Mounting heatercore to top of case?

z3r0-

[H]ard|Gawd
Well I HAD everything in a case but it wouldent boot and I took everything out of the case not realising that the TEC wires were touching and shorting my PSU... So when I get a CPU TEC and stuff next month or so I want to move back into the case (kingwin KT424) but how would I go about securing a dual heatercore to the top of it?

Most people use long screws that go through the fins of the heatercore. You could also use some kind of strap setup with something like zip-ties. Get creative, use whatever junk you have lying around or feel like spending money on.

Depends on the radiator you have. The BIX2 has mounts already on the rad to hook it up. I have mine on the top of the case and it works fine.

No not like at the top of the case I mean ON TOP of the case like hovering in the air :p

you'll need to manufacture a bit of a holder that'll go around the edges and hold it up and in place (L-shaped pieces of stuff work good for this), then you'll need something to make little feet with, and have it high enough off the case that airflow won't be hindered (depending on airflow, probably around 1.5-2 inches rough guess). If you pick your L-shaped stuff right, you'll be able to screw the feet into the corners of your holder, and then you might want to screw the other end of whatever feet you used into the case so it doesn't go anywhere.

Incidentally, I was looking to get something rough done and in place as temp stuff and here is what I used:

plastic corner protectors for the L-shaped holder stuff (protects the corners of walls, should be cheap and easy to find at a home improvement store). you cut these so they are the lengths of each side of the heatercore, then when you put them all on their respective edges, the corners will have a nice little square overlapping to screw through into your feet...
for which I used a dowel rod, cut to the 1.5-2 inches I decided on.

It didn't look pretty, but it worked great. Anyway, hopefully that'll at least give you a mental image and you can go and make it look pretty if you want.

Mines on top of my case. I made a custom setup with some nylon spacers and some long bolts. BTW: This setup works great even without a shroud currently. Dropped my temps in half since air.

cleanpc.JPG

I decided I'm gona make a custom shroud and mount the thing on its side and bolt it down by the shroud.

ProOC said:
Mines on top of my case. I made a custom setup with some nylon spacers and some long bolts. BTW: This setup works great even without a shroud currently. Dropped my temps in half since air.

cleanpc.JPG

um.. question. why don't you have your fans mounted right up to the radiator? wouldn't you think that would give you better performance cuz the current setup you have now seems to be wasting a lot of airflow.

The way he has it now eliminates the "dead spot" in the middle of the fan. A shroud would help a bit tho.

I bet you could find some thin copper pipe to use as a spacer if you want it to look good.

A little polish, a little clearcoat...you could have a very good looking mount.

Back