Muskin Voltages and timings.

Landyin

Weaksauce
I ahve a K8N Neo Plat motherboard and 1 gb of Mushkin 3200DDR Level One RAM. I've been getting some Blue screens during installation and I've been told it may be due to Cas Latency timings and voltages. I was told 2-3-2-6 and 1.75v for 1 stick. but I have 2 sticks. how would that transfer over? 2.9V? that seems a bit much.

also, this is the first time I've ever messed with timings. does Tcl = 2. Trcd = 3. Tras = 2. Trp = 6.? and what is the 1T/2T Memory Timing mean?

Okay, I figured out the CAS timing and I have that all set up.

But I am still confused about weither I should have 1T Timing or 2T timing. Also, I am not sure about the amount of volts I should have going into this ram. Thats 2x512 Mushkin 3200DDR Level One.

oh crap. i think i just royally effed up my system...

i set the timings to 2-3-2-6 1T, and voltage to 2.65V. Saved and exited BIOS...

now my computer won't even POST...

DEAR LORD HELP ME!

Err, shouldn't you wait for someone to reply to your questions before you set voltages and timings if you don't know what you're doing?

Hope you get your system working again. :(

Clear the CMOS. I'm not familiar with your motherboard, see if there's a jumper to do it. If not, you can cut power to the PSU or turn that off, and take out the battery for 30 seconds or a minute and put it back in, and it should boot everything to defaults. Common overclocking procedure for that sort of thing, don't sweat it ;)

I really dont see how setting your timings to 2-3-2-6 and 2.65 will screw up ram. As far as I know, tight timings dont damage ram, only voltage, for which 2.65V is by no means high.

When you can get back into the BIOS try giving it 2.75 or 2.8 volts, it should like that. My gig of Mushkin Black Level 2 PC3500 won't even run right without 2.8 volts, and that's at 200MHz FSB.

thanks setting the jumper to clear cmos helped a lot. but now, i tried 2.8V at 2-3-2-6 T1 and it still did the same thing. im wondering if this is happening because of the voltage or of the Command timing of T1(as i have no idea as to what to put it at).

should i set the timings at 2-3-2-6 T1 with auto voltage?

Landyin said:
thanks setting the jumper to clear cmos helped a lot. but now, i tried 2.8V at 2-3-2-6 T1 and it still did the same thing. im wondering if this is happening because of the voltage or of the Command timing of T1(as i have no idea as to what to put it at).

should i set the timings at 2-3-2-6 T1 with auto voltage?

Command you need to NOT have 1T as thats brutal on the ram and even mushkins forums state to not use it. So use 2T for command rate!

YES, i got it working at 2-3-2-6 2T with 2.8V. thank you guys so much, for awhile there i thought i mightve lost my entire system.

The next step is to try it at 2-2-2-6, if you like, and if that doesn't work, reset your BIOS with that jumper again, and you can either say screw it and go back to the settings you have that work, or bump the voltage up and try again. If that works you can even go for 2-2-2-5

But only do this if you're comfortable with it, because you should run stability tests on it or you' could have system lockups and possibly corrupted data. There's no danger of damaging your ram or computer or anything by setting lower timings, and under 3.0V little chance of hurting your ram, but if you don't want to have to screw with stability tests you don't need to try for any tighter timings, the difference would probably go unnoticed.

Back