Mounting data wires (cat6/coax etc) on ceiling/walls

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
When I ran some of my jacks I used these screw in loops that could handle 2 wires, and I just tie wraped the rest of the wires to them. There has to be something better I can use. I don't have access to fancy panduit stuff that data centers use, so I'm looking for something that I would fine in a hardware store like Canadian Tire or Home Depot.

this is my current setup, it's not really the nicest. Something where the wires are held better in place, and that it's easier to add more wires on top in the future, would be nice. Any suggestions? I plan to run more jacks soon, so I want to do it better. I will also have some coming up from the crawlspace, not sure how I'll do that yet, maybe a PVC conduit for just around the beam so it looks better, as I really dont want to be making huge holes in the beam.

Just use J hooks. That is what you will find in most all commercial cable projects when the cable is not in conduit.

J-hooks work great. If there's only a dozen or two lines, I've also used cable straps before (something like this or this).

Another vote for J hooks, you can usually find rubberized ones that you can twist right into wood.

Another vote for J hooks and cable-straps but if you ever want to finish that side/corner of the basement, you should probably consider simply using a hole-saw to put a small hole through the center of those joists.

j-hooks = best. Make sure you get the ones that are filed down properly, or the plastic ones. Some of the cheaper ones made of metal, are not filed down properly and they actually slice and wreck cable.

I'd just drill holes in the floor joists and run the cable through the holes. Make them large enough to run enough cables through them now and into the future. You've got large enough floor joists to do that. That's what I did at my mom's place before I moved out. Most of the electrical and plumbing was run that way when she got the house. Keeps the wires out of the way in case you want to install a drop ceiling later on.

I'd just drill holes in the floor joists and run the cable through the holes. Make them large enough to run enough cables through them now and into the future. You've got large enough floor joists to do that. That's what I did at my mom's place before I moved out. Most of the electrical and plumbing was run that way when she got the house. Keeps the wires out of the way in case you want to install a drop ceiling later on.

In Canada you can't do that. you have to knock out the pre-cut holes if you want to go through them!

I see. Wasn't aware of the OP's location or building codes up there. Building codes (actually there are very few in this state) pretty much allow you do anything you want.

Ironically, my mom's house was a modular 1 story ranch built in New Brunswick and shipped to her house lot. The floor joists were already drilled out for wires. I only had to drill through the center beam to bring wiring to the other side of the floor.

In Canada you can't do that. you have to knock out the pre-cut holes if you want to go through them!

I don't know about canada but where I live the home owner can pretty much do what he wants to his own home but a contractor must follow code. For example a contractor can't run a sewer line to our second garage because then it becomes considered a second home on the same lot which isn't allowed, but we can do it personally with no legal problems.

I don't know about canada but where I live the home owner can pretty much do what he wants to his own home but a contractor must follow code. For example a contractor can't run a sewer line to our second garage because then it becomes considered a second home on the same lot which isn't allowed, but we can do it personally with no legal problems.

True here too, however sometimes you have to bribe the inspectors when running some cables in certain areas. :(

So guess if jhooks are acceptable, what I did is not so bad then? I figured there was maybe a way that fastens them better.

I chose not to go through the joists as I want to keep data away from electrical. When I run electrical I put a hole around the center of the joists as it is the area that will cause the least weak spot and less chance of a nail or something hitting it if I change flooring, drill down etc in the future. Putting a hole near the bottom is the worse way to make the joists weaker as there is more tension at the bottom so I avoid it if I can. While my joists would probably handle that ok, I rather not take a chance especially if a wire needs to span across a large section of joists near the center of the span.

Agreed that building code does trump any suggestions here, so checking with local and federal building code is recommended. But straps, bridles, J-hooks, or any other similar mounting bracket are obviously a non-issue.

And to the point Orinthical made, any suggestions provided also depend on the OP's eventual desires for the basement: leaving unfinished, installing a drop ceiling, finishing with sheetrock to the joists, etc.

Back