MSI QD-OLED Monitors 2024

An LCD at 20% is way different than an OLED at 20%. OLED is inherently less bright in SDR so you really gotta crank the brightness sometimes. I'm someone who runs my LCD monitors at like, 40-50% brightness, but OLED generally has to be at least 75-80% to look similar.
And in terms of what absolute brightness people run screens at, well it can vary based on their environment, as well as preferences. Sure, I'd like to play in a nice blacked-out room with only some low level lighting behind my monitor. I used to do that, had a nice studio in my old place, I think there's still pictures on [H] of it somewhere. However now I live with my girlfriend, I don't have my own dedicated room for a computer anymore, and she turns the light on in the computer room all the time. So that leaves me two options:

1) Get mad at her, argue with her over it, have this be a big deal that we are in conflict on and maybe split up over.

or

2) Just turn up my monitor brightness and deal with it.

I choose 2.

So...ran into a new issue last night. Was in the middle of a game when my monitor decided to power itself off. It wasn't attempting to run a pixel refresh this time because if you interrupt a pixel refresh by powering the monitor back on, a notification will pop up telling you that the pixel refresh wasn't successful and only giving you the option to restart it again when ready. I didn't get any notification after powering it back on, the monitor just continued to run as usual. So for good measure, I decided to manually run a pixel refresh anyway then went back to my game after it was finished. After playing for about 10 more minutes, the monitor powered itself off AGAIN. And once more no notification after powering it back on. This is the first time the monitor just randomly decided to shut off on me that wasn't related to pixel refreshing and I've had this thing for about 6 weeks now. I'll continue to monitor it but if it keeps happening, would Bestbuy allow me to treat it as defective?

Best Buy isn't going to help you with that. If it were maybe a week after the return window they would make an exception but in this case they'll tell you to use the manufacturer warranty. MSI offers advanced replacement FYI (they send you a replacement first) but it's usually not available for brand new products. Just keep in mind MSI sends refurbs as replacements.

I would first contact BB. Worst they can do is say no.

Yeah I figured. I'll keep an eye on it, maybe one of my cables is getting loose or something else unrelated to the monitor itself idk. I'll reseat all the cables once I'm home and see if it persists.

Its actually not the first time I've heard this happening with the monitor. There are quite a few others who experienced the same thing of it just randomly shutting down mid game with no prompt about the forced panel refresh or anything.

Yeah for sure this isn't related to a forced refresh happening. The lack of a notification pop up is a pretty tell sign but manually running a refresh cycle and then having it shutdown on me again shortly afterwards pretty much rules out panel refresh. Really not sure what the issue is because it didn't do this at all during the first 6 weeks.

Someone with a MPG model had it happen to them after 3 weeks. Not sure what the root cause is yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1056.jpeg
    IMG_1056.jpeg
    416.9 KB · Views: 0
Ok so I just got my reward and it looks like MSI did a bait and switch, here's the old promotion:

1712949364832.png

Now here's what I actually recieved:

1712949387379.png

It was supposed to be a copy of DD2 + $50 steam gift card. I only got the $30 steam gift card. MSI decided to just change the promotion rewards on us I guess. Oh well.

EDIT: Turns out the MAG qualified for an entirely different promotion that doesn't even show up on their initial page lol https://us.msi.com/Promotion/best-QD-OLED-monitors.

Last edited:
MSI MPG 321URX is available at Adorama. I just bought it.
https://www.adorama.com/msim321urxqd.html

I stacked 2% Bing, 11% Rakuten, and Honey said 1-6%. We will see how it pans out. Rakuten confirmed immediately.

I was really tempted to go with Dell, because they replace for even 1 dead or stuck pixel. But, I'm taking the chance here. About $300 less after cashback and MSI's $50 steam voucher and Dragon's Dogma promo----than the Dell would be with current cashback offers at Dell.com

*Also, the Dell doesn't have a headphone out, which is super dumb.

Last edited:
MSI MPG 321URX is available at Adorama. I just bought it.
https://www.adorama.com/msim321urxqd.html

I stacked 2% Bing, 11% Rakuten, and Honey said 1-6%. We will see how it pans out. Rakuten confirmed immediately.

I was really tempted to go with Dell, because they replace for even 1 dead or stuck pixel. But, I'm taking the chance here. About $300 less after cashback and MSI's $50 steam voucher and Dragon's Dogma promo----than the Dell would be with current cashback offers at Dell.com

*Also, the Dell doesn't have a headphone out, which is super dumb.
annnnd they backordered it. sneaky.

I was able to place an order for a MPG last night from Best Buy. They had stock for 1 minute every 30 minutes for nearly 12 hours. It shows delivery on the 22nd. I'm anxious to have an OLED to evaluate. I don't plan to ever purchase another display with a matte screen, so I'm hopeful this one works for me. I don't have an interest in Mini LED for that reason.

I was able to place an order for a MPG last night from Best Buy. They had stock for 1 minute every 30 minutes for nearly 12 hours. It shows delivery on the 22nd. I'm anxious to have an OLED to evaluate. I don't plan to ever purchase another display with a matte screen, so I'm hopeful this one works for me. I don't have an interest in Mini LED for that reason.
Dang I looked at Best Buy a lot yesterday :(

*I may cancel Adorama and wait for Best Buy.

Well it's been about a week since I had the monitor randomly power off on me during a game but it hasn't happened again since. I even had my PC + monitor running for 13 hours straight yesterday without anything happening so for now I'll write it off as a one time event.

Anyone have any tips for the hot garbage kvm? I constantly switch to device 2 and it doesn't bring anything over. No reliable method to get it working. Huge pain in the ass.

Anyone have any tips for the hot garbage kvm? I constantly switch to device 2 and it doesn't bring anything over. No reliable method to get it working. Huge pain in the ass.
Well to double check, both devices need to be connected to the monitor, via USB. In this case, one via USB-B to A. And the other, via USB-C.

The firmware update doesn't mention any improvements for the KVM. But I would install it, if you havent.

Sadly it is all hooked up right. It works some of the time, just not all the time, or even a lot of the time. Latest firmware, still haven't quite figured it out. This time what got it to switch over was unplugging all the usb devices from the monitor and waiting 30+ minutes and then adding them back while on the USB-C device.

I just wish there was an easy, reliable fix for when it did happen, like oh switch the kvm from auto to usb-c and back again, something like that. Nothing so far.

Well it's been about a week since I had the monitor randomly power off on me during a game but it hasn't happened again since. I even had my PC + monitor running for 13 hours straight yesterday without anything happening so for now I'll write it off as a one time event.

I've had the 321URX since early March and this has happened to me one time. I was pushing an objective in Battlefield so it happened at the worst possible time too :) No idea what caused it.

I've had the 321URX since early March and this has happened to me one time. I was pushing an objective in Battlefield so it happened at the worst possible time too :) No idea what caused it.

Yeah I'm unable to replicate it so there's really no point in trying to RMA this thing because odds are the replacement unit might end up doing the same thing if MSI isn't aware of it and fixes it. Oh well fingers crossed it doesn't happen again, but seeing as it took 6 weeks for it to occur the first time, it may just be a while until it happens again. I am concerned that others are having this issue as well because this may not just be a defect limited to my unit but rather a more widespread issue.

Ok so I just got my reward and it looks like MSI did a bait and switch, here's the old promotion:

View attachment 647311

Now here's what I actually recieved:

View attachment 647312

It was supposed to be a copy of DD2 + $50 steam gift card. I only got the $30 steam gift card. MSI decided to just change the promotion rewards on us I guess. Oh well.

EDIT: Turns out the MAG qualified for an entirely different promotion that doesn't even show up on their initial page lol https://us.msi.com/Promotion/best-QD-OLED-monitors.
I ordered the MSI MPG 321URX from Adorama. Their page didn't say anything at the time, about it being backordered. But, it went straight to backorder.

And now I was looking at my order, and found that they observe passover, starting 4/22. and won't ship anything until May 1st. So even if it becomes available in the next few days, it won't ship.

So, I won't make the deadline to claim the MSI promo for $50 steam voucher and free Dragon's Dogma 2.

and one of my cashback boosts expired a few hours ago.

This is absolutely inane.

I ordered the MSI MPG 321URX from Adorama. Their page didn't say anything at the time, about it being backordered. But, it went straight to backorder.

And now I was looking at my order, and found that they observe passover, starting 4/22. and won't ship anything until May 1st. So even if it becomes available in the next few days, it won't ship.

So, I won't make the deadline to claim the MSI promo for $50 steam voucher and free Dragon's Dogma 2.

and one of my cashback boosts expired a few hours ago.

This is absolutely inane.

I have no idea how Adorama is still in business given how they treat customers. I only attempted to shop at Adorama once and then never again, figured everyone would've done the same if this is how they operate. Them changing my order status to a backorder is the exact same thing they did to me and this was about 10 years ago.

And in terms of what absolute brightness people run screens at, well it can vary based on their environment, as well as preferences. Sure, I'd like to play in a nice blacked-out room with only some low level lighting behind my monitor. I used to do that, had a nice studio in my old place, I think there's still pictures on [H] of it somewhere. However now I live with my girlfriend, I don't have my own dedicated room for a computer anymore, and she turns the light on in the computer room all the time. So that leaves me two options:

1) Get mad at her, argue with her over it, have this be a big deal that we are in conflict on and maybe split up over.

or

2) Just turn up my monitor brightness and deal with it.

I choose 2.
Dude, dump her. Obvious choice here. :)

I received the MPG 321URX today, and I absolutely love it! My top concern was that brightness wouldn't be enough for me, but I can't tell any difference from my Dell U3223QE. I've been using the Dell at 75%, which I believed was 300 nits since its a 400 nit monitor, but it must not be a linear scale, because the 321URX at 100% brightness looks identical, so maybe I've been using 250 nits all along and just thought it was higher.

I haven't noticed any text fringing, which is something else I was worried about. I can tell that text is just slightly less sharp than on a 4K IPS, but the glossy screen more than makes up for that small loss in sharpness.

It's daytime so I haven't used it in a dark room yet. I have my normal room lighting, and my blinds are open, and I don't have any issues with screen brightness or reflections. On my matte Dell I have to look at my reflection all day long, and it bothers me. The Dell doesn't show a defined reflection -- it's a hazy fog that destroys contrast and is always there. With the OLED, in a bright room -- window to the side with no direct light shining on the screen or from behind me -- I can just faintly see my reflection, but it disappears when there is a picture on the screen -- unlike the matte Dell where it's always noticeable. I don't notice any raised blacks, which is also something I was concerned about, but what I do notice is the lack of bleed and glow from the IPS. I can see the reflection of my backlit keyboard, but it's much fainter and less distracting than on the Dell.

I don't have a MiniLED, other than my MacBook Pro screen, which I rarely use, so my comparison to the OLED is a SDR IPS, and this is an awesome replacement in that regard. I don't plan to ever again purchase a matte panel, but I understand that some people want a brighter screen for HDR, and MacBook Pro does get much brighter than the OLED when watching HDR videos.

I purchased a USB hub so that I can connect my USB DAC in addition to a keyboard and mouse. I've switched back and forth between my PC and MacBook a few times, and I did have to turn the display off and on once to get the USB inputs to switch over. Maybe if I had waited a little longer it would have switched anyway, but in at least that one instance it didn't work as smoothly as the KVM with the Dell. I also had trouble getting the display to turn on out of the box. I connected a DP cable but it wanted to use HDMI. Strangely, the OSD isn't functional without a working input, so I had to connect HDMI just to switch over to DP.

I'm using the care settings from the Monitors Unboxed video testing for burn in. Time will tell how it works out for burn in.

I have had multiple Alienware AW3420DWF replacements through warranty and just saw burn in on the latest replacement. Don't know if it was something I caused over the last few weeks or if it was there when it came to me.

I'm done doing the warranty process. I can't deal with this shit any more. I might try the 4k 240hz MSI monitor. I'd like to tolerate this burn in until stuff goes on sale. I don't know if I isn't stick it out or not.

I hate to just dumpster a monitor of this price, but I'm so tired of talking to them on the phone and shipping and receiving monitors.

I have no idea how Adorama is still in business given how they treat customers. I only attempted to shop at Adorama once and then never again, figured everyone would've done the same if this is how they operate. Them changing my order status to a backorder is the exact same thing they did to me and this was about 10 years ago.
Yeah, really dumb.
And I dunno how they are not shipping for a week and a half, during a promotion deadline, for which their site is one of the featured sites. I understand its Passover. But, uhhh....

I cancelled my order and left a large comment about why. Nothing harsh. Just laying out the multiple levels of stupid.

On another note:

I've been seeing more than a few comments around the internet (in discussion about the new wave of monitors), of people saying that QD-OLED hurts their eyes. I've been wondering about that. Because VA panels hurt my eyes, within about 10 minutes.

So I went to Best Buy today and looked at one of Alienware's 34 ultrawides with a 1st gen QD-OLED panel. And then I looked at two different Samsung TVs. and it was pretty much immediate, that my eyes were having trouble focusing and locking into a comfortable viewing.

I then went and looked at LG's brand new 800R MLA WOLED ultrawide, and had immediate comfort in viewing it. (and I wasn't surprised, because I had a KTC OLED (WOLED panel) for a couple of days, and loved looking at it. (Except for the dark, dead pixel, and group of clouded pixels around it, heh.)

I felt pretty confident after that, maybe I shouldn't get a QD-OLED. And felt better about canceling my Adorama order, for the MSI 32 QD-OLED.

I have some more observations after using for half a day, and seeing it in the dark.

I'm in awe of the picture! I've been using an OLED for TV for 8 years, but having it for my PC is like experiencing it for the first time all over again.

I pushed it a little further back on my desk, and that fixed the issue with text clarity. If I lean forward I can see the difference, but when sitting back in my chair it looks amazing. Because of the glossy screen I feel just as satisfied with text clarity on this as with my Apple Studio Display.

The USB seems to disconnect during standby every time. That means I can't wake the screen using keyboard or mouse. I believe the earlier KVM issue was also due to the fact it turns off USB when in standby.

Panel Protect did run upon entering standby after 4 hours of use, so I'm glad that works as advertised. As others have noted the power turns off after it runs.

I'm still surprised at how bright this OLED gets. Before getting it I expected that I'd return it due to be dissatisfied with the brightness, but not only is it acceptable, it's actually bright. Right now I'm using Windows with HDR enabled, and with the SDR brightness set to max it has to be over 300 nits. I'm also surprised that Windows seems to be clamping colors with HDR enabled so that they don't look oversaturated. I think I may use it with HDR always enabled. (I'm using Pro Mode - User.)

Last edited:
I have some more observations after using for half a day, and seeing it in the dark.

I'm in awe of the picture! I've been using an OLED for TV for 8 years, but having it for my PC is like experiencing it for the first time all over again.

I pushed it a little further back on my desk, and that fixed the issue with text clarity. If I lean forward I can see the difference, but when sitting back in my chair it looks amazing. Because of the glossy screen I feel just as satisfied with text clarity on this as with my Apple Studio Display.

The USB seems to disconnect during standby every time. That means I can't wake the screen using keyboard or mouse. I believe the earlier KVM issue was also due to the fact it turns off USB when in standby.

Panel Protect did run upon entering standby after 4 hours of use, so I'm glad that works as advertised. As others have noted the power turns off after it runs.

I'm still surprised at how bright this OLED gets. Before getting it I expected that I'd return it due to be dissatisfied with the brightness, but not only is it acceptable, it's actually bright. Right now I'm using Windows with HDR enabled, and with the SDR brightness set to max it has to be over 300 nits. I'm also surprised that Windows seems to be clamping colors with HDR enabled so that they don't look oversaturated. I think I may use it with HDR always enabled .

This has actually been the case for many years now and it's why I've kept HDR enabled 24/7 on all my screens ever since I got my LG CX back in 2020. The only way you run into problems is if the monitor itself is just borked like on certain Samsung and Asus monitors, otherwise you can leave HDR on all the time without any issue.

I've seen a strange issue where lines start appearing on the screen. It happened last night after waking the screen from standby. The bottom of the screen had a 1 pixel line that went across the entire screen, plus random short lines throughout. I power cycled and it went away. It just started happening randomly a few minutes ago, except this time the lines appeared and then quickly went away, and that repeated several times. I power cycled and that seems to have fixed it again. I found a thread with others discussing this same issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gamin...i_mpg_271qrx_qdoled_issues_when_set_to_360hz/

I've seen a strange issue where lines start appearing on the screen. It happened last night after waking the screen from standby. The bottom of the screen had a 1 pixel line that went across the entire screen, plus random short lines throughout. I power cycled and it went away. It just started happening randomly a few minutes ago, except this time the lines appeared and then quickly went away, and that repeated several times. I power cycled and that seems to have fixed it again. I found a thread with others discussing this same issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gamin...i_mpg_271qrx_qdoled_issues_when_set_to_360hz/

Haven't had this issue at all, but the monitor has at one point turned itself off on me randomly after 6 weeks.

I'm still surprised at how bright this OLED gets. Before getting it I expected that I'd return it due to be dissatisfied with the brightness, but not only is it acceptable, it's actually bright. Right now I'm using Windows with HDR enabled, and with the SDR brightness set to max it has to be over 300 nits. I'm also surprised that Windows seems to be clamping colors with HDR enabled so that they don't look oversaturated. I think I may use it with HDR always enabled. (I'm using Pro Mode - User.)
When you have HDR on Windows has a look at the monitor's gamut (which the inf file should tell it accurately) and if an application isn't HDR does mapping. It isn't always as accurate as a monitor's built in mapping so sometimes it is better to use the built-in sRGB, but if it looks good there's nothing wrong with it. Also it does know how to do it on at least some non-HDR monitors. My laptop has a regular LCD but it has a DCI-P3 gamut. However there's a little toggle in the display settings of Windows 11 that'll do gamut correction, and it does a pretty good job.

Haven't had this issue at all, but the monitor has at one point turned itself off on me randomly after 6 weeks.
I think its VRR related. I turned off Adaptive Sync in the monitor while it was happening and it immediately stopped. Do you have GeForce or Radeon graphics? I have a RX 7900 XTX.

I did see horizontal white line flashes on mine at random when I had it. Was mostly in the left top corner. Just attributed it to some DSC issue since it was so infrequent and random.

The USB disconnecting during standby is an annoyance when connected to my MacBook Pro. Since the keyboard and mouse can't wake it, I have to open the lid, and my USB DAC doesn't reconnect. I have to disconnect the USB-C cable and reconnect it for the DAC to reconnect. It also results in my work VPN disconnecting me, which always happens if I close the lid without having keyboard and mouse connected. I think I'm going to need to set it to use a screensaver and never turn off the screen to use it for work.

The KVM with my Dell always keeps the USB connected to the device during standby, so those issues don't happen.

Yeah I have heard people having issues with KVM/USB. Probably something that will get addressed with a firmware update but who knows when they will get to that, could be week or could be months.

Yeah I have heard people having issues with KVM/USB. Probably something that will get addressed with a firmware update but who knows when they will get to that, could be week or could be months.
It turned out to be a setting on the monitor. By default the Power Button setting is set to "Off". That means that the monitor is completely off including USB when pressing the button, and it also affects how the monitor behaves when in standby. Setting that to "Standby" results in the USB staying on when the screen is off.

I haven't had any more issues with USB ports when switching between PC and MacBook other the one incident on Saturday.

Back