MP3 Doctor

Sirje31337

Limp Gawd
I have 10k+ MP3s with the majority of them being 320kbps. I would like to cut them all down to 192 not only to save hard drive space but so that I can store more on my iPod.

I bought ALT MP3 Converter, but this program kept crashing. So I emailed them about it and they told me I might have some bad MP3s and to try MP3 Doctor because it repairs bad MP3s. So I bought that as well. Now MP3 Doctor crashes after about 200 conversions. I emailed them about it as well 2 days ago and they have yet to respond.

Has anyone ever used either of these and had similar problems?

You might be overzealous. It's a lot of mp3s, especially for any program to handle, and you want to do it all at once. If the programs crash after 200 files, then perhaps you have to do it 200 files at a time. I know. That's fifty sessions for 10,000 mp3s.

You could try dbPowerAmp. Make sure you download any needed codecs.

If all fails, you could try TuneBite. It records instead of converts, so it could take many days/nights, but if you have a good sound card or good onboard sound processing, it may be able to record at 4x the speed.

I'll try to think of some other good programs.

Just a thought.

You might want to check on how these programs reencode mp3s. Do they convert the mp3s back to wav files and then encode the wav files to mp3s? Or, do they do it a better way if possible?

orginal.wav to good192.mp3
orginal.wav to good320.mp3 to crappy.wav to crappy192.mp3

I would think that a 192Kbs mp3 that was rencoded from another mp3 will sound crappier than a 192Kbs mp3 that was encoded from the original wav file. But, I guess that depends on the tool.

In short, some of the reencoded mp3s might sound like crap. You might want to reencode copies of your 320s in small batches and listen to them first to see if they sound good enough.

To be honest, I would just buy more storage...and a larger iPod. Keep with the quality. But for future rips, APS ftw.

Well I have the 30GB video iPod...can't get much bigger unless I go old school. But as far as on my PC, i'm a bit of a perfectionist and like things to be uniform.

I guess I could just get over it and stick the big ass MP3s. :(

Sirje31337 said:
Well I have the 30GB video iPod...can't get much bigger unless I go old school. But as far as on my PC, i'm a bit of a perfectionist and like things to be uniform.

Thats what I would do.

Sirje31337 said:
At least you aren't losing sound quality. Just get another iPod :p.

Dual iPods modded into one? It's a new project for you. Maybe you can put in a nice little splitter switch, 'eh?

Well, you could probably still find a 60gig video...or the new 80gig video. Not really old-school with the better battery life and whatnot.

But definitely keep with the quality for the mp3's. For me, the space I would save does not make up for how irritated I would be by the lossy quality.

Back