MSI 970 Gaming 4g Resetting PC after game and stressing loads

Straypuft

Limp Gawd
My computer is having frequent reboots when games are finished loading and after showing the first few frames, even the same with Kombustor stress testing. And even once while the computer was idling.

The fans dont even have a chance at spinning up.

No BSOD or anything in event viewer.

This is after about 2 months of not playing any games or using any high graphics programs.

Cannot try an older video card or power supply due to not having any powerful spare ones around(have an old 450w power supply, but I doubt the 970 would even boot up with it)

Major change in the last 2 months are the installation of new memory and putting everything into a new case.

I can watch HD video just fine and even extend desktop to my tv to watch hd video on that just fine.

I plan on buying a new power supply, but that wont be possible for another 2 weeks, hopefully it can help me figure out whether its the video card dying or the power supply before RMA-ing either of them.

Any thoughts on what could be going on?

Do you ever have issues booting up? Hangs or very slow boot times? If so it could be the new RAM is not stable at the speed or voltage is is currently running.

Could be the PSU as well.

You could try booting up with only a single DIMM and see if you still have any issues.

I think I remember hearing that there was a manufacturing defect with the Corsair RM650. Something about the fan not spinning up when the load increased. I would check the intake fan on the power supply and make sure that it starts spinning under load. If the power supply is overheating it will shut off to prevent damage.

Do you ever have issues booting up? Hangs or very slow boot times? If so it could be the new RAM is not stable at the speed or voltage is is currently running.

Could be the PSU as well.

You could try booting up with only a single DIMM and see if you still have any issues.
no major problems other than usually after hardware change(unplugging or plugging something in) The computer will turn on for a few seconds, no boot screen, then shut off right away then restart a second or two later and then needing to sometimes set the time and date and boot order back to the way I want it to be, but this has been happening since before I got the power supply back in May, I do plan on replacing the motherboard before the end of the year.

I think I remember hearing that there was a manufacturing defect with the Corsair RM650. Something about the fan not spinning up when the load increased. I would check the intake fan on the power supply and make sure that it starts spinning under load. If the power supply is overheating it will shut off to prevent damage.
I dont know if it even has a chance to overheat as once the load starts, it reboots with no warning or error and I would assume that it would take more than a few seconds once load starts to heat up.

I recently had the same issue.

I could run my main pc all day, but as soon as I went to play a game it was like someone hit the power switch.....flat to off and the restarted.

My PSU was tripping. I had an AX 1200 that was just 5 years old.

Replacing the PSU was the answer. Of course I checked all my other components, but the PSU was defective.:(

Back