MOVED: bios rom checksum error

Erganomulos

Limp Gawd
Merry Christmas HardForum!

I was playing some WoW last night when my computer crashed... I checked the temp of the vid card and cpu and they were cool as cucumbers. I restarted the comp and got a "bios rom checksum error"... yay

I have an evga 790i FTW mobo with Award Bios

I found a floppy drive and a ps2 keyboard lying around (I knew I'd need them again) so that's all set and it's asking for a boot disk... for whatever reason, I never put the CD as first bootable drive and here's where I'm having issues:

My wife has a mac without a floppy drive... we life in Japan thanks to the USAF and no one I know has a floppy drive and there are none on base to speak of... I have the boot file ready but I have no way of putting it on the disk...

Someone said there is a key or keys I can press while starting the comp that will force the CD drive to boot... is there any truth to this? If not, wtf am I to do?

Cheers

Create a bootable floppy disk

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=122

FLOPPY Installation - Recommended installation method
Download the following executable: E179_SZ17.exe
Insert blank floppy disk into drive and run executable
Restart machine, and set floppy as the primary boot device
Press "Y" to program BIOS
After flash, power off PC completely, on reboot load defaults in BIOS

Create a bootable floppy disk

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=122

FLOPPY Installation - Recommended installation method
Download the following executable: E179_SZ17.exe
Insert blank floppy disk into drive and run executable
Restart machine, and set floppy as the primary boot device
Press "Y" to program BIOS
After flash, power off PC completely, on reboot load defaults in BIOS

I appreciate the help and all, but my post clearly states that, although I have hooked up a floppy drive to my computer, I have no way of creating a bootable floppy... it's all in my post above. I know about making a boot disk, really.

My question, which I will reiterate because I guess it wasn't clear, is "Is there a way to force a CD-ROM boot without changing the bios?" I can't get into the bios and I have no way of creating a bootable floppy disk because no one I know has a floppy disk drive and I cant get past this error to get to windows and make one.

If there is any more confusion after this second explanation, I really don't know what else to say. :D

I bet your BIOS is just fine and that your memory is the cause of the checksum error, especially since it crashed while running.

I found another guy in my squad who actually has a floppy drive I can use so I will try it i the morning and report back

ok, so I got the boot disk made using the eVGA E179_SZ17.exe utility, yay.

I powered n the computer, it asked for the disk, put it in, hit enter, now it's just hanging at "Automatic load AWDFLASH.exe...._" Now it's been there for 30mins, nothing is doing anything.

I made sure I selected the right mobo and d/led th right bios program and everthing went well creating the floppy.

Now what?

What command line options are set in the autoexec.bat when executing the awdflash.exe? chkdsk the floppy for errors.

What command line options are set in the autoexec.bat when executing the awdflash.exe? chkdsk the floppy for errors.

Mega666, I'm not leaving anything out when I make my posts... when I say "it's hanging at Automatic load AWDFLASH.exe...._" I really mean it. I think that if my computer was doing anything else, I'd write it down here... why would I leave anything out?

This is a mystery to me and i know it sounds weird, but I'm not leaving anything out

Back