Music License Expiration Ends Alan Wake Digital Sales

Bees

[H]ard|Gawd
If you have ever been curious about the horror action-adventure title Alan Wake, this weekend may be your last opportunity to purchase a digital copy. Remedy Entertainment, the studio behind the game, announced via Twitter news of the expiring music licenses. Artists such as Harry Nilsson, David Bowie, and Roy Orbison are featured throughout different sections of the game, prompting the complicated scenario.

As with all games, Alan Wake contains music, and music comes with a license attached. When the license expires any work associated with it, in this case a game, can no longer be sold.

This 2010 title was ported to PC in 2012, and is currently available this weekend for a deeply discounted price on Steam and GOG for $2.99 USD. The sale will end at 10 AM PST, which will coincide with game removal on these and other digital distributors. While further sales will be halted, customers who have already purchased the game will not be affected in data acquisition. A renegotiation of licensing terms or possible removal of tracks could see a return of sales for the game, but altering a 7-year old title may not be the highest priority for Remedy Entertainment. While digital sales have been a fantastic addition to the gaming landscape, this example shows a pitfall in the distribution method.

I recommend it. It's a good unique game. I've been thinking about replaying it recently as it happens.

The 90% discount applies to the franchise pack, which includes American Nightmare, which is not discounted on its own. Grabbed it for my collection.

I think I am going to rebuy the franchise on gog for $3.98 just to get the drm out of it.

The 90% discount applies to the franchise pack, which includes American Nightmare, which is not discounted on its own. Grabbed it for my collection.

I bought the collection for $5 last Christmas during the steam discount sale. But haven't even started it once. I'll have to give it a try sometime.

I seen the collection in Wal-Mart's clearance aisle for less than $10. Not sure if it's just here or all Wal-Mart.
It's a good franchise. It's a shame crap like this happens.

I already owned both Alan Wake and American Nightmare on GOG but I picked up the franchise on Steam to throw Remedy some coin. Was an awesome game.

This is one of the few console-first games I've ever considered buying, and it was worth it several years ago at several times the current price.

If you have any interest in something close to this type of game, spend the $3 to get it now.

This game needs a sequel.

Last edited:
rented it on the 360 and loved it, ended up buying it on the PC.

Reasons like this is why we get poorly executed music in games, its a rarity when a producer makes great music for a game that you don't have to license (DOOM for example).

I thought the music was great but didn't really get into the game all that much. The story was intense but the combat was annoying.

One of my all time favourites. I'm a little biased though, I'm a complete sucker for remedy's work since Max Payne 1 came out.

At this price you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to at least give it a try.

Killed for music licensing...I see that the system is still broken.

Awesome game, played it on the 360. Even the wife loved it. Definitely worth picking up. Still haven't played American Nightmare on Steam which I picked up ages ago.

Update the game by taking out the music and replace with whale sounds. Sell as a joke for $5.

Back