MRTG graphs flatline

oakfan52

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a cisco 2514 that i am trying to pull stats off of using smnp & mrtg on a debian box. I setup the public and private string on the cisco box. I installed mrtg and my config file is located below:

# Global configuration
WorkDir: /var/www/mrtg
WriteExpires: Yes

Target[192.168.0.200.cpuload]: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.58.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.58.0:[email protected]
MaxBytes[192.168.0.200.cpuload]: 1000000000
Title[192.168.0.200.cpuload]: Bitch-ass Cisco - CPU (costco.layernine.com)
PageTop[192.168.0.200.cpuload]: <H1>CPU Analysis for this BITCH-ASS Cisco

it runs with no errors and the uptime is displayed but no data is displayed and the graphs stay at zero.

http://www.layernine.com/mrtg/192.168.0.200.cpuload.html (if you wanna look at the graphs.

Anyone know what i am missing here? :(

It's been a while since I've played with any MRTG config, but I do remember that setting the wrong type of graph can cause this.

Also, have you manually walked that particular OID just to make sure it's actually returning the usage data you're trying to plot?

Originally posted by skritch
It's been a while since I've played with any MRTG config, but I do remember that setting the wrong type of graph can cause this.

Also, have you manually walked that particular OID just to make sure it's actually returning the usage data you're trying to plot?

Excuse my newbeness when it comes to SNMP. how do i do this? and what types of graphs are there. i have searched newgroups and such but i don't think snmp is something i can get overnight. so for now i'm trying to owkr the problems as the come =\

Originally posted by oakfan52
Excuse my newbeness when it comes to SNMP. how do i do this? and what types of graphs are there. i have searched newgroups and such but i don't think snmp is something i can get overnight. so for now i'm trying to owkr the problems as the come =\

All of the graph types are defined in the MRTG documentation. Sorry, but I don't remember them offhand. There's also an MRTG FAQ, and googling for "MRTG FAQ" should turn it up. If I remember correctly, problems of this type are covered in there.

Originally posted by skritch

I doubt this is a complete solution, but it's a step in the right direction.

For monitoring cpu load, you will want to use a "guage" instead of a counter.

Counter, i believe, is default. It will measure changes from previous values. This would be good for things like traffic graphing and stuff.

A guage will measure and report raw values, which I would think would be more appropriae for things like CPU usage, memory usage, etc.

You might want to add:
Options[192.168.0.200.cpuload]: guage
to tell it to graph using guages and not counters. But then again, I'm just learning SNMP myself so no guarantee.

Originally posted by Nybbles

to tell it to graph using guages and not counters.

...except that one config line should say "gauge". Programs are picky about typos, and not all of them give meaningful errors when fed garbage. :)

Thanks for the refresher on the graph types. That was exactly what I was thinking of when I suggested that.

Ok updated graph type to "gauge". still no data in graphs =\

It may take a little bit before there's any data reflected in the graphs. How often is it polling for data? It could take 3-5 times that period before the graph displays anything. Sometimes up to 10x that period.

it is set to five minutes. put i am polling it maunually by running the app.

it is set to five minutes. put i am polling it maunually by running the app.

So it may be 20-30 minutes before there's enough data collected to see anything on the graph. Particularly if it's a 24-hour graph.

add this to the top of your config.

RunAsDaemon: yes
Interval: 5

also, check taskmanager to make sure wperl.exe is still running after you run your batch file.

Back