Mortal Kombat 1

The game has DLSS, DLAA, FSR, XeSS and a good range of graphics options. I've been playing for around 4 hours now. I did just get an achievement saying I'm half way through story mode.

There is some stutter during the pre-rendered cutscenes, not sure why they didn't just make the in engine since the game isn't very demanding. My 4090 is only pulling 130W at 4K max settings with DLAA.

Last edited:
The game has DLSS, DLAA, FSR, XeSS and a good range of graphics options. I've been playing for around 4 hours now. I did just get an achievement saying I'm half way through story mode.

There is some stutter during the pre-rendered cutscenes, not sure why they didn't just make the in engine since the game isn't very demanding. My 4090 is only pulling 130W at 4K max settings with DLAA.
I installed the game on my laptop and I'm getting stuttering during cutscenes and gameplay. I'll test it on my desktop when I get home later tonight. Hopefully it's better there.

Pre-rendered cutscenes have been making a comeback in games recently, for some reason. It's probably because the consoles are not powerful enough to render them in real time. Funny how we're regressing despite consoles being more powerful than ever.

Mortal Kombat 1​

mortal1.jpg

I did some testing incase anyone was considering buying MK1 and only have a Steam Deck.

I found Low Settings, XeSS Performance to offer the best experience (XeSS Performance performs the same as FSR2 Balanced but looks better)
  • 15W, Stock Steam Deck: 39FPS
  • 15W, Stock Clocks, CryoUtility Tweaks: 44FPS
  • 18W, 1800 GFX, 3800 CPU, CryoUtility: 48FPS

I did some testing incase anyone was considering buying MK1 and only have a Steam Deck.

I found Low Settings, XeSS Performance to offer the best experience (XeSS Performance performs the same as FSR2 Balanced but looks better)
  • 15W, Stock Steam Deck: 39FPS
  • 15W, Stock Clocks, CryoUtility Tweaks: 44FPS
  • 18W, 1800 GFX, 3800 CPU, CryoUtility: 48FPS
what res?

According to a person on Reddit SteamOS 3.5 raises the performance of the a stock Steam Deck by 10% from 39 FPS to 44 FPS in Mortal Kombat 1.

1694905385220.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/16k95zj/the_obligatory_steamos_35_runs_game_x_better/

If this is true you can probably get 50 FPS with a little wattage increase and maybe near 55-60 FPS after the game is further optimized. I don't plan on adding the preview branch on my SD, but hopefully it makes it way to the main branch soon a lot of games are seeing big performance improvements.

Wait for the "Komplete" edition is what I always do with MK games.

Is this worth the current price of admission?
Wait for Komplete Edition on sale unless you're a hardcore fan. I bought day 1, played for about 7 days and got bored. It's literally MK11 with better graphics.

The story mode was pretty good but I think I liked MK11's better. I played matches online for like 4-5 days, the thing that mainly pissed me off is you can't decline ranked matches with WiFi people, and most of the people use WiFi (it seemed). So I mainly played unranked King of the Hill which was pretty fun.

Wait for Komplete Edition on sale unless you're a hardcore fan. I bought day 1, played for about 7 days and got bored. It's literally MK11 with better graphics.

The story mode was pretty good but I think I liked MK11's better. I played matches online for like 4-5 days, the thing that mainly pissed me off is you can't decline ranked matches with WiFi people, and most of the people use WiFi (it seemed). So I mainly played unranked King of the Hill which was pretty fun.
And I would argue the better graphics thing is even debatable. Some elements yes but the brutalities don't seem as smooth or polished.

Back