msi gtx 570 V222 shenanigans

BadmAu5

Weaksauce
Ok so today ive ordered Msi Gtx 570 from us.NClX which as i thought was fully reference nvidia model. Now I got an email from them saying that the card has been shipped, in the same email they are providing me with card's serial number wich contains V222 . I have found some disturbing reports that V222 means this card comes with gtx 470 pcb/cooler which means worse/louder cooling.

My question is: are all V222s come on gtx 470 pcb? does anyone have one? at this point i am feeling kinda screwed and thinking about rejecting the package. :mad:

yep, I have been telling people for months to avoid the MSI gtx570. I cant believe Nvidia even allowed them to do that because I thought their stand was that coolers can not be worse than reference. well the gtx470 cooler is certainly worse than gtx570 reference and its the vapor chamber cooler that helped it set apart from the noisy hot running gtx470. its certainly a really shitty move on MSI's part and I would get another brand.

yes, it's kinda like when they were selling "reference" 6970's without backplates and dual bioses, i am really disappoint with msi, i really dont know if i should open the box to see what kind of 570 i am getting or to simply reject the parcel. If this card has gtx 470 cooler i am not buying anything from msi again.

there were reports of gtx 570's with gtx 480 coolers as well. Does anyone know if those cards also come with s/n starting with v222 ? or they have different serials? gtx 480 cooler wouldnt be as bad as gtx 470 one.

I dont understand why they kept same p/n? there is absolutely no way to know what ure buying if picture and p/n matches reference cards.

or just buy an aftermarket heatsink and call it a day..

Which means to spend another $50-70, Naah if i wanted to spend that much i'd get a gtx 580. I wrote on msi forum about the issue, hopefully they'll help to solve it. Otherwise i'll just return it and stick to evga.

Which means to spend another $50-70, Naah if i wanted to spend that much i'd get a gtx 580. I wrote on msi forum about the issue, hopefully they'll help to solve it. Otherwise i'll just return it and stick to evga.
Galaxy has the reference card for 260 when its in stock. I have a Galaxy with their own cooler and was lucky enough to snag it for 260 bucks too. its really hard to get a good deal on most the gtx570 cards.

is that the Twin Frozr model that you're talking about?

if not, then i never seen a MSI 570 card that doesnt have a Twin Frozr cooler.

thanks for the link.

looks like newegg didnt like em that much either:

Deactivated. This item is currently out of stock and it may or may not be restocked
maybe its cheaper for MSI to use thier own coolers then to fool with the real reference gtx570 cooler. and then they probably just cleaned out the rest of the old gtx470 coolers by sticking them on the gtx570.

I bought one from Newegg a couple of months back, it came in the same box as my reference GTX570 and under the same model number. That bastard was loud. I returned that quick.

newegg just had an open box msi twin frozr III 570 for $260, i was able to put in my shopping card, 5min later it was gone.

maybe its cheaper for MSI to use thier own coolers then to fool with the real reference gtx570 cooler. and then they probably just cleaned out the rest of the old gtx470 coolers by sticking them on the gtx570.

Its not just the cooler, its the whole pcb. The card is also much shorter.

The card on the pic at Newegg is a reference GTX570 and not the revision that they have been selling.

New GTX570 revision 009702.jpg

New GTX570 revision 012.jpg

weird570007.jpg

GTX570backside.png

newegg just had an open box msi twin frozr III 570 for $260, i was able to put in my shopping card, 5min later it was gone.

newegg open box cards sell like hot cakes. I was able to snag my asus reference 6950 few months ago. Next minute it was OOS.

BTW the one i've ordered is this:

http://us..com/products/index.php?usaffiliateid=1000031501&sku=57383&promoid=1339

U simply cant know what u're buying.

Edit: cant post the NClX link cause it deletes word NClX from it every time I type/paste it. Looks like this word has been censored lol

Last edited:
so the cheap bastards were just sticking new gf110 gpus on the old gf100 boards. that's pretty darn crappy of them.

I agree, that is a pretty shitty move. The fact that they never even updated the model number is the sketchy part. I won't be looking at MSI for my next video card.

I agree, that is a pretty shitty move. The fact that they never even updated the model number is the sketchy part. I won't be looking at MSI for my next video card.

they do make nice TwinFrozr cards though, their 3gig 580 model is in my opinion the best gtx580 out there,

I like reference cards, you just know that drivers are written with these cards in mind. How often do you see fixes listed for a specific card in the release notes?

I like reference cards, you just know that drivers are written with these cards in mind. How often do you see fixes listed for a specific card in the release notes?
the gpus themselves are the same and the driver is for the gpu not the pcb or cooler though.

the gpus themselves are the same and the driver is for the gpu not the pcb or cooler though.

The bios is not the same and that can make all of the difference. Like I said its not uncommon to see fixes for specific models in driver release notes while similar models are unaffected. Its just my opinion.

Back