MX1100 sucks

winuser2000

Limp Gawd
So I found this mouse for 33 dollars shipped from logitech thinking I could use it as a convenient replacement for my gaming mouse while in windows. I love the feel of it but it doesn't track worth anything. This mouse must have a flawed design. Trying to navigate the web and click on links is impossible. It doesn't track well enough for small movements. I can never quite click on my intended target. It can't be a problem with wireless mice because I just bought a 12 dollar micro usb wireless mouse from lenovo and it tracks MUCH better than this 80$ (MSRP) logitech mouse.

Does anyone have anything positive to say about it? I can't imagine using it regularly. I have messed with every setting on setpoint and in windows. Does Logitech acknowledge that they screwed up this thing? I keep seeing these around for cheaper and cheaper prices the more I research them.

I felt the same way about mine. I chalked it up to it being wireless, but you're right -- I've used other (cheaper) wireless mice that I felt had greater precision. I know exactly what you're talking about when you say it's hard to make small movements and click links...it's like you have to move the mouse a bit before it starts registering movement (cursor lag). Once you get rolling (well OK, sliding) it's OK, but pinpointing something on the screen with any degree of accuracy was difficult -- almost a chore. I paid a great deal more than $33 for mine, but sold it on here and went back to wired mice for gaming.

I've seen a couple of sites say that the MX 1100 is their favorite mouse. It makes me wonder if they've used many other mice, because I can't see anyone proclaiming that the MX 1100 is the best if they need a responsive, precise mouse. It's comfy and it has some nice features, but you had better like heavy mice and be willing to give up some precision. I can't imagine being the only one that experienced this; I was very close to the receiver so it seemed like it was just inherent in the design.

Some people love this mouse, and it typically gets good reviews. I guess we all have different standards, though. I'm glad some people are happy with the MX 100 even if I wasn't.

edit: maybe there are different revisions? Here's a review from Logitech's site:

This mouse has great feeling to shape and materical that is being used (rubber). But i was one of the few unlucky ones (2 times) to recieve a lagging mouse. I brought this mouse because it felt so great in my hand and it was wireless... but it lagged crazy when i either surf the internet or gaming. I had to contact logitech and ship it in and recieve a new one 2 times. If your want a good mouse, this is ok but probably could find a better one. For gamers: find a different wired mouse, this is not for you.

Just called up logitech and they are sending a replacement. The guy mentioned there are reports of sensor problems so hopefully he's right and i'll get one that tracks properly.

I had a MX1000 and the mouse was great. It started to lag was when we replaced our house phones with 2.4 GHz. I moved the phone to another room and left the logitech base in the open, and then it was ok with occasional interference. My wireless router and 360 controllers do not affect it though.

Try changing the channels on the phone.

Also...I wish Logitech would bring back the MX1000.

I picked this up to replace my aging mx revolution and was sorely disappointed.

I don't notice the tracking problems mentioned, but my reasons for disappointment are (compared to mx revolution):

• No "SmartShift"...so the free spin and click spin doesn't change automatically based on how "hard" I spin. I don't like having to use the button to switch them manually.
  • The wheel button and button below it do opposite things in the mx revolution. Pressing the wheel button switched between click and free spin on the mx revolution while on mx1100 the button below does it. Minor thing but wonder why they just didn't keep it the same...
  • Heavier than the mx revolution, mostly due to the AA batterries.
  • "Cheaper" feel. Don't know how else to describe it. The material on the mx1100 just feels of lesser quality than the mx revolution.

Also, if you've grown accustomed to the mx revolution's shape with your mouse grip...than the mx1100 takes a bit to get used to due to its size. I usually use a "claw" grip on my mouse but the mx1100 seemed to force me into a "palm" grip because of this.

I upgraded from an ancient MX700 to this MX1100, and I'm still undecided if I like it or not. I had to change from the "claw" to the "palm" grip because of how massive the MX1100 is. My accuracy is definitely suffering, but I'd attribute that to my ~5 years on the MX700 versus the 3 days on the MX1100. Maybe it'll grow on me, who knows...

Now, if Logitech made a G7 with two thumb buttons, I'd be all over it. I don't know why they redid the G5 to have two thumb buttons, but didn't do the same thing with the G7..

Well this doesn't bode well for me. I just bought one the other day for $30 off Amazon. When it gets here I'll post my experience with it.

edit: It just arrived and I've been using it for a few hours. It seems to work just fine, albeit it's much bigger than mice I'm used to. I don't have time now to go in depth with it, but when I get a chance I'll post up the results I get.

Last edited:
So I've been using this mouse for a few days now and I've tried it out in a bunch of different situations. It's not a terrible mouse, it just depends on who you are. Here are some of the different situations I've been using it in:

• Web browsing/Text editing/Programming - I had no real issues with this. This mouse is much heavier than most mice, so it took some getting used to, but after about a day I was able to click buttons and use the mouse in general just fine.
  • World of Warcraft - I play a tank and I remapped the tab key to something else, so I rely on my ability to click on mobs to target them. I was able to click with the same effectiveness that I had with my previous mouse (the MX 620). I've used bad mice in the past, and they definitely make this task very difficult, so this mouse performed well enough in this case.
  • Unreal Tournament 3 - I chose this game because the wide open maps really allow for good sniping. I was actually able to snipe slightly better with this mouse than with my previous one. Although, this is more because of the way I play than anything else. I play with really high sensitivity, so the fact that the mouse is so heavy slowed my movements down a lot, making it easier to snipe.
  • Supreme Commander - Needed to test this mouse's performance in an RTS. It's performance in this game was not stellar, but it was on par with the mouse I used before.

The physical hardware of this mount present a different story than most Logitech mice that I've used. Like Jonnyy said, it does feel rather "cheap." The plastic and rubber on the mouse don't line up completely perfectly, which makes it seem sloppily constructed. Also, the scroll wheel is dull-gray plastic, which is really a start contrast to the shiny, metallic wheel on the MX Revolutions.

The scroll wheel on this mouse, like on the MX Revolutions, features a "frictionless" mode where if you flick it, it will keep spinning for quite a long time after. The button for switching between normal roll and "frictionless" is actually about a centimeter behind the wheel itself, which if you've used a MX Revolutions a lot (where the button is actually the middle mouse button), this will be really offputting, but if this is your first "frictionless" scroll, it's not really that big of a deal. Also, the button for switching feels like a mechanical button rather than an electrical button (feels like it depresses levers and such when pushed rather than closes an electrical switch), which, depending on how you look at it, can add to the overall "cheap" impression of the mouse.

The rest of the buttons on the mouse are fairly standard. Nothing new with the two main buttons, and the forward and backward thumb buttons are well positioned and easy to use. They are a bit rougher around the edges than the buttons on the MX 620, but they work just fine. There's also an added thumb button at the bottom of the thumb rest which by default acts as an application switcher. I haven't really found it that useful yet, but it's possible I may get used to using it over time, or I may not. The one thing that REALLY dissapoints me about the buttons are the adjustable dpi buttons. They do not adjust the dpi in hardware like the G7 does, but rather use SetPoint (Logitech's keyboard and mouse software) to do that. And they don't actually adjust the dpi up and down, but rather just flip between one setting assigned to the '+' button and the other assigned to the '-' button. This really adds to the "cheap" impression of the mouse.

The form factor of the mouse is a different story. If the G7 is the sleek Ferrari of gaming mice, the MX 1100 is the bulky tank. It's a big mouse and it's heavy (as far as mice go). It is by no means small or sleek. This is definatly the biggest mouse I've ever used and it takes some getting used to. If you have big hands, then this mouse will fit them about perfectly. People with small hands should look elsewhere. Like previous posters have said, it's pretty much imposible to use a claw grip on this mouse, it's large size forces you to use a palm grip. This wasn't a problem for me as a I normally palm grip mice anyways and I have fairly long fingers, so the mouse fit well in my hand, but it may differ for you.

Finally, a lot of people have been talking about lag issues with this mouse. I have not experienced any lag issues with this mouse whatsoever; they must have fixed it in their most recent versions. Of course, this is considering that the receiver for my mouse is plugged into my keyboard, which sits about a foot away from my mouse at most. Also, I don't really have a lot of other signals in the area around my mouse, so there's not a whole lot of interference.

Overall, would I recommend this mouse? I'd say it depends. To make the MX 1100 a worthwhile choice for a gaming mouse, you'd have to meet a few criteria:
  • Have big hands - Like I said up there, it's a big mouse, so if you're hands aren't big enough, you'll have major issues.
  • Find it on sale - I got this mouse for $30 off Amazon. I'd say don't spend more than $40 at the most if you're going to buy this mouse.
  • Really need a new game mouse - If you don't need a new gaming mouse, then this mouse isn't worth the upgrade. It's fairly standard and not really awe-inspiring, so only get it if you need a mouse.
  • Have a tolerance for cheap items - If the fact that anything feels cheap really gets on your nerves, stear clear of this mouse. It's not that it's overridingly cheap, but if that kind of thing bothers you at all, this mouse will bother you.

If you can meet all these, then you'll do fine with this mouse. The MX 1100 isn't the kind of mouse that is revolutionary or you just have to have, but it will get the job done.

Last edited:
nice post rae.

i have had this mouse for a while. i like the mx1000 better. one thing i have noticed is it is very sensitive to where the usb receiver is. if i plug mine into the back of my motherboard, it lags and jerks like crazy. plug the receiver into a front usb slot, lagging stops.

Well i bought that one today and only had it for a few hours then took it back. Im now back to my VX revolution. It was just too heavy and felt weird. Im thinking about building my own ergonomic mouse and see where that goes.

unpossible. i like mine. the main issue i have is with all mice. i adjust the amount it scrolls in web browsers to a greater amount. :).

it was also 20 after a 10 buck rebate at amazon recently

Last edited:
Here's a follow up to my post after about a week with the mouse:

I'm starting to like the ergonomics of this mouse over my old MX700. My one minor complaint about the shape are the thumb buttons, which are too far forward for my taste. Maybe I just have smaller hands, I dunno. On my MX700 my thumb rested such that the first thumb joint rested on the back button and the distal part of my thumb was able to handle the forward button. On the MX1100 my whole thumb sits on the back button so that I have to make a conscious movement to press the forward button.

However, I have noticed a "startup" lag for the mouse from rest. Not like a 10 minute rest where the mouse is already in battery saving mode, but say a 5 second rest. My cursor isn't as responsive during that time so I compensate, which causes the cursor to overshoot. This is probably a side effect of the amazingly long battery life of the mouse. I am definitely liking the ~300 days of battery life on this mouse as opposed to the ~3 days on my old MX700 (not even exaggerating either).

I'm looking at the Performance MX mouse, and it looks like exactly what I want, except it's twice as much as I'm willing to pay for a mouse..

Im glad I found this. Ive been playing with the idea of buying this mouse because it is the best fitting mouse Ive ever found! Fits perfectly in my hand. But since I use my computer only for gaming and internet, it doesnt look like I should go with it. I guess I should just stick with the X5 Sidewinder which was my original choice.

I just got the Logitech Performance Mouse MX from staples for $55. Haven't opened it. Any of the same problems?

I agree the mx1100 sucks. The lag on small movements is horrible. I can barely use it. heck, with this mouse i have a hard time clicking the start menu button. :( ..unless I get right over it the first try moving the mouse quickly. Searching the Internet it's a common complaint on the Newegg reviews, Logitech forums, etc. I tried all the things from changing the Setpoint drivers to OS control, moving the usb receiver, and so on...

All my other mice are wireless MX1000 (2) and MX700 and work great and always have.

Logitech support also leaves something to be desired. Sending me lower grade mouse and I have to send this one back first and then wait 2+ weeks for the new lower one to come. After paying $10 after rebate it's hardly even worth it so I'll probably just throw it out.

Back