Moving RedHat 5.5 Install

WhoBeDaPlaya

2[H]4U
Have an existing Redhat 5.5 install on a 975P C2D w/Quadro FX1500. Cloned the disk to a freshly zero-filled one using Clonezilla and it booted right up on an X58 i7 920 w/8400GS.

However, when trying to do the same thing on a Z77 3570K w/ the same 8400GS, the X-server falls flat on its face (I get NV : No supported devices, no displays found). Any idea what would cause this?

<-- *nix n00b. Apologies in advance :)

This is partly why I never try to move installations, too much funkiness. It looks to me to be driver wonkiness; you can try reinstalling the nvidia driver, see if that resolves it.

In this case I don't have much of a choice. Work provided a crappy 'puter (C2D E6600, 2GB).
I'm cloning the RH5.5 install to run on my own hardware on the qt. Worked well with the i7 920 (and gave a helluva speedup),
but I'm greedy and would like to see what the 3570K can do :)

No idea. I actually tried running with the iGPU - of course it failed, but it might have funkied up the X-server config.
I figure what I'd do is wipe the drive, restore again to a clean base config, disable iGPU and see what happens.

Would really like this to work, since I don't really need the extra CPU power at home (although QuickSync is sexy) and could really use the extra ~1GHz (assuming a 4.6GHz Ivy ~= 5GHz Nehalem).
Otherwise, I'd get an unplanned upgrade to the home system (3570K w/ Z77X-D3H, which I can't return to Microcenter), unless one of you fine folks wants to buy it :p

Can you post your Xorg.conf and the part of the Xorg.*.log file that has (EE) errors?

No worries. Got it working. Restoring a "fresh" copy of image took care of the X-server oddities. Thanks for everyone's help! :)

Back