MSI customer (dis)service

SEALTeamSix

2[H]4U
SEAL: Hi, The northbridge fan on my MSI Neo4 Platinum has become very loud and I fear it is failing. Can you please send me a replacement? Thanks!

MSI Tech: You can obtain a replacement MB Chipset Heatsink Fan for $8.00 to cover shipping and handling fee by FedEx Ground with this request forward to our accessory ordering team during our normal business hours (Mon-Fri 9:30AM - 4:30PM) (PST) which they can process the rest: [email protected] or You can also obtain warranty/RMA service for the system board: http://www.msicomputer.com/support/Customers.asp
---

This is a known design error with the fan - they changed the HSF design on the next revision of the board. MSI should replace the defective part for free, rather than charging me $8 to fix it.

Has anyone had luck getting MSI to replace a defective fan for free? If not, I guess I'll just have to vote with my dollars for my next purchase...

I got a replacement too, iirc I had to pay shipping. I still love MSI, they make a great board.

I think they are saying they will fix it for free if you rma the entire board.

I think they are saying they will fix it for free if you rma the entire board.

yah but is it really worth it to RMA the board just for the sake of a fan? it would cost more to ship the board back then to just pay shipping for the fan. anyway, should they give the replacement to you for free? probably. IIRC, Asus does/did that. don't know if they still do...

Ya know what I do if I have a chipset fan that goes out? I mount a decent size heatsink on the chipset.

Seems like if they want to make you pay for it, I would go with an aftermarket solution. After all, how do you know you won't get another fan with the same problem? I've had companies replace defective parts with more defective parts several times, and guess what? They fail just like the original.

Ya know what I do if I have a chipset fan that goes out? I mount a decent size heatsink on the chipset.

Normally this would be a great option - however, they lined the NB up with the PCIe x16 slot, so the graphics card prohibits this. The graphics card just barely clears the stock HSF as it is.

There are a few alternative, low-profile NB fans out there, but if I had wanted to spend more money on my mobo I would have bought a better board in the first place.

Back