MSI Gaming series ITX components announced

platypus_

n00b
1461431_655490597806107_824163906_n.jpg

What do you guys make of it? I'm planning on using the GPU and possibly the motherboard for an ITX gaming build soon, still deciding on a case.

From the pic it should be approx 122mm high and 173mm long. Just inside Half length, full height PCI spec.. PERFECT.
Exactly what I need :D

Last edited:
why is the box for the gpu twice as big as for the mITX motherboard LOL?
Because small boxes are for puny cards, or so the marketing department believes the a-technical customers make the choice in the store.

I wish they'd just announce this already! I need to know what board I'm going with so I can get matching RAM before DDR3 stock starts drying up. A lot of the cool red modules are already starting to disappear as stock isn't being back-filled.

Don't forget mITX has been ignored by many reviewers, because many "computer enthusiasts" still believe an ATX motherboard is the only way to fly. Many still associate mITX with being featureless and useless (OMG no SLI/CF) and think you need atleast a full tower to be called a power user.

It's always easy to spot those noobs.

Many still associate mITX with being featureless and useless (OMG no SLI/CF) and think you need atleast a full tower to be called a power user.

You know they are just trying to compensate for something. :p

Not really a PITA, just expensive.

Not even more expensive than a typical tower.
CPU costs the same.
RAM costs the same.
Single graphics card costs the same.
Drives cost the same.

ITX motherboards cost the same as ATX, or cheaper. Heck, my new ASRock Z87 ITX board sells for $140 regular price, and it can overclock as well as ATX plus has B/G/N/A/C WiFi, Bluetooth and even an mSATA port. Oh yeah, and I've heard it even has a 600Ohm amplifier circuit for headphone use with the integrated audio!

Case? $40 can get you an SG05-Lite, Elite 120, Elite 130. $100 can get you a Lian Li ITX case.

PSU? Some use ATX, so cost the same. Some use SFX, which max out at $100 for a modular 80Plus Gold, albeit 450W. So I guess SFX PSUs can cost a bit more.

Not really a PITA, just expensive.

Not only is false, its also the contrary. In a mITX system you cant put a lot of hardware which, in the end, means the build will be cheaper.

Big cpu cooling solutions? Won't fit.

More than 1x gpus. Won't fit.

A ton of drives. Won't fit.

You just CAN'T expend a lot of money onto a mITX project, except the money you pay for the case itself, which I don't count it since you can expend on it as much as you want (which is the same for ATX, afaik).

Not only is false, its also the contrary. In a mITX system you cant put a lot of hardware which, in the end, means the build will be cheaper.

Big cpu cooling solutions? Won't fit.

More than 1x gpus. Won't fit.

A ton of drives. Won't fit.

You just CAN'T expend a lot of money onto a mITX project, except the money you pay for the case itself, which I don't count it since you can expend on it as much as you want (which is the same for ATX, afaik).

I think it really depends.

When I built my first mini-ITX system it definitely cost more to build a simple ITX pc then to do the same with micro-ATX. There were very few ITX cases and mobos and aftermarket CPU coolers available and they were more expensive than the "standard" stuff available. slim optical drives and laptop hard drives were more expensive than standard 5.25 ODs and 3.5 HDs. Building a cool and quiet ITX system just took more planning and experimentation to achieve.

Things have dramatically improved for ITX the more people are starting to pay attention. You are absolutely correct though that you could potentially fit much more into a larger case so it would then obviously cost more money.

But if you look at most of our M! builds you could still probably save a few bucks if we went for the exact same level of performance in a larger form factor. I also believe that it requires a bit more planning and thoughtfulness to build a powerful, cool and quiet system in ITX than in the larger form factor.

I may be somewhat masochistic but I have to admit I really enjoy doing an ITX build and thinking about "how the hell am I going to fit this stuff in here" and "where the hell am I going to run these cables" and "thinking how on earth am I going to cool this dense blog of cables and components that I am stuffing in this tiny case". I definitely feel a bit more of a sense of accomplishment with the ITX builds I have done then the micro-ATX builds - but then again that could just be me. :)

MSI launches its MSI Z87I Gaming AC and GTX 760 Gaming ITX

http://www.msi.com/news-media/news/1631.html

supposedly the motherboard will be $200 and the graphics card $270.

edit: looks like the video card is not an exact clone of the asus directcu mini as i originally thought it would be. at least the fans are different, and the backplate.

curious just how well this "radax" fan on the msi performs vs. the one on asus. they both seem to be similar in concept

(msi)
radax-fan.png

(asus)
normal_ASUS_GF_GTX760_DC_Mini_OC_20.jpg

Last edited:
MSI launches its MSI Z87I Gaming AC and GTX 760 Gaming ITX

http://www.msi.com/news-media/news/1631.html

supposedly the motherboard will be $200 and the graphics card $270.

edit: looks like the video card is not an exact clone of the asus directcu mini as i originally thought it would be. at least the fans are different, and the backplate.

curious just how well this "radax" fan on the msi performs vs. the one on asus. they both seem to be similar in concept

Thanks for the link/pricing illli. I hope they release the mobo before my Ncase M1 arrives, this thing looks like it will fit the Apoggee Drive II pump/block a lot easier than the Asus Impact.

$220CAD at NCIX and $200USD at newegg.

For the motherboard or the card? :p For the card, nice price since that's what the cheapest GTX 760 are going for (a PNY on Newegg for $240 - $40 rebate). For the board, sure it is "competitive" with the other expensive boards on the market, but my ASRock Z87E-ITX board costs around $130 (after $10 rebate) and I don't see how the $200 boards are $70 better.

As per price comparison service "geizhals" the GTX 760 will start at ca. EUR 235.- in Germany (that's including VAT). So that's about 320 Freedom Dollars.

Back