Multiple kill-o-watt in a row ?

ChristianVirtual

[H]ard DCOTM x3
I have right now one watt meter on the wall giving me the overall usage of watt for my computers. Beside that measurement I would like an additional kill-o-watt (with USB connector) for a 24/7 folding rig.

I want both readings at the same time so I plan to place one meter behind the other.
I would assume that not an issue but as I don't know how they work internally I wonder if someone here know if multiple kill-o-watt can be connected sequentially.

Thanks in advance

Are any of power supplies you're using running Active PFC? That has been known to skew the accuracy of the Kill-O-Watt meter.

Not as far I'm aware of. Seasonic PSUs, iMac, ... Standard stuff. No backup power supplies or batteries.

you have a citation on that tiraides? not saying its BS, just that I would like to know the mechanism if it is so

I don't see any issue putting them in series, its just a shunt after all.

hmmmm, I knew they weren't terribly accurate, has anyone ever gathered any data comparing the results with active PFC and more conventional loads?

Weren't accurate? Did you read the link I sent you. That was with an Active PFC unit and was showing a PSU with 102% efficiency... when in reality it is only 62% effecient.

As for the data you're asking, I think you'll need to venture into the PSU sub forum and start a new topic. Maybe one of the PSU reviewers for HardOCP will share some more data.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Skillz, that certainly fleshes it out a bit

Yeah I have one too, but I don't use it on my computer.

Thanks for the inputs and links; will run through them ; lots reading.

My both Seasonics are a SS-850KM3 and a SS-1050XM. The later is the one I want to watch closer as it powers the folding rig.

The readings don't need to be exact; a good indication is enough, plus minus 5% I wouldn't mind.

In addition to what Dangman said, both of those PSUs are Active PFC. If you seriously want to and/or need to monitor the power usage of those systems then I would recommend the Brand 4-1850 I posted above. Sure it's going to be a lot more than ~$20 that you can spend on a KAW, but as Dangman pointed out. When the readings could be nearly 50% off it's a big deal.

Back