Most demanding game right now in 2023 ?

Lords of the Fallen 2 just because it's Unreal 5 and fast action at 4K it would be really demanding I ran it at 1440p

Tic Tac Toe

The World nearly faced nuclear Armageddon before the WOPR determined there is no winner! :-P

There's definitely performance issues with a lot of modern games, but coding a AAA game in assembly isn't gonna happen. Modern games have millions and millions of lines of code and there's often a ton of scripting too (for example, Cyberpunk 2077 has IIRC over 300,000 lines of Redscript in addition to the millions of lines of C++ for the engine). Writing that in assembly would be a massive undertaking to begin with- and then what do you do when bugs need to get patched, or features added, or gameplay rebalanced?

Coding the engine in C/C++ and then relying heavily on scripting may not be the most performant way but it's what makes fully-featured modern AAA games possible. Nobody is gonna make a Cyberpunk or Starfield in Assembly in any reasonable amount of time. Hell, even Doom and Quake were largely coded in C and that's going on 30 years ago.
What about railroad tycoon?

Overwatch 2 playing comp at 600fps in 4k Ultra settings juices up my 13900KS to 70% or more sometimes. That's crazy.

Alan Wake 2 kinda is, but you have to keep in mind how small the environments are. They look absolutely amazing, but you're exploring areas that make up like 3 city blocks. For something bigger, I'll toss out a recommendation for Hogwarts Legacy. When you crank the details on that game, the lighting and reflection effects look phenomenal. It's also gigantic, so it has a different vibe.
Yup.. looks amazing but it’s all enclosed … limited spaces .. still looks crazy good.. hell Robocop at 4k even started making my 4090 work hard …. But I’m thinking that’s more poorly optimized… still looks nice though.. nothing outrageous but nice. CP2077 is for sure a candidate… the city has so much detail it’s incredible!! And works my 4090 but I can keep 120fps at 4k with DLSS on and RT at ‘stab you in the throat’ level or whatever .. lol. That game looks incredible.

What about railroad tycoon?
That was a fun one. Transport Tycoon was a real step up though. It is amazing there is still a vibrant community for it.

Java minecraft running a high resolution texture pack combined with path tracing though...crushes anything.

Global Thermal Nuclear War didn't even use Ray Tracing
It was ahead of the curve for online multiplayer though
/s
A mushroom cloud from a 1MT yield has over ten petapolygons! ;-)

OTOH, the S100 based WOPR has perhaps a billionth of the flops of an A17 Pro!

You can still bring anything out there to it's knees with KSP ;) 10+ yrs on and still making everything it's bitch
Considering, as you say, it's 10+ years on it would be helpful for us less smart if you took the time to spell out what KSP's title actually is.

Avatar is probably the most demanding. I saw my fps go below 60 in that game. Not something I usually see much of anymore with my setup.

Ahhh!
Don't get it :(
It's basically a NASA \ Lego sim with little green space men. Huge mod community. But as your designs get more complex, the piece count goes up and the game simulates physics on about 90% of them. It's one of the few games that you can take FPS and turn it into SPF (seconds per frame)

It's basically a NASA \ Lego sim with little green space men. Huge mod community. But as your designs get more complex, the piece count goes up and the game simulates physics on about 90% of them. It's one of the few games that you can take FPS and turn it into SPF (seconds per frame)
Okay makes sense. I thought it was a meme type thing a-la Crysis.
Thanks for the filling me in.

There's definitely performance issues with a lot of modern games, but coding a AAA game in assembly isn't gonna happen. Modern games have millions and millions of lines of code and there's often a ton of scripting too (for example, Cyberpunk 2077 has IIRC over 300,000 lines of Redscript in addition to the millions of lines of C++ for the engine). Writing that in assembly would be a massive undertaking to begin with- and then what do you do when bugs need to get patched, or features added, or gameplay rebalanced?

Coding the engine in C/C++ and then relying heavily on scripting may not be the most performant way but it's what makes fully-featured modern AAA games possible. Nobody is gonna make a Cyberpunk or Starfield in Assembly in any reasonable amount of time. Hell, even Doom and Quake were largely coded in C and that's going on 30 years ago.
Great concise answer, unlike a lot of coding these days :)

Spiderman Remastered in 4k dlss off and frame generation off is a beast on the CPU. I've seen my 13900KS kiss 90% usage sometimes.

Cyberpunk is several years old now. Amazing looking game for sure, but AW2 is UE5 and just released.
The environment looks great but character models are inconsistent and some just look awful... path tracing (lighting, reflections and shadows) does look pretty

Back