MSI BIOS update gone horribly wrong

JosiahBradley

[H]ard|Gawd
So after fighting through some weird instability issues I decided to update my MSI Mpower Max Z97 BIOS. Forum post pointed to the BIOS being the culprit and I was 9 versions behind. After getting the update I ran the windows installer and closed all programs and waited. Ten minutes later the screen went black and the machine is still on appearing to idle for the last 30 minutes. Activity lights are flickering etc. I'm afraid to turn it off for fear of completely bricking the system. Am I too late? The post code LED is reporting the temperature like normal. ~28C so idling.

Why didn't you do it through the UEFI/BIOS? Luckily you have a dual-BIOS so flip the BIOS switch to the other one and it should (hopefully) boot. To fix the corrupt BIOS, flip to the other one just prior to updating. Do not use Windows.

Thanks for the help everyone. I had forgotten I had dual BIOS. I have to remove a GPU to get to the switch though. I've updated BIOS from windows for years now but never using win10, so maybe I should just stick to the USB method from now on.

After some trial and error I have managed to flash my BIOS and gotten back in action. Thanks everyone.

Back