MSI X570 Tomahawk review: possibly the best $200 X570

So there's one thing I really don't like about this bios. My cpu for sum reason keeps running on a load randomly. It never used to do this. Without anything running just browsing the internet it'll be on a load!?! Why does this bios do that?? If I'm just browsing the internet it should not put a load on the cpu.. Is there any other bios that didn't do this? Is it possible certain bios can make the cpu run hotter than others bc that seems to be the case!?

Last edited:
Are we on the same bios? This is not beta right?
Yes, it's the same bios. Nope, still a beta. Odd as on MSI's site it's labelled a Beta, but once installed it shows the 1.B0, so I don't understand that. And of course it's final so..

So there's one thing I really don't like about this bios. My cpu for sum reason keeps running on a load randomly. It never used to do this. Without anything running just browsing the internet it'll be on a load!?! Why does this bios do that?? If I'm just browsing the internet it should not put a load on the cpu.. Is there any other bios that didn't do this? Is it possible certain bios can make the cpu run hotter than others bc that seems to be the case!?
Have you tried the bios before this one? I don't have that problem.

Have you tried the bios before this one? I don't have that problem.
No I haven't. I was actually on the bios that the motherboard came on dated 2020. This bios was the first one I ever flashed to. What suggestion?

you can get a gigabyte Aorus Master X570S for around $259 now a days.

I'm using AGESA 1.2.0.3b (released in July 2021) with zero issues...I'm hesitant to update the BIOS since everything is working so good...I hear the newer BIOS versions fix issues related to Windows 11 (I'm still using W10)

1678410160475.png

This has been stable for me ever since flashing. Spent several months doing per core PBO2 and getting my memory speed up to 3600 CL14, not really wanting to screw it up unless something has been fixed with the bios

The New beta bios would lag if I had my Chinese Bluedio T5 headphones plugged in, suppose it could just be the headphones as I usually dont have them plugged in, dont think I have had them plugged in with earlier versions. Strange as they should be in charge mode when plugged in.

Anybody notice any performance hits tied to the BIOS updates with security patches?

In the meltdown/spectre days, the BIOS updates trashed performance.

Anybody notice any performance hits tied to the BIOS updates with security patches?

In the meltdown/spectre days, the BIOS updates trashed performance.

most of meltdown/spectre didn't effect ryzen and the instances that did effect ryzen didn't cause any noticeable performance impact. that was primarily intel that was heavily effected by the performance loss.

Updated to the new bios and my rig has become unstable with the same clock speeds I had. Rig will just blink out and reboot just idling at desktop. :rolleyes:

Reverting back to the previous bios.

Updated to the new bios and my rig has become unstable with the same clock speeds I had. Rig will just blink out and reboot just idling at desktop. :rolleyes:

Reverting back to the previous bios.
Thanks for reporting back! I have seen a few reports like this with the newer bios versions.

Thanks for reporting back! I have seen a few reports like this with the newer bios versions.
Thanks man. Sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some. Reverting back to the previous 1C version, everything is back to normal. There's also a new added thing called "MSI Utility Download" in the new bios. Once you flash to the new bios, it comes up in windows to download said utility. I had to disable it in the bios so it wouldn't start.

I just updated to 7C84v1D with my 5900X, and so far no issues. I disabled the MSI utility in the settings, not sure why they would add something like that. RAM is running normal at 3600 XMP. Cinebench R23 score did drop a bit but still within margin of error.

Thanks man. Sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some. Reverting back to the previous 1C version, everything is back to normal. There's also a new added thing called "MSI Utility Download" in the new bios. Once you flash to the new bios, it comes up in windows to download said utility. I had to disable it in the bios so it wouldn't start.

Damn.. slipping in these "download" utilities seems like its the normal. Wasn't it just recently Gigabyte in the spotlight over some baked in software like this

Damn.. slipping in these "download" utilities seems like its the normal. Wasn't it just recently Gigabyte in the spotlight over some baked in software like this
Yup, doing HTTP requests out, talk about lets open up a massive backdoor hole into a persons system for Man-In-The-Middle attacks.

I hate this crap. New Lenovo laptop from work has this, disabled it right away.

Well I hate to be a traitor, but I'm swapping out the X570 to an X570S. I've been having certain games crashing and I've swapped everything with no love. Last 2 parts are the board and card, so I'mma swap the board and try the S model of this board. Video card will be the last part to swap. I almost totally rebuilt my rig chasing this dam issue down.

Haven't tried the last Beta Bios. Will update when I swap boards. Good luck to the rest of you guys that still have this great board.

I think I read that is for PCIE (Specifically for Intel ARC?) power savings. I'm going to pass on it for now.

Looks like E7C84AMS.1E0 - AGESA 1.2.0.A mainly fixes the fTPM issue and just happens to fix the 140A EDC bug introduced ages ago. I never had a problem with this as my chip was a dud but this new one seems to fly. I went ahead and updated, not noticing anything too weird. Will report back. Currently 5900X +200MHz, CO from -2 to -22 across the board and 3600 CL14.

Looks like E7C84AMS.1E0 - AGESA 1.2.0.A mainly fixes the fTPM issue and just happens to fix the 140A EDC bug introduced ages ago. I never had a problem with this as my chip was a dud but this new one seems to fly. I went ahead and updated, not noticing anything too weird. Will report back. Currently 5900X +200MHz, CO from -2 to -22 across the board and 3600 CL14.
very nice

I just put my build together today with this board. The BIOS version reads E7D54AMS.140, Build date 08/11/2022
Which one do you all recommend that I update to that is stable without issues?

Hey there, updated to the newest bios but have had odd intermittent issues I wanted to see if anyone had been able to resolve.

About 3 bios updates ago, I would intermittently blue screen with hypervisor errors. Sometimes, it would just go to a black screen. And weirdly enough, at boot time I would be held on the "_" character during post for an obnoxiously long time before Windows would decide to boot. As of the most recent bios update, I am completely unable to boot into Windows if AMD SVM is enabled. I need this enabled as I often work with VMs and above all else, WSL.

I'm just trying to figure out if this is a hardware issue, I've replaced my RAM and NVME drive and the issue persists, so I"m not sure what to look at next.

After a clean install of Win 11, I am able to boot in with SVM mode enabled, but attempting to enable Hyper-V and WSL leads to errors. Naturally, core isolation also fails to enable.

Last edited:
Hey there, updated to the newest bios but have had odd intermittent issues I wanted to see if anyone had been able to resolve.

About 3 bios updates ago, I would intermittently blue screen with hypervisor errors. Sometimes, it would just go to a black screen. And weirdly enough, at boot time I would be held on the "_" character during post for an obnoxiously long time before Windows would decide to boot. As of the most recent bios update, I am completely unable to boot into Windows if AMD SVM is enabled. I need this enabled as I often work with VMs and above all else, WSL.

I'm just trying to figure out if this is a hardware issue, I've replaced my RAM and NVME drive and the issue persists, so I"m not sure what to look at next.

After a clean install of Win 11, I am able to boot in with SVM mode enabled, but attempting to enable Hyper-V and WSL leads to errors. Naturally, core isolation also fails to enable.

I'd start by pulling PCIe cards that aren't required (if any) and seeing if that changes the behavior of booting. Also wouldn't hurt to re-seat the CPU - very strange problem. Got a spare CPU or motherboard around to rule out your current 2?

I would not get anything less than X570S motherboard
Chipset fans are cool though.

1695316432978.png

But in all seriousness X570S and X570 are an identical chipset, just all X570S boards have gone to passive cooling. There is nothing inherently wrong with X570, and I think with most boards the BIOS updates have made it so they will sometimes completely stop spinning if it's running cool enough. If one finds a good deal on an X570 board there is no shame here. Gigabyte was ahead of the curve here with the X570 Aorus Xtreme, as far as I know the only "X570" to not have a chipset fan.

Back