msi z690 wont flash bios

TeleFragger

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been all over google... everyone says try different size thumb drives..usb 2.0... I tried from 64mb all the way to 32gb. msi.rom on thumb in fat 32 and after pressing flash button, light flashes 6 times... just wont flash and wont post with my i9-13900k..
Going to store to look for an 8gb usb 2.0 thumb... any other ideas or recommendations?

Wow... trying physical thumb drives to no avail and it turns out I used a 16gb set to 500mb and fat seems to have worked!
I say seems to as it is still flashing as my thumb drive has an LED and it is still blinking!!!!

I found this video and got to this part to which is simple... he used diskpart to clean the thumb then disk manager to set to 500mb and fat and remove volume label!

she ran all night and never flashed. Well am assuming the machine isnt posting due to the 13th gen cpu... so decided to buy an Intel Core i3-12100F as a very low cpu that I hope will allow it to post so I can then get into the bios and update that way.
Kinda sucks, but I am also kinda stuck with another motherboard that was renewed, found out physically broken (flash button ripped off), and Amazon wont take it back. My storage server may get the upgrade then if I get both motherboards flashed via bios instead of this no cpu/memory way.
Things never seem to go easy for me! but hey.. bad luck is better than no luck!

I have an ASUS X670e motherboard. Why isn't the requirement for a certain format of the USB drive documented???

I have had repeated failures to upgrade my BIOS. Now I have some hope. (y)

I have an ASUS X670e motherboard. Why isn't the requirement for a certain format of the USB drive documented???

I have had repeated failures to upgrade my BIOS. Now I have some hope. (y)
hope it works for you... I still am a no go!!!!

Update... I figured, screw it... I have 2 motherboards now and was gonna get rid of one but why not just upgrade my storage server.
So I bought an i3-12100F, figuring this motherboard should be able to handle that... uhhhh nope..
still cannot boot or post, and flashing isnt working still... ughhhhhhhh

any insight greatly appreciated...

I can say with the:
i9-13900K - LED went Orange (graphics) Red (CPU) and repeated back and forth
i3-12100F - Red (CPU) and stays solid

Wow this sounds like a pain. I know that you said you mentioned being all over Google already looking for solutions. You try flashing the board with no cpu installed and then installing everything yet? Swap out the battery on the board?

For all who may benefit: User citay on MSI forums post with the steps:

1. Download the latest BIOS file from the MSI support site for your board and extract it.
2. Rename the extracted BIOS file to MSI.ROM, and save it to the root of your USB flash drive / USB stick (not in a subfolder).
It's best to use a USB stick of 32 GB or less, in order to format it to FAT32 successfully. FAT32 formatting is a must for the USB flash drive.
3. Plug the USB flash drive / USB stick that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on the rear I/O panel.
4. With the PC off, press the Flash BIOS Button, and the LED should start flashing for about 5-7 minutes and then the board reboots.

edit: I have an old 16gb Microcenter branded usb thumb drive from Microcenter formatted FAT32 for all my bios flashing and it seems to work for any board I've tried. Some people seem to think newer MSI boards are picky about the USD drive.

Wow this sounds like a pain. I know that you said you mentioned being all over Google already looking for solutions. You try flashing the board with no cpu installed and then installing everything yet? Swap out the battery on the board?

For all who may benefit: User citay on MSI forums post with the steps:

1. Download the latest BIOS file from the MSI support site for your board and extract it.
2. Rename the extracted BIOS file to MSI.ROM, and save it to the root of your USB flash drive / USB stick (not in a subfolder).
It's best to use a USB stick of 32 GB or less, in order to format it to FAT32 successfully. FAT32 formatting is a must for the USB flash drive.
3. Plug the USB flash drive / USB stick that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on the rear I/O panel.
4. With the PC off, press the Flash BIOS Button, and the LED should start flashing for about 5-7 minutes and then the board reboots.

edit: I have an old 16gb Microcenter branded usb thumb drive from Microcenter formatted FAT32 for all my bios flashing and it seems to work for any board I've tried. Some people seem to think newer MSI boards are picky about the USD drive.
exact steps i have performed... only difference is i did have the 2 cpu plugs from PS to motherboard.. removed 1...
also i have all components, except nvme drives removed.. going to do that next...

That board might just be toast. Did you try to flash the traditional way the first time and it failed?

That board might just be toast. Did you try to flash the traditional way the first time and it failed?
never got it to go....

so isnt a 12th gen just supposed to work? I bought an i3-12100F and it does not post... now I have another motherboard that I bought from Amazon back in October but never got to build the machine (long build i know) and that board is broken.. the flash button is physically broke.. so i was hoping to pop the 12th gen in, power up, go in bios and boom upgrade bios but no..

never got it to go....

so isnt a 12th gen just supposed to work? I bought an i3-12100F and it does not post... now I have another motherboard that I bought from Amazon back in October but never got to build the machine (long build i know) and that board is broken.. the flash button is physically broke.. so i was hoping to pop the 12th gen in, power up, go in bios and boom upgrade bios but no..
Typically they do. Check the msi website for that board to see exactly what cpus are supported for the release bios.

never got it to go....

Yes, it should. Maybe the broken flash button is screwing it up.

My MSI board won't update BIOS anymore either, I'm on a Z490 Gaming Plus with a i9-10850K. I get a reboot that goes to a black screen and nothing updates no matter how long I wait. Tried various formats and things, nothing worked.

The only way I got my MSI BIOS to update was running it from windows, no luck via the BIOS. (but that's not realy an option if you can't boot at all)

The only way I got my MSI BIOS to update was running it from windows, no luck via the BIOS. (but that's not realy an option if you can't boot at all)
Can you guide me on how to do this, I couldn't figure it out when I was trying to upgrade my board

what a pain. I just registered both motherboards with MSI... I hope they can help me especially on the renewed physically broken one. I think it was purchased from the MSI store on amazon, so hoping they can tie the date, my name and sn up to get the order and get this fixed.
It is frustrating as the last PC I built was a Q6600 so you see it has been some time!

Silly side note,

ok RMA on the physically broken.. what a paint... and i have to pay shipping to them.. and they will see about fixing, etc and maybe a fee... so renewed was not the best choice here!!! more to come..

now to see if i should just rma the NEW one so they flash it, etc...ughhh

ok RMA on the physically broken.. what a paint... and i have to pay shipping to them.. and they will see about fixing, etc and maybe a fee... so renewed was not the best choice here!!! more to come..

now to see if i should just rma the NEW one so they flash it, etc...ughhh
Typically they all make you pay shipping to get it there. Which board exactly is it?

Hmmm the 12100F should work with the release bios of the board.
that is what i thought and neither are working... frustrating... I got the broken one off via RMA, will see the dillio... so $150 renewed plus $26 shipping to RMA = $25 cheaper than new so far.. but will see if they swap it out lol

Hmmm the 12100F should work with the release bios of the board.
I am an idiot! but my friends know this...
first i dont know how i got it to post.. moved memory to 2nd slot and reseat video card.
Boom post!...

so in bios i chose m-flash. It rebooted and saw my thumb drive. I added folders and it saw that as well..
quick google on msi m-flash not seeing bios filess lead me to a forum that someone said you have wrong bios file. I googled my motherboard again... msi z690-a but i addee ddr4 and the results showed that I have not been to these links. went in and to bios files and were different name for latest!!!!!

so long story short for others...
I had wrong bios thus flash button didnt work. albeit thumb drive looked like it was working starting friday night till this morning!

the other motherboard is physically broken so going to get tjat fixed.

20230703_134415.jpg

I had wrong bios thus flash button didnt work. albeit thumb drive looked like it was working starting friday night till this morning!

I was gonna say if you hadn't gotten in, there are 4 different boards under the Z690-A Pro line so its really easy to pick the wrong one on their site. I owned both DDR4 versions (wifi and not) and did this myself.

I am an idiot! but my friends know this...
first i dont know how i got it to post.. moved memory to 2nd slot and reseat video card.
Boom post!...

so in bios i chose m-flash. It rebooted and saw my thumb drive. I added folders and it saw that as well..
quick google on msi m-flash not seeing bios filess lead me to a forum that someone said you have wrong bios file. I googled my motherboard again... msi z690-a but i addee ddr4 and the results showed that I have not been to these links. went in and to bios files and were different name for latest!!!!!

the other motherboard is physically broken so going to get tjat fixed.

View attachment 581025
Glad you got it figured out. Inspect socket pins closely next time you can to make sure none are bent/broke.

so after installing win 11 in like 2 inutes..i can see she is fast. but warzone...errr same ole so now to save up to upg my rtx 2070 lol

Back