Mother board will auto shut off during bio update

wyua

n00b
Hello guys, new here.
i recently bought new parts to build a completely new build with all the parts brand new.
bought asus x670e proart creator wifi today and i heard a lot bad reviews of asus mb so i decide to update bio before the build(so dumb). so i prepared a usb with bio 1502 version which released couple days ago, i connected with only mb power and cpu power to flash the bio update and all the bio lights indicated works properly, i waited few mins after the bio lights went off then turned off the power. i installed cpu( 7950x) ram(ddr5) then i plug hdmi into the mb to check the bio but all i got is bio is updating please do not turn off then after few seconds the mother board just shut off by itself. i was so panic so i tried to find the factory version (0805) on the board then did the flash again but same results, i tried to clear cmo and battery leave it out came back after a while but still not working.
i believe i reflashed again with newer version to just test if the bio flash usb is working, it is the same result, but after i unplug all the power cable for around 15mins and rejump it, then the mother board shows bio is updating cypress pd firmware do not shut off but of course it shut off by itself after 5seconds again, i immediately reboots to see if it is actually working and it only last 5 seconds again, so i unplug again after few trys now it is showing bio is updating thunderbolt nvm firmware. imagesize:0*65000 written so far 0*03200 then 06400,09600, then motherboard will shut down in few seconds, so it is pretty clear to say every time after i jump start it will only last 5-15 seconds for the bio update then it shut down itself.

all the hardware seems no issue as i test with my old psu, ram's rgb is lighting i am able to see the screen so i assume cpu works fine, the psu is 1000W so should be ok to test, my gpu is still in shipping, i only installed cpu and 1 ddr5 ram and 1 ssd to boost, so what should i do to prevent motherboard shut down itself every 10-15 seconds? leave it overnight ? should i unplug everything?

any advice would be helpfult

Last edited:
Hello guys, new here.
i recently bought new parts to build a completely new build with all the parts brand new.
bought asus x670e proart creator wifi today and i heard a lot bad reviews of asus mb so i decide to update bio before the build(so dumb). so i prepared a usb with bio 1502 version which released couple days ago, i connected with only mb power and cpu power to flash the bio update and all the bio lights indicated works properly, i waited few mins after the bio lights went off then turned off the power. i installed cpu( 7950x) ram(ddr5) then i plug hdmi into the mb to check the bio but all i got is bio is updating please do not turn off then after few seconds the mother board just shut off by itself. i was so panic so i tried to find the factory version (0805) on the board then did the flash again but same results, i tried to clear cmo and battery leave it out came back after a while but still not working.
i believe i reflashed again with newer version to just test if the bio flash usb is working, it is the same result, but after i unplug all the power cable for around 15mins and rejump it, then the mother board shows bio is updating cypress pd firmware do not shut off but of course it shut off by itself after 5seconds again, i immediately reboots to see if it is actually working and it only last 5 seconds again, so i unplug again after few trys now it is showing bio is updating thunderbolt nvm firmware. imagesize:0*65000 written so far 0*03200 then 06400,09600, then motherboard will shut down in few seconds, so it is pretty clear to say every time after i jump start it will only last 5-15 seconds for the bio update then it shut down itself.

all the hardware seems no issue as i test with my old psu, ram's rgb is lighting i am able to see the screen so i assume cpu works fine, the psu is 1000W so should be ok to test, my gpu is still in shipping, i only installed cpu and 1 ddr5 ram to boost, so what should i do to prevent motherboard shut down itself every 10-15 seconds? leave it overnight ? should i unplug everything?

any advice would be helpfult
"bought asus x670e proart creator wifi today and i heard a lot bad reviews of asus mb so i decide to update bio before the build(so dumb)."
Hmm?

my bad, i mean the cpu buring, rma process kind of the stuff

CPU burning is fixed with the recent BIOS. The board likely has a dual BIOS, so when you update one it will shut down to update the backup. You need to be patient and let it do its thing, it will take a while, hopefully you haven't bricked it.

CPU burning is fixed with the recent BIOS. The board likely has a dual BIOS, so when you update one it will shut down to update the backup. You need to be patient and let it do its thing, it will take a while, hopefully you haven't bricked it.
thank you for the reply, last night after couple hours, finally it made a progress from 09600 to 0*0FA00byte, but still shut itself, so i just leave it overnight for 8 hours but today it shut off at exact same 0FA00byte now

Updates: went to the local repair shop to troubleshot, turns out i have to have an aio for cpu in order to do it, problem solved.
my new aio is on the way that's why i did not set it up yet,Lmao.

Updates: went to the local repair shop to troubleshot, turns out i have to have an aio for cpu in order to do it, problem solved.
my new aio is on the way that's why i did not set it up yet,Lmao.

What cooler were you using before? It shouldn't matter as long as it can cool the cpu.

well I did not use any cooler during the bio updates, thought would be easy like my old 4790k lol, my old aio with my old gears and new aio was still shipping at the moment that’s why I did not even put anything on cpu and thought it would work like before.

well I did not use any cooler during the bio updates, thought would be easy like my old 4790k lol, my old aio with my old gears and new aio was still shipping at the moment that’s why I did not even put anything on cpu and thought it would work like before.

You have guts man, I have to give my respect.

hold-on-wait-a-minute.gif

You... you were running the CPU without a cooler of any kind?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!

Well, there's your problem. Early boot doesn't have a lot of thermal management.... Kind of funny you were doing these updates so you don't burn the cpu... But it'll probably be ok in the end.

You... you were running the CPU without a cooler of any kind?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!

Its not exactly uncommon to do, even high end GPUs can run without a heatsink for a few seconds. A lot of component level repair places do this to quickly check if a repair worked without reassembling everything. But running long enough to update a BIOS? Yeah thats a big stretch.

Its not exactly uncommon to do, even high end GPUs can run without a heatsink for a few seconds. A lot of component level repair places do this to quickly check if a repair worked without reassembling everything. But running long enough to update a BIOS? Yeah thats a big stretch.
Definitely not during a BIOS update. I'm scared enough that something else might happen (power loss) during the process. Not having a heatsink on the CPU is like fornicating bare back with a prostitute in Tijuana.

I am sorry but that made me lol.... Then I remembered I cracked a $350(at the time) Intel P3 1Ghz cpu with a bad cooler install.. then I was sad...but then I remembered it was 25~yrs ago and I was fine again... I wish you good luck and success on the rest of your build... while you wait for the cooler maybe watch some bios update guide videos?? and or build tutorials and yeah... don't turn a computer on without a cpu cooler that is "bad".

I am sorry but that made me lol.... Then I remembered I cracked a $350(at the time) Intel P3 1Ghz cpu with a bad cooler install.. then I was sad...but then I remembered it was 25~yrs ago and I was fine again... I wish you good luck and success on the rest of your build... while you wait for the cooler maybe watch some bios update guide videos?? and or build tutorials and yeah... don't turn a computer on without a cpu cooler that is "bad".
People are lucky now, CPUs will just shut off/aggressively downclock when reaching a certain temp. OP would've roasted that sucker back in the day.

Back