Multi-homing (I think) and traffic routing

/usr/sbin

Successfully Trolled by Megalith
I hope my little diagram helps out.

Basically I have two routers setup, they hold two different public IPs. One (Router 1) is for me and the primary HTPC. The other (Router 2) is for an upstairs wireless HTPC and my kids laptops. I have the routers in place as a bandwidth control system (the routers have a speed capped WAN port), to help control latency etc. when people download, this way I can play games if they are downloading or whatever and vice-versa.

I would like to have my network shares from my Media Server PC (also gaming desktop) available to both sets of networks, and direct internet traffic from the Media Server PC so it only goes out on Router 1. For the Media Server PC, the link to router 2 should only be for media shares.

Is there any way to do this? OS on the Media Server PC is Win 7 Professional 64, and it does have 2 NICs, one 100 Mbit, the other 1000 Mbit.

networka.png

Then you are not properly setting it up. It is possible for multi-homing to work but you are over complicating a simple problem.

this setup is so over complex and wrong in every way! Why does it have to be so complicated ?

what is the propose of this idea ?

I'll echo that you're over complicating it- the only way I see to do what you want to do is to buy a managed switch and have both routers connect to it as well as your "media pc" then have it direct traffic appropriately- which means about a $600-$900 outlay.

With what you currently have setup, no you can't do what you want to.

The best option is still to setup a single router properly with QoS & traffic shaping and you'll be fine.

EDIT: If you do what you're proposing one of your networks still won't be able to access the shares on the media pc, as you've drawn it- your HTPC won't have access to the shares... is that really what you want? Because as you describe it you can't have internet only traffic go out one link but then network shares go out both....

Then you are not properly setting it up. It is possible for multi-homing to work but you are over complicating a simple problem.

Pretty sure I did.

I had a sizable ruleset worked out, and had the issue. To test it out I cleared it all.

-Reserved 192.168.0.199 for my desktop.
-Set DHCP lease range to 192.168.0.2 - .198
-Set ALL traffic from .199 to highest priority
-Set ALL traffic from any other IP to lowest priority

Started downloading at 30 Mbit on one of the secondary PCs. Game ping times went to shit on my PC (the .199 IP) with the best QoS.

Basically I want to know if there is a way to set Internet traffic to go over a certain NIC in my PC.

I

EDIT: If you do what you're proposing one of your networks still won't be able to access the shares on the media pc, as you've drawn it- your HTPC won't have access to the shares... is that really what you want? Because as you describe it you can't have internet only traffic go out one link but then network shares go out both....

Yes that's exactly what I wanted.

Oh well, sucks it won't work. :(

Pretty sure I did.

I had a sizable ruleset worked out, and had the issue. To test it out I cleared it all.

-Reserved 192.168.0.199 for my desktop.
-Set DHCP lease range to 192.168.0.2 - .198
-Set ALL traffic from .199 to highest priority
-Set ALL traffic from any other IP to lowest priority

Started downloading at 30 Mbit on one of the secondary PCs. Game ping times went to shit on my PC (the .199 IP) with the best QoS.

Basically I want to know if there is a way to set Internet traffic to go over a certain NIC in my PC.

That still may not be correct but more likely than faulty QOS is that you are simply choking out the cpu/mem on your router by using torrents.

More likely than faulty QOS is that you are simply choking out the cpu/mem on your router by using torrents.

It wasn't torrents, I don't even use them, and I know my kids don't either.

Besides that, when I did my testing I opened up links to multiple large HTTP downloads until I had the link saturated, about 7-8 HTTP downloads. The ping times on the highest priority PC were still crap. I know I had the priorities right, VOIP was labeled highest as an example, and torrents were labeled lowest as the in router example, so I didn't have them reversed. Just for craps, I reversed them anyways, and it was worse.

Last edited:

yes.
manually assign a static IP on the NIC you don't want to get to the internet.
Just don't assign a default gateway.
All internet traffic will go out the primary NIC that does have a Default Gateway.

Back