MSI Lightning 290x

Psistorm

n00b
Hey everyone! I will be getting two of the MSI Lightning 290x's as soon as they come out (I'm guessing late January/early February) and I wanted your guys opinion on something. I'll be using 3x 144hz Asus VG248QE's in portrait running Lightboost (3340x1920 resolution, roughly 1.6 million pixels less than 4K). My question is, would it be worth it to go with tri-CFX 290x's vs just two of them? I'm pretty sure I would have to swap out my motherboard if I was to go with tri-CFX, to avoid them being stacked on top of each other. I'm very excited to see how these things perform, and I can't wait to see how much graphics have advanced in the past few years. This is coming from someone who's been using a single core computer with an 8800GTX for the past ten years. Just curious as to how much of a difference that third card would make and if it's worth it in the long run, as budget is a concern - but if it will make that difference of having much smoother gameplay on games such as Crysis 3 and such, I will definitely get the third one as well. I'd like to be able to push close to 120 fps to match lightboost 120hz. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Buy two.. then see how games run, if you need more power then buy a third and the motherboard to support it.

Good question and I don't have 3 290x to help you out but I think the drivers may be a factor on performance by the time you get your cards.

I think you would have just as much luck going with 3 reference 290X's and water cooling them. The lightning series usually perform best when pushing them under liquid nitrogen cooling.

Buy two.. then see how games run, if you need more power then buy a third and the motherboard to support it.

Ah, this is what I was planning on doing. Thank you.

Good question and I don't have 3 290x to help you out but I think the drivers may be a factor on performance by the time you get your cards.

I think you would have just as much luck going with 3 reference 290X's and water cooling them. The lightning series usually perform best when pushing them under liquid nitrogen cooling.

Interesting. Only thing is, I have no plans of water cooling them. I appreciate the input though.

Ah, this is what I was planning on doing. Thank you.

Interesting. Only thing is, I have no plans of water cooling them. I appreciate the input though.

If you are not going to water cool them then I think you would be better off getting 3x Sapphire OC 290x edition 290xs for less money.

The MSI Lighting really are an extreme liquid nitrogen benchmark winning item.

Back