MX100 vs 840EVO

normally a samsung 840 evo.
I would if you can afford it buy a samsung 850pro.
its the best ssd today for a consumer.

I been researching ssd for a week now to upgrade my old M4 disk and the 850 pro wins me over in spite of price. as I dont update often I want one that just works..

What about 840 Pro? It's not quite as pricey as the 850 Pro. (I'm in the market for probably a 480/512 soon)

I would spring for the 512GB MX100 if you can swing it -- it will be faster than the 250 sized drives.

What about 840 Pro? It's not quite as pricey as the 850 Pro. (I'm in the market for probably a 480/512 soon)

The 840 Pro is a great drive. If you're on a budget, I'd go MX100 256 or 512. I'd avoid the Evo drives, see the posts in this forum about their data slow downs. The fix is out but time will tell if its a long term solution or has to be repeated.

IIRC the evo is faster, but is also of TLC type nand so you should expect it to die quicker as well.

Go for the 512gb MX100, very good performance for the price, for the average user there is little difference between ssds, really the space will be a good investment over time, and stay with it until sata express really takes off, good amount to invest to wait it out.

I second the 512GB MX100.. I have it. It's a great drive and gets a pretty decent performance boost over the 256GB drives.

MX100...has OPAL 2.0 and will still write remaining data in the event of a power loss so no loss or corruption occurs. Superior drive to the EVO.

The few measly ceramic caps in the MX100 cannot sustain power long enough to program the full write cache to flash in every case. They just make sure that drive does not corrupt its mapping table like the M4 drives did in rare cases. If they could, why would Crucial offer datacenter editions of their drives (M500DC) that actually feature tantalum capacitor arrays like the datacenter offerings of other manufacturers?

Wrt 840 EVO vs MX100, I would take the one with better price/GB. They are both good drives with the EVO probably offering better burst write and random read while the MX100 offers better sustained write and maybe endurance. Although the MX100 is only specified with ~72 TB, something the EVO is easily capable of as well.

Back