mushkin or ocz?

can you guys give me reasons why i should choose the mushkin over the OCZ? timings? higher OC?

on simple reason...

OCZ sucks!
my mushkin runs like a champ (although it's PC3500 not PC3200 like you're looking at) but i've had 3 sets of Mushkin RAM and have loved every set. it's just awesome ram.

Mushkin is the way to go IMO. Been running mine for awhile and I have not encountered any errors or whatnot.

Intel = Mushkin

Some AMD chipsets have issues with Mushkin, but I have never heard of a Intel chipset having any problems with it, and it is TOP rate RAM. (Corsair is as good as Mushkin)

OCZ used to be a rip off company, they have improved, but I still don't trust them. Buffallo or Geil would be better than OCZ in my book.

==>Lazn

slickjesus now when you say OCZ sucks, do you have valid reasons for it? or are you just slamming it because of what you've heard of because of their "past reputation". I've heard plenty of good things about OCZ and i heard they have a great customer and technical support.

only ram brands to buy are corsair xms, mushkin level 2 black, and kingston hyperx

i've had bad experiences with OCZ, i'm not bashing it for no reason. all the OCZ sticks of ram i've bought never did the advertised speed, or died shortly after i bought them.

so i do think i have a valid reason for bashing them. wasn't trying to start a flame war ;)

wow that's a nice overclock, and that's the exact model i'm looking at. and the exact CPU and similar motherboard.

If you get Mushkin with BH5 chips, there is no better RAM. If you get it without, you may have some overclocking issues.

ok i probably should have specified it better, i can't spend anymore than $160....meaning, lvl 2 is out of the picture....and if you can find me 512mb of dual channel bh-5 then show me what product it is.

stay away from OCZ, the brand that "accidently" didnt have silver in their "silver thermal paste"

I haven't seen Mushkin Black Lvl 2 for quite some time now. The only thing I see close to that is Mushkins Special 222 Special series, which only goes to pc3200. Why did they stop making memory pc3500 with those timings? It's killing me and I myself am in the market for ram. I might going Corsair now because of it.

Dale

I would recomend Mushkin LII Black, as long as it has BH-5 chips your good. In terms of OCZ, people on this forum have for a long time had a bitter hatred for OCZ, for whatever reasons in the past their products are VERY GOOD now. I was in your exact situation at one point in time and because im canadian I couldnt find Mushkin LII Black, I will however say that the OCZ Platinum EL PC3500 ram I bought (2x1024) is running well at 2-2-2-5 (sometimes 2-2-2-11 when I feel like it) timings running synch with my 210*11 OC on a barton 2500+. It is stable and good ram, and theres really no reason I couldnt recomend it.

i know these forums has a bitter attitude towards OCZ, and i wish people would stop recommending lvl2 mushkin because i cannot afford it and i need 512mb dual channel. i'm getting lots of recommendations for mushkin but i think everyone here is a little biased towards it. i have a whole month to decide so i got some time to spare to do a little more research, and thanks to everyone who didn't give a biased reply.

Originally posted by kronchev
stay away from OCZ, the brand that "accidently" didnt have silver in their "silver thermal paste"

You know they didn't do it on purpose. One of their factories was giving them the paste and telling them it had silver in it. The early batches did have silver. They also promptly put a recall out on it and have rectified the situation very well IMO.

Originally posted by Techmasta
You know they didn't do it on purpose. One of their factories was giving them the paste and telling them it had silver in it. The early batches did have silver. They also promptly put a recall out on it and have rectified the situation very well IMO.

this is true.
OCZ has cleaned up their act considerably over the years...but i still don't trust them or their products

For an Intel system I'd say stay away from anything using CH-5 chips. I recently upgraded my system to a 2.4C with an IC7 MB and have had nothing but problems with my Mushkin 3500 Black (LV1). At first I thought it was just a problem with Abit boards after reading through this 22 page thread, but I found out that any 865/875 board seems to have problems with CH-5 memory.

If you to want to be able to OC above a 250ish FSB, make sure to avoid CH-5 memory.

well if you haven't looked at them, i provided 2 links with the ram i've been trying to decide on. i believe both of them have bh-6, therefore i'm not looking at anything with ch-5 chips in it.

Back