Mounting Corsair 55 bracket question (strix 270 motherboard)

Blakestr

[H]ard|Gawd
Not sure if this belongs in motherboards or cooler. Apologize for mods if it's in the wrong spot.

It was recommended to get the Corsair 55i AIO cooler for my mini ITX VR Simulator build. However, I seem to have hit a snag. I'm using the Strix 270i motherboard.

While the website DOES say it is compatible with the 1151 socket, it does not appear to be "happily" compatible. The manual seems to come from a time before the 1151 socket was out. Some amazon users report it DOES fit but there are some workarounds needed. (and they of course, do not say)

I have 3 main issues regarding the backplate not fitting.

1. Backplate sits off-center, as the pin holes for the backplate will NOT fit in a normal configuration. (1151 isn't even listed on the pin holes like the other ones.

2. Backplate rests against a transistor. While it is rather flexible plastic, it is sitting RIGHT on top of a transistor on the back of a motherboard.

3. Following point 3, should I even USE the included double-sided 3M adhesive? I'm assuming that's for metal backplates against a metal motherboard. It seems like using it now would 1 - goop up anything that it touches. 2. put even more pressure on that transistor.

It's been years since I had the money to do a new build and I've never used an AIO before. (they didn't exist last time I built)

My work around is this. Turn the backplate 90 clockwise and mount it. The top of the cooler wouldn't "care" as long as it has holes to screw into. Doing this would make it not rest on any transistor. The one caveat is I would have to drill a hole into the backplate because one of the cpu bracket screws is poking through. (literally the hole would allow the screw to fit into the bracket then). While it seems like common sense, there is a small voice inside that screams this is a terrible, terrible idea.

Here are the images -
V1c3Wba
OFF CENTER BACKPLATE

The Transistor backplate would rest on top off. -
BkuHUIQ

The screw that would poke through drill-holed if I rotated the back plate 90 degrees
2EWO8zl

Image links if above didn't work

off center - https://imgur.com/V1c3Wba

transistor in the way - https://imgur.com/BkuHUIQ

screw in the way - https://imgur.com/2EWO8zl

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Orient the back plate so it doesn't interfere with the socket brace.

Use the 1156 holes on the backplate as they are the same as the 1151 holes. The backplate will not be centered, it's not designed to be.

I never used the adhesive on my water coolers, but it does make installation easier. I wouldn't worry about the transistor, nothing touching it will be conductive.

One word of advice is don't over tighten the cooler. You'll strip out the plastic on the backplate and never get the thing off again.

Orient the back plate so it doesn't interfere with the socket brace.

Use the 1156 holes on the backplate as they are the same as the 1151 holes. The backplate will not be centered, it's not designed to be.

I never used the adhesive on my water coolers, but it does make installation easier. I wouldn't worry about the transistor, nothing touching it will be conductive.

One word of advice is don't over tighten the cooler. You'll strip out the plastic on the backplate and never get the thing off again.

Thanks for the advice. I spent like 30 minutes on the phone with Corsair tech who basically said the problem was that the motherboard manufacturer (Asus) put those transistors there. He advised it should be fine because it's barely resting against it. So I did it, without using adhesive because it was plastic, and so far, so good.

My temps are around 38 idle on CPU and maxed out around 81 or 82 C while compiling with Unreal engine. (The case is pretty much airtight and I'm in sunny Florida 78F room. It's the SG13 B case with the quiet front...and this thing is very quiet>)

Back