Multiple Monitor Configuration Problems with Dual 6970

Killdozer

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying to connect an HP ZR24W, my TV, and an Samsung monitor to my computer but having trouble getting all of them to be on at the same time.
Have two 6970's.
All monitors are plugged into top GPU.
Nothing works if plugged into bottom GPU.

Running CAT 11.11C.

The HP ZR24W is over DVI. For the life of me I can't get display port to work with the provided cable.

TV is over HDMI.

Older Samsung monitor is on the second DVI port with a VGA adapter. The monitor supports DVI but don't have a spare cable at the moment.

In this configuration I can only get the HP and Samsung to be on at the same time. If I try to enable the TV I get error messages when trying to extend or duplicate the screen. It usually goes something like 'primary display must be disabled to extend desktop' or 'unable to duplicate desktop in this configuration' to finally 'configuration is not supported in multiple GPU configurations.'

I can swap around the DVI ports but all that does it make the Samsung monitor the primary.

As stated before, I can't get the display port to work on the HP ZR24W with the provided cable.

Can anyone give suggestions to get this configuration to work or am I boned?
I would like the TV to be extended on the left of my primary (HP), and the Samsung to be extended to the right of my primary.

Have you tried using the ZR24W by itself connected through display port? You may need to try another displayport cable or get a Displayport to DVI adapter.

You may have some shared ports. Eg 1 DVI may be exclusive with the HDMI or some such.

The ideal solution would be to plug it into the other card. Except your above comment.

Hmmmm

Are you in crossfire mode? I dont know AMD GPU's however with SLI depending on version, it has, I think, come and gone you cant always get output from the "slave" card in SLI mode. Mayhaps a similar issue?

I tried the HP only, connected through display port, and I would never my desktop to come up.

I could try another cable eventually.

Definitely in Crossfire mode. Could be the same case where the slave card doesn't output displays.

Does the HP have multiple inputs on the back? Could it be just that it is looking for the signal to be on the DVI port or something?

Does the HP have multiple inputs on the back? Could it be just that it is looking for the signal to be on the DVI port or something?

it should auto detect the source unless its plugged into 2 sources then it will default to the first input on the list.

DVI port 1 and HDMI are definitely shared unless you have the sapphire flex card which it isn't.

odds are the cables bad. not uncommon.

as far as the primary/secondary displays go any of the displays can be set as primary if you want to just trouble shoot stuff use windows monitor config to control the displays instead of the drivers. you can pick and choose which one is the primary display and the locations of the displays. if you want to run eyefinity then of course use CCC to control it.

when it comes to the primary/slave card i believe you can only use one or the other when in crossfire, i know a long time ago you could use both and it would then disable the displays on the slave card when you turned a game/3d application on but i think they moved away from that. Nvidia tried it as well for a while then scratched that feature off shortly after until they came out with nvsurround.

It should, as you say, auto detect.

Both of my Samsung monitors also should auto detect. That feature can, however be turned off. In the case of my monitor holding the power button down can toggle auto select.

Just one more thing that should, like you cable, be working but could in fact be failing to perform as expected and checkable before spending cold hard cash in this dreary climate.

Seems logical that the primary DVI port and HDMI ports are shared. It won't let me turn both of them on at the same time.

When I plug in the DP cable to the HP monitor it doesn't auto detect. I tried letting the monitor scan for inputs and I forced it to the DP input and it still wouldn't detect anything. Seems like the cable could be bad and that would be a first for me. I'll try to bum another DP cable from a friend and see what happens.

Back