the gym if a mouse is 'too heavy' for them to move a few inches to the left or right.

I never liked the Logitech design. I ended up filing off the pinky holder thingy because it was just too uncomfortable. I didn't notice before, but when I hold a mouse I like to let the side of my thumb and my pinky to just barely touch the mouse pad. The logitech molding is made to wrap your whole hand around the mouse, but when I mouse, I move from the wrist and not the elbow, which means a lot less room to maneuver with a bulky mouse. As far as the weight of the mouse and going to the gym comment, that's just ludicrous, it's purely a preference. When you're whipping that mouse around for twitch kill, it's going to take a lot more effort to get that mouse to stop exactly where you want it. The momentum of the mouse is going to want to keep going and it's going to cause your aim to bounce around until you get it where you want it. That's been my experience atleast.

Apallohadas said:
Too many people need to hit the gym if a mouse is 'too heavy' for them to move a few inches to the left or right.

Errr the thing is you tend to apply to much force and thus use it to much if you have a mouse that doesn´t glide well ;).

Really weight makes tons of difference on how mouses behave. The lighter they are the smoother they generally glide over the mouse surface :).

Now in tense moments in S.W.A.T 4 where I got surprised I would need a 5 kg mouse to keep steady :D

Increases sensitivity. If a game is not detected, the button operates as "scroll up." Press either the + or - button to change sensitivity "on-the-fly." Out of the box, the buttons provide instant access to three presets-400 dpi, 800 dpi, and 1600 dpi. Install the gaming software and five customizable settings are made available.

That is what it says in the "quick tour". Am I stupid in assuming that I can have the two buttons set to "cruise up/down" in windows and then adjust the dpi in my games...

I have added my games to the little list and set up the mouse the way I wanted, but I would like to have my cake and eat it too

ThisMonsterLives said:
they aren't real it's just how the mouse looks. it's supposed to look like battle scars or something.

Are you fucking kidding or what? Yes, please give me a mouse that looks like it was used as a hammer! :rolleyes:

I should start buying New Silverstone cases and take em' outside and throw rocks at them for an hour or so.....make me some good money on resales with the "I like the POS look" crowd :D

today i went down to the storem looking for a mouse. the first thing i saw was the diamondback, shiny green and 1600dpi resolution. thought it was cool so i bought it, 60$ the diamondback was out of control, i could hardly get to control panel to uninstall its software. my old mouse was the "MS optical mouse" that worked a hell of a lot better then this. it felt like a cheap plastic POS, and didnt fit in my hand at all.

i went with a friend to return it, and he recommended a Logitech. i got the 510, and got 10$ back off the exchange. now this is a mouse... fits perfectly, no hinges on the clickers, glides smoothly, buttons actually work, and most importantly, i didn’t have to mess with my CS settings to get it to feel right.

i don’t see why 1600dpi is a good thing, unless your doing like Photoshop scanning with your mouse. i would recommend the MX510/518 over the diamondback any day (and i tried both, in one day :) )

There is a steeper learning curve with the Diamondback and yes it does reward you ;).

The MX518 uses the same sensor as the Diamondback and is only slightly heavier so they really perform the same ;). You are right about the buttons and software being better on the MX518 though.

Of all mouses I have had the DB have taken the longest to get accustomed to but it beats the MX518 and all previous mouses I have own for me.

Back