Mr 95 is back for now......

Bradmax57

Limp Gawd
my old beast is back until the 9800se is replaced or binned whatever the case me be?

9500.JPG

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7450855

LOL yes but cheaper than tweakmonsters and theyhelp get upto 325mhz on crappy old infineon 3.6ns so not too shabby? will post soon

Pretty neat setup there. I'd be scared to death of the memory frying since parts of the chips aren't covered though.

Originally posted by Bradmax57
LOL yes but cheaper than tweakmonsters and theyhelp get upto 325mhz on crappy old infineon 3.6ns so not too shabby? will post soon

325 on infineon 3.6? wow :eek:

Originally posted by Nazo
Pretty neat setup there. I'd be scared to death of the memory frying since parts of the chips aren't covered though.

Its an old card and instead of speding £25 on the tweakmonsters I spent £5 on the coolermasters, but there is no artifacting at all.

Just done 03 and score 5.6K but it wouldnt allow me to post as I had the non patched version so am doing it now. Core is almost at 9800 speeds :eek:

The thing is that with some of the memory chips covered, and some not, overclocking is very dangerous as some parts might be cooled well, some might get incredibly hot.

and 5.6k is incredible with that card nice job :)

Just done 03 and score 5.6K but it wouldnt allow me to post as I had the non patched version so am doing it now. Core is almost at 9800 speeds :eek:

DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Darn you!!!! Arg...

*sigh* I have got to get some stuff to cool this thing better. Especially that ram. I still would be afraid though with your setup. I'd not dare run the ram much faster than I originally overclocked to and really just depend on that to help stability. Of course, that GPU is probably so well cooled that it's not a surprise you get it up so far.

It did occur to me it might not hurt to put just a tad bit of thermal compound on the exposed parts touching the heatsinks. I know it wouldn't help much, but maybe it would help transfer heat from those parts of the chip to the heatsink a bit. I can't imagine it would hurt anyway.

Im not so sure I think itll just be drawing the heat away in general, sure maybe they will be a bit hotter at the edges than the centre but if the heat is moving away quicker from there then maybe the heat from the edges moves to the centre?? I dunno seems nice and stable at moment, couldnt post as my net connection went down for a minute whilst trying to post o3 score of 5642, saved the score as file but cant seem to do anything with it??? anbody know

btw compared to samsung chips on the 9800se they like ice! used to run the chips at 312 without any cooling anyway

Originally posted by Killa|3yte
5600 is where my 9800NP topped out with the stock OC. it hits 6500 with vmods 'n stuff

wanna show me how? i dont care about killing the car, well i do but im not afraid to take a risk!:D

Hey Ive read that before congrats! I actually had another 9500np before this one which I sold when I got my now dead 9800se and that had infinion 3.0ns ram it also that would do around 330

Actually, according to the person who does these mods, 9800XTs are the worst cards for OCing he's seen.

If you want one of his custom volt mods and extreme cooling. Get a 9800PRO, probably get higher or the same speeds as a XT that he mods, just at half the price.

Originally posted by Killa|3yte
The thing is that with some of the memory chips covered, and some not, overclocking is very dangerous as some parts might be cooled well, some might get incredibly hot.
it won't get "incredibly hot" until you start voltmodding...on stock voltage, ANY cooling at all is better than just bare RAM. The heat should flow pretty well from the uncovered parts to the sink and radiate to the surrounding air. I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless like I said he starts voltmodding.

So you think it's not a risk at damaging the ram that way?

One of these days I have to find a budget solution to my ram ocing needs.

didnt actually see how to do the volt mod? but they look kinda funky :cool:

you can buy his 'kits' that have full documentation on how to do the mods from start to finish. color illustrations too :cool:

So you think it's not a risk at damaging the ram that way?

One of these days I have to find a budget solution to my ram ocing needs.
nope. Actually, my RAM is cooled somewhat similarly on my 8500...Friend had these really long heatsinks, so I used them to span each pair of RAM chips. Each RAM chip is half-covered.

Thanks. BTW, speaking of kits, I'm thinking about one of those iceberq kits or something similar, but almost all such kits come with only 4 heatsinks for the memory. I haven't actually seen a card with only 4 chips in a while to tell the truth, but they seem to just assume everyone has only that. So if I don't find a decent kit with 8 for an affordable price, I'll probably have to buy another 4 seperate (I just don't really have the tools to cut a heatsink without cutting myself more.) So, my question is that if one set of heatsinks is considerably different from the other, how can I safely identify exactly what sort of clock speed to use? I mean, the upper memory addresses would be in seperate chips, right? Anyway, I admit I don't know much about it, especially with video cards, but it occured to me that if the chips used first had better cooling than the ones used later, the initial tests would imply I could set a higher clock rate than I safely could when setting some general purpose rate for games that use more memory as well as those that don't.

Any thoughts on this?

So, my question is that if one set of heatsinks is considerably different from the other, how can I safely identify exactly what sort of clock speed to use? I mean, the upper memory addresses would be in seperate chips, right? Anyway, I admit I don't know much about it, especially with video cards, but it occured to me that if the chips used first had better cooling than the ones used later, the initial tests would imply I could set a higher clock rate than I safely could when setting some general purpose rate for games that use more memory as well as those that don't.
dude, they're HEATSINKS. You don't have to make sure they're cross-compatible. So one set of chips are slightly hotter than the others...not a big deal.

Yourgraphics card will start out using only the upper RAM chips, then switch to the lower ones after you play games. RAM is pretty evenly used, it just gets used more intensively once you start gaming.

Just run ATItuner or something, find a good overclock, and then scan for artifacts for a half hour or so while running prime95 to make sure you don't get errors, even when your system is nice and toasty.

And of course you know the trick of having a fan blowing over your RAM sinks...

Originally posted by f00t
:eek: no volt mods on the 3.6ns chips. thats beyond insane.

Guess I got lucky eh? this is my second 9500np both did 325 on mem easily, both were made by connect 3d one had 3.0ns and this one the 3.6ns both by infinion, this one is now 13months old and still going strong :)

Back