Ms. Pacman PC

achensherd

Limp Gawd
This year for Valentine's Day, I opted to build my girlfriend a computer, rather than the usual flowers, stuffed animals, and chocolates routine (though they may still be necessary). Her ancient Dell laptop has seen better days, now routinely experiencing what appear to be seizures every few seconds while doing anything, and running very, very, very slowly in general. So, I started gathering and purchasing parts for this grand project, which was to be my very first case mod/painting.

Now, I couldn't just build her a computer and give it to her in its black, silver, or duo-tone state for Valentine's Day (or any other day, really), so I had to spruce it up a bit aesthetically. The case in question is a Cooler Master Elite 340:

01.jpg

My girlfriend really likes Ms. Pacman, so it was obvious what the theme had to be. I was originally going for a Portal-themed case mod, and the mod itself was headed that way to begin with, but her general disinterest in the game (though to her credit, she tries to be interested for me) and how excited she is when she spots Ms. Pacman arcade machines made the choice clear. Again, this was my first case mod/painting, and being unskilled in any area involved with it, this was very much a crash course in all areas. I didn't take that many pictures during the painting process, but to be honest...

02.jpg

...there's really nothing...

03.jpg

...to see.

That's Goo-Gone in the bucket in the first picture by the way, not what it might look like. And yes, I now know Goo-Gone does little or nothing to paint. Paint thinner was used in the second picture (not the whole bucket).

After many trials and multiple train wrecks' worth of errors, I managed to paint the majority of the case externals:

04.jpg

Most of the paints used were Krylons, and the Ms. Pacman picture on the mesh was hand-painted on with acrylic paint. Everything was then clear-coated for a bit more durability. As for the front panel, which you may notice is missing in this picture, it's in the bucket in the second picture up as a result of finding out that water/latex-based spray paints don't seem to like primer all too much.

Some trial-fittings, sans the complete front panel:

05.jpg
06.jpg

And finally, without further ado, Ms. Pacman PC:

07.jpg
08.jpg

09.jpg

Parts used:
Case: Cooler Master Elite 340
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+
MB: Abit NF-M2S AM2 mATX
RAM: Team Elite 2x512MB DDR2 800
VID: XFX Nvidia Geforce 8400GS
HDD: ExcelStor 80GB SATA
OPT: Sony DVD-RW
PSU: Allied 350W

(the fan controller is a Sunbeam Rheobus, with the blindingly-bright blue/red LEDs switched out with dimmer green/red ones)

Thanks! I don't know if she'll like it yet -- we're celebrating Valentine's Day later today (she had classes yesterday). My present dilemma is finding her a monitor, due to my rather meager budget at the moment. She originally wanted me to hook it up to her TV, but it only has composite connections, and even if I could find a VGA-to-composite adapter, I don't think I'd want to resort to that. She won't be able to read anything. :p

That's slick dude! I think she'll love it! I really dig it myself!

I wish my wife were even remotely interested in the games I play. The most interested she gets is with CoD4, and asks me questions like "Are you done yet?" or "How long are you going to be playing for?" (due to contrary belief, its not for "that" reason that she asks me those questions.) :D

I'll post with results when I get them. :D

I can generally get my girlfriend to play any game with me. So far, I've tried to get her to play Guild Wars, SiN Episodes, UT3, and Portal, with varying results. The thing is that while she acts (or attempts to act) interested, it's only a matter of time before she looks at me and says, in a lolcat kind of way, "I tiiire." On the other hand, she used to run through quarters like crazy at the laundromat, where they kept a Ms. Pacman arcade machine. I eventually got her one of those Namco joystick consoles with the five arcade games, which weened her off her quarter-spending habits a bit. :p

This was a triumph. I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS!:

10.jpg

First order of business:

11.jpg
12.jpg

She approves!

13.jpg

:D

This was a pretty good learning experience for me, with just the right motivation and logistics for a decent first foray into one area of case modding (painting). Out of this experience, I learned:

1. Too thick a coat of paint results in crinkles/curdles/coagulation.
2. Acrylic paint does not like spray paint... or at least Krylons.
3. Paint thinner is scarily effective, even when diluted in water.
4. Krylon H20 doesn't like primer (might be an isolated incident).
5. I need a work area and/or equipment. Working outside and dealing with temperamental breezes while spray painting was such a pain. A mask and some goggles would also go a long way.

Something else I learned: Circuit City has some pretty nice clearance deals. I might not need to drive 2 to 3 cities over to Fry's as much anymore. :p

Back