MP3 recording software

lukeh182

Gawd
where can i find some software that will record directly to MP3 format? i'd like to stay as cheap as possible. i don't want to keep transfering from wav to mp3 all the time.

I'm not sure if thats possible, wav is an uncompressed format where as mp3 is compressed.

I could be wrong but uhhh...i dont think i am ;-)

What are you recording from?

I use Musicmatch at work for taking voice recordings with a mic. But I paid for the upgrade a long time ago, I don't know if their freebe can do that or not.

it's for a church service. everything is recorded to the HD and we keep a year's worth of services and that takes up a lot of space when it's in wav, maybe i should just throw in a 120Gb HD unless i can get some software.

so you can record directly to mp3 with musicmatch??

I was under the impression that MP3's use fourier transform or something of the sort which means that any given point of data is represented as a function of data both before and after that point in a time sequence.

This means that whilst encoding chunks is fine- encoding in real time is more or less impossible. Of course, all that's required is a little fancy buffering... just it's effort that may or may not have ever been made. Good luck.

Originally posted by lukeh182
it's for a church service. everything is recorded to the HD and we keep a year's worth of services and that takes up a lot of space when it's in wav, maybe i should just throw in a 120Gb HD unless i can get some software.

so you can record directly to mp3 with musicmatch??

Why not record the services/masses/whatevers in Wav, then off-hours (whenever the machine is going to be idle) schedule some jobs to encode the audio into Mp3, and remove the wav file?

Originally posted by KaosDG
Why not record the services/masses/whatevers in Wav, then off-hours (whenever the machine is going to be idle) schedule some jobs to encode the audio into Mp3, and remove the wav file?

that is what i do now, but it is just time consuming and i don't put the date in the file name so when you convert the file from wav to mp3 you don't get the actual date of the recording. i could just put the date in the file name but i would rather have a program that just records in mp3. just plain simpler:p

Back