MSI lightning GTX 680 testing

What about unlocking the "Voltage Control" in "Settings" and raising the Core Voltage slider in Afterburner? I tried it up to +50mv and seemed to squeeze a few more Mhz out of the cards, but it wasn't an extremely significant increase.

it keeps the card at a constant voltage, which can help, especially memory.

crappy news from unwinder. he starts vacation on 16th and if he doesn't have a card before then, 2.2.3 will be pushed to August release.

Another response for Unwinder:

So it may take longer, I'm still not sure myself if it will be possible without problems. That's why I absolutely hate marketing games and attemts to sell something that is not ready yet.

Things are not looking that good right now. I still think Msi is a quality company so hopefully they make this screw up right.

Ohhh shi....

img0546lw.jpg

The EVGA Classified 680s are beautiful. But I think the MSI Lightning 680s are better for 1-2 card setups (and, unless you're getting wet, forget 3-way or 4-way with Lightnings due to their fans dumping into the case and all over eachother)...can't beat the "LN2 BIOS" without all of Kepler's restrictions.

Don't you need a EVBOT to do that stuff? And even still, it's not fully unlocked? I'm really asking as I am not fully familiar with how that works.

I also did not realize how HUGE the Classy is versus the FTW+ 4GB!

classy_ftw_680.jpg

Last edited:
It's bigger and heavier than the 690's. [See my shot below] The cards cap at typical 1.175v via software, but will go up to 1.8v with an EVBot (which I have not received yet, but is on the way). I'm thoroughly testing each card individually, and the first card I have will do 1305/7114 @ 1.175v stable for hours in Heaven. I was able to get higher (about 1330) on the core stable in 3dmark and games, but not heaven, so thus I don't consider it fully stable. I could also push the ram higher but the voltage limitation throttled the core at that point. Also, after burn in the first card I tested would not go higher than 53*C at 1305mhz. These cards are going to be monsters when I unlock the voltages... the 14 phase pwm and cooler owns.

img0574c.jpg

Nice. Looks awesome. Can you 4-way SLI the Classys? They're just big height-wise, right?

Nice. Looks awesome. Can you 4-way SLI the Classys? They're just big height-wise, right?

Correct. Depending on what happens I may go with a 4th, but I had such a lousy experience with quad sli drivers that I figured I'd see what I could get out of 3. They run nicely in SLI with the exhausting cooler design.

Oh look it's pictures of a EVGa classified in a thread that has nothing to do with an EVGa Classified. Seriously why did you post those here if not for bragging pointlessly?

Oh look it's pictures of a EVGa classified in a thread that has nothing to do with an EVGa Classified. Seriously why did you post those here if not for bragging pointlessly?

No intentions to "pointlessly brag". I think comparisons are quite valuable. Any other thread about cards spark curiosity in how other competitive cards compare, but that is unacceptable here? I'll graciously then remove myself from the conversation.

Last edited:
so a $160 premium per card for the classified plus the cost of an evbot compared to a $100 premium per card for a lightning?

Its honestly just nice to see that someone actually has the classified ha. Saying its rare would be an understatement.

Its honestly just nice to see that someone actually has the classified ha. Saying its rare would be an understatement.

The stamped production dates on two of the cards with sequential serial numbers are two days apart... They're really pumping them out! Lol

I guess 3d mark dont work with a korean 27 in monitor since its dual link dvi and cant do 1280p

I tried to change the resolution down to 1280 and when I start up 3dmark I just get a black screen and I have to power down the pc to get it restarted. Is there anyway this works with 2560x1440 res. dual link dvi

I fixed the issue with 3d mark not being able to work.
My score with a single card was 11035 is this good?
With the afterburner settings on Core voltage +50 I don't even know if it works or not
Core clock +100 Power limit +200 mem clock +100 Fan 95%
Anything above core clock 100 and 3dmark fails quickly resulting in a cold shut down.

Default clock on this card is 1111 so with an added 100 it comes to a total of 1211
I can't pass that no matter what I try. This is on x58 chipset with 990x
Gpu z version 0.6.3 shows the wrong clocks and so does 3dmark at the end of the benchmark
it says my core clock was 705 LOL mem clock seems ok at 3104mhz
using latest nvidia beta drivers

On Heaven benchmark I only get 2400 with tessellation disabled and a 4x anti on.

This week I get the 680 gtx evega classified, but I still need to buy the evbot from the evaga store.

I hope when this afterburner 3.0 gets released it does some good work with the voltages otherwise this card is definitely not worth the money.

+100 on every lightning card is 1302 MHz, not sure what you're talking about. All lightning cards set to LN2 BIOS (BIOS2) will boost to 1302, make sure your card is set to LN2 bios.

Default clock on this card is 1111 so with an added 100 it comes to a total of 1211
I can't pass that no matter what I try. This is on x58 chipset with 990x
Gpu z version 0.6.3 shows the wrong clocks and so does 3dmark at the end of the benchmark
it says my core clock was 705 LOL mem clock seems ok at 3104mhz
using latest nvidia beta drivers

The first question is, do you understand the difference between standard and boost clocks? +100 is not 1211 on the lightning, it is around 1300.

Did you just start benchmarking yesterday? As far as 705 core... Its called 2d clocks dumbass...how long have you been doing this ;) (not long apparently).. Anyway, your entire story is suspect. The MSI lightning on BIOS1 boosts to at least 1176 so +100 is always 1276 or higher. On BIOS2 every lightning is 1202 boost so +100 is 1302mhz. +100 will be more than 1211mhz no matter what. Although i'm not even sure that you understand the difference between stock clocks and boosts, +100 will always be close to 1300mhz on the lightning - both BIOS are set to boost to 1176 mhz minimum so if you're saying that +100 is 1211 you're either making up stories or don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Take a look the numbers you mention on boost clock dont show up nor does the gpu clocks

gpuzx.gif

The card is on the LN2 Bios.
MSI afterburner core voltage at +50
Power Limit 200
Core clock +100
Mem clock +100

Last edited:
GPU-Z doesn't tell you the proper boost clock with the Lightning LN2 BIOS. Look at the GPU clock monitor within afterburner, NOT GPUZ. +100 OFFSET ON THE LIGHTNING, is 1302 mhz. You're using a static display of boost when the graphics load isn't at 100%.

Its pretty simple when you look at the afterburner monitor with GPU clockspeeds, 1202 is the base boost, +100 makes it 1302. Every single lightning on LN2 BIOS is 1202 boost STOCK. +100 makes it 1302, excuse me for being a broken record. Or perhaps you can use the heaven DX11 benchmark and look at the afterburner OSD which tells you 1302mhz when you're at +100.

Last edited:
Yup your right just ran the heaven bench and checked with the msi monitor graph afterwards and the graph showed 1302 mhz. Thanks for the tip

xoleras is right, LN2 bios has a default base + boost clock of 1202Mhz, standard bios is usually around 1229, give or take depending on your silicon.

xoleras is right, LN2 bios has a default base + boost clock of 1202Mhz, standard bios is usually around 1229, give or take depending on your silicon.

my silicon is quite poor and only boosts to 1179 on bios 1.

my silicon is quite poor and only boosts to 1179 on bios 1.

bios one actually is supposed to boost to 1179, ln2 boosts to 1202. the above poster either had a typo or is misinformed. judge your chip by what you can get it to clock at.

bios one actually is supposed to boost to 1179, ln2 boosts to 1202. the above poster either had a typo or is misinformed. judge your chip by what you can get it to clock at.

My Lightning boosts to 1227 on standard bios by default, but I assume that is like any other GTX680, as they all differ from card to card.

Yep, BIOS1 differs from card to card but should be within 50mhz...BIOS 2 is always 1202 stock....

Would anyone with the lightning mind uploading their LN2 bios?

It actually wont allow you to via gpu-z from what Ive tried. Other users may have better luck than me.

Just another case of manufactures putting locks on products :(

It actually wont allow you to via gpu-z from what Ive tried. Other users may have better luck than me.

Just another case of manufactures putting locks on products :(

GPUz isn't a great way of doing it anyway. Use nvflash!

running on the normal bios and adding 100mv has allowed me to reach 1340 also adding 50mv to the ram allowed me to run up at 7000mhz. I just don't like the way the LN2 bios acts funky some times.

Greetings, my lightning at bios 1 boost at 1228, i wonder if it is a good or a bad sign.

Last edited:
Back