Move MacOSX from one Mac to a slightly newer Mac?

Dangman

Ninja Editor SuperMod
Hello

Let me start by saying that I don't know that much about Macs in general. I probably know more about Android then I do Macs. Hence what I'm assuming is a relatively newbie question:

A friend of mine has an older iMac 17" Intel with a Core Duo 1.83Ghz CPU, a 500GB HDD, and running MacOSX 10.4.11.There are vertical lines on the screen which tells me that the screen needs to be replaced. However it looks like a replacement screen is $170+ off eBay.

So I looked up how much a replacement iMac would cost and it looks like a slighter newer iMac 17" with a C2D 1.83Ghz CPU, 160GB HDD, and running MacOSX 10.6 would cost around $170 to $200 shipped. So....

Which now leads me to my question: Could I move the HDD with the older MacOSX 10.4 over to the newer iMac 17" and just use 10.4 on that newer iMac? Is that against Apple's EULA?

you can just move the HDD over to the newer Mac and it will work fine. But you can also transfer all of your personal data over to the newer Mac's hard drive. When you start up the new Mac it will ask you when you turn it on if you'd like to migrate user data over from another computer. If it's already past the setup screen you can just run migration assistant.

If you'd like to see what migration assistant looks like then click <command> + <spacebar> and type migration assistant into the search bar at the top.

you can just move the HDD over to the newer Mac and it will work fine.

Cool.
But you can also transfer all of your personal data over to the newer Mac's hard drive. When you start up the new Mac it will ask you when you turn it on if you'd like to migrate user data over from another computer. If it's already past the setup screen you can just run migration assistant.

If you'd like to see what migration assistant looks like then click <command> + <spacebar> and type migration assistant into the search bar at the top.
I would try that but the older Mac has the larger hard drive (500GB) whereas the newer iMac has a smaller drive (160GB). Hence why I want to move the HDD itself rather than the files.

it won't just copy the entire hard drive contents over to the newer (smaller) drive. migration assistant will just copy all of the personal data. You can choose...things like apps, settings, and user folders, some of it, or all of it.

I think you can use both drives on those older iMacs but you'll have to make sure the drives have the same interface. they may not be compatible

If you want to copy whole drives and have them remain bootable I would recommend Carbon Copy Cloaner.

http://www.bombich.com

I think even the earliest flat screen iMacs used SATA drives so there is little to worry about there.

whatever you decide you really benefit from 10.6 over 10.4

You can't move an HDD running 10.4.X to any modern Mac since 10.4 only supported the very first generation of Intel-based Macs. You'll have to upgrade the OS if you move the HDD to any model of Mac newer than the existing one.

Once the version of OS X running on the HDD is compatible with the Mac you want to move the disk to, then yes, you can simply move the HDD and have it work.

Isn't it still $20 to upgrade the OS, even from 10.4?

If that's the case, I don't know if I'd let $20 stop me.

Thanks guys. That will probably be the route we go with.

Also, did not know you could buy older MacOSX for a relatively low price like that.

1) Old iMac >> Migration Assistant >> New iMac

2) New iMac (with user data/apps) >> CCC >> Old iMac drive

3) Install old iMac HDD (with 10.6 and all your data/apps) to the iMac

4) Profit!

I do this quite a bit for many friends and clients. No issues.

Thanks guys. That will probably be the route we go with.

Also, did not know you could buy older MacOSX for a relatively low price like that.

That's the normal price. Mountain Lion is $20 if you don't have it, and Mavericks will likely be $20 when it comes out.

That's the normal price. Mountain Lion is $20 if you don't have it, and Mavericks will likely be $20 when it comes out.

That new iMac he has his eye isn't ML capable... I doubt Mavericks will be as well.. Running SL will be his only option.. But still a very good version!

That new iMac he has his eye isn't ML capable... I doubt Mavericks will be as well.. Running SL will be his only option.. But still a very good version!

Yep, I was just commenting on his statement about the price being "relatively low," when that's how OSX is priced in general.

Back