Mortal Kombat 1

Wasn't so much announced as it was let slip during the earnings call where WB should know better. We all knew it was coming, it was just a matter of when. It's been 4 years since MK11 came out.

Looks like the next game is called "Mortal Kombat," confirming a reboot?

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1656343966306926597
1683820042807.png

The tweet above shows an animation of a clock ticking from 9 to 11, getting stuck, struggling, and then skipping to 1.

https://twitter.com/billbil_kun/status/1656571645039878145
1683820106638.png

The block button is one of those hallmarks of MK. I don't see them bailing on it at this point. I don't know if MK1 originated the concept, but it was the first major game to use it. For better or worse, it allows for a different style of movement since proximity attacks don't have to be in the game. If you look at Street Fighter and such, there's a carefully defined point when walking backwards turns into blocking and vice versa. MK doesn't have that since holding a button dictates things.

The block button is one of those hallmarks of MK. I don't see them bailing on it at this point. I don't know if MK1 originated the concept, but it was the first major game to use it. For better or worse, it allows for a different style of movement since proximity attacks don't have to be in the game. If you look at Street Fighter and such, there's a carefully defined point when walking backwards turns into blocking and vice versa. MK doesn't have that since holding a button dictates things.

They won't and they can't really. MK has, for better and worse, never been as technical or skill based as the other 2D fighters. That's not a knock on it. They've just always done shit their way and focused on spectacle over skill. Most of the attempts to skill it up have ended very badly. And there are plenty of stupidly high skilled fighters that just aren't fun at all. They weren't the first to use a block button but after Capcom and SNK ran with back is block the writing was on the wall for that argument. MK even ran with their own, very odd, button layout that's still unique to them. Block buttons were the norm until Capcom and SNK essentially crushed everyone in the fighter department.

I'd like to see them reboot stuff closer to UMK3. Bring back the run button and keep the "dial a combo for free like a scrub cause this is a scrub game" style of things. But I'm an old crank who would want Street Fighter dragged back into the Super Turbo era as well. I think a lot of games have imported functions from other games for the sake of making it more technical or it just seemed like a cool feature and this leads to a mess.

Series does need a reboot though as it ran away into whatever the mess 11 was. 9 was very good though.

They won't and they can't really. MK has, for better and worse, never been as technical or skill based as the other 2D fighters. That's not a knock on it. They've just always done shit their way and focused on spectacle over skill. Most of the attempts to skill it up have ended very badly. And there are plenty of stupidly high skilled fighters that just aren't fun at all. They weren't the first to use a block button but after Capcom and SNK ran with back is block the writing was on the wall for that argument. MK even ran with their own, very odd, button layout that's still unique to them. Block buttons were the norm until Capcom and SNK essentially crushed everyone in the fighter department.

I'd like to see them reboot stuff closer to UMK3. Bring back the run button and keep the "dial a combo for free like a scrub cause this is a scrub game" style of things. But I'm an old crank who would want Street Fighter dragged back into the Super Turbo era as well. I think a lot of games have imported functions from other games for the sake of making it more technical or it just seemed like a cool feature and this leads to a mess.

Series does need a reboot though as it ran away into whatever the mess 11 was. 9 was very good though.
The fact that MK isn't focused on being a competitive fighter is the reason I still like it when compared to others. MK may have went the spectacle route, but others are going the balance at all costs route for esport purposes. That is what ruined Tekken for me.

I've followed all the MK games and the difficulty level is getting higher and higher. It's becoming very hard to remember the multiple complex button mashing combos to put together. Just so many combinations. I just don't have the time to master a million combo buttons for 30 heroes.

I've followed all the MK games and the difficulty level is getting higher and higher. It's becoming very hard to remember the multiple complex button mashing combos to put together. Just so many combinations. I just don't have the time to master a million combo buttons for 30 heroes.

Stay far, far away from the new Tekken games then. In those you have to learn like 300 high/low/mid alternating sequences just to play defense.
In general, that's becoming the way of the world for fighting games, though. To avoid rehashing the same game over and over, the solution is usually pile more content on top of what you already have.

The fact that MK isn't focused on being a competitive fighter is the reason I still like it when compared to others. MK may have went the spectacle route, but others are going the balance at all costs route for esport purposes. That is what ruined Tekken for me.

Oh I agree entirely. MK has never been competitive or taken an ounce of skill. It's always been a joke, that took itself as a joke, it's better for that. Not everyone is Capcom or SNK that can pull hits and misses on competitive play with more hits than misses and even then the misses are bad ones.

I like Samurai Shodown for same reason. It's utterly uncaring about being anything other than the cluster fuck it is. Which, good or bad, it does pull off with great glee. There's a great place for games that just embrace being crazy, for the sake of crazy.

Stay far, far away from the new Tekken games then. In those you have to learn like 300 high/low/mid alternating sequences just to play defense.
In general, that's becoming the way of the world for fighting games, though. To avoid rehashing the same game over and over, the solution is usually pile more content on top of what you already have.

For all its' memes, this is why I fell in love with Smash Brothers games: Every character has the same exact buttons, no memorizing combos, special button sequences, etc. The differences between characters are so huge without that, yet you can pick up any character and learn their playstyle without needing to study 5 pages of konami codes

Wait you guys are saying MK isn't competitive? Don't they have yearly competition for all most of the top fighting games? MVC and MK and SF ?

Wait you guys are saying MK isn't competitive? Don't they have yearly competition for all most of the top fighting games? MVC and MK and SF ?

Kinda. They do have a fighter tournament, several in fact. MK usually makes it only right after a new one is released. Then all the top players from other games storm in and curb stomp the MK community cause the game is stupidly simple and easy compared to others. Then it gets pulled off the main rotation while games like SF stay on it. It lasts less on the main rotation than jokes like Soul Caliber or whatever the new hot anime fighter of the year is.

It's not a "top" game by any stretch of that term. It's new MK lasts one season while all the players from other fighters pummel the MK players, maybe two seasons, and then goes away completely while their remaining community cries into their oatmeal over and over again. It's never a main draw or big money or constant return like SF or Tekken. It often under performs games that feature anime school girls fighting with swords even at it's peak. It's bassically been the short bus of fighters since it first released outside of a brief period in MK9 after which MK9 finished out it's history in the short bus again. Hell indie fighters beat it in views and people that care about fighters.

It's not the only game that has suffered this fate, looking at you GG and BB, but games like that were agreed on to take skill and MK never was thought of skill based and always sort of a punch line.

Again though, it's not really a knock it's better for it. Games in the tier and popularity range of MK, KI, or DOA, have always been laughing stocks but are more fun and less full of over complex nonsense than other games. But they've always remained in the distant corners of the shadow of monsters like SF and Tekken which have turned into overly complex monsters.

Also the newest MVC got pulled because it sucked.

I hate how everything is made to a competitive game. Too many try hard sweaty nerds ruin the fun. I never play online anymore.

I couldn't give a shit if a particular game appeals to the competitive gaming crowd, or what that crowd has to say about a game.

I hate how everything is made to a competitive game. Too many try hard sweaty nerds ruin the fun. I never play online anymore.

The key with most of these is finding your group of like minded people. Online match making is a mess.
I couldn't give a shit if a particular game appeals to the competitive gaming crowd, or what that crowd has to say about a game.

It is, and isn't, worth caring about. In the case of fighters MKs absurdly low skill ceiling and lack of any sort of real complexity means it fires off big and then dies off rapidly and gets passed off as a simple gore fest with nothing else going for it. There are die hards, but it lacks the staying power of even more odd ball games like KOF. Where games like Tekken and SF which are firmly focused on competition keep chugging along and maintain a player base. Given the staggering current cost with fighters and all the DLC that's going to come down the pipe (which is less stupid than SF2, SF2CE, SF2HF, SF2T, SF2ST and that era) you want something that's going to have a community that lasts, and MK is not that. There's no depth to the game, there never has been. People sort of run though it see all the fatalities it has a few seasons as a second or usually third tier game on the fighting game circut and then... that's it! It's dead. On the other hand if you invested in Street Fighter or Tekken that sucker is going to keep going and going and going and going. You're going to get what you paid for.

For SP games I agree with you enitrely but when you are talking about a game that's life depends on people playing it you want people to play it.

My MK group is hosted monthly, at best, by a friend who owns a huge ass place out in VA and works as an audio engineer so he has a legit full theater in his home we can play on with the uppercuts shaking the floor.

The key with most of these is finding your group of like minded people. Online match making is a mess.

It is, and isn't, worth caring about. In the case of fighters MKs absurdly low skill ceiling and lack of any sort of real complexity means it fires off big and then dies off rapidly and gets passed off as a simple gore fest with nothing else going for it. There are die hards, but it lacks the staying power of even more odd ball games like KOF. Where games like Tekken and SF which are firmly focused on competition keep chugging along and maintain a player base. Given the staggering current cost with fighters and all the DLC that's going to come down the pipe (which is less stupid than SF2, SF2CE, SF2HF, SF2T, SF2ST and that era) you want something that's going to have a community that lasts, and MK is not that. There's no depth to the game, there never has been. People sort of run though it see all the fatalities it has a few seasons as a second or usually third tier game on the fighting game circut and then... that's it! It's dead. On the other hand if you invested in Street Fighter or Tekken that sucker is going to keep going and going and going and going. You're going to get what you paid for.

For SP games I agree with you enitrely but when you are talking about a game that's life depends on people playing it you want people to play it.

My MK group is hosted monthly, at best, by a friend who owns a huge ass place out in VA and works as an audio engineer so he has a legit full theater in his home we can play on with the uppercuts shaking the floor.
Low skill ceiling? Wow. It is very complicated to learn how to play MK11. How many hit combos are they doing on MK or SF? Does SF even have nice combos like how MK used to have? It seems like they have cut back on the number of hits combos can be chained together and at the same time made them 20X harder to perform.

Combos in Street Fighter are handled differently from Mortal Kombat. In the MK titles it's mostly about just knowing what buttons to press in what order, while occasionally inserting a special attack. There isn't really a whole lot of timing needed, you just need to know the sequence. In the case of most characters, there are 1-2 "optimized" combos that you'll be doing over and over. You usually choose one for damage and one for corner placements or setups. With Street Fighter, the combos are more about timing. Most combos involve doing a normal attack and cancelling the animation into a special attack. Most normal move combos are what they call "links." Rather than hitting buttons in a canned order, you usually have to time how long one move stays onscreen with how quickly another one can be performed. That's how you link one normal into another one. They do have MK-style dial-a-combo sequences called chains or target combos (depends on the game), but they're usually only a small part of the game...except in Alpha 1 and SFxTekken.

Combos in Street Fighter are handled differently from Mortal Kombat. In the MK titles it's mostly about just knowing what buttons to press in what order, while occasionally inserting a special attack. There isn't really a whole lot of timing needed, you just need to know the sequence. In the case of most characters, there are 1-2 "optimized" combos that you'll be doing over and over. You usually choose one for damage and one for corner placements or setups. With Street Fighter, the combos are more about timing. Most combos involve doing a normal attack and cancelling the animation into a special attack. Most normal move combos are what they call "links." Rather than hitting buttons in a canned order, you usually have to time how long one move stays onscreen with how quickly another one can be performed. That's how you link one normal into another one. They do have MK-style dial-a-combo sequences called chains or target combos (depends on the game), but they're usually only a small part of the game...except in Alpha 1 and SFxTekken.

It's more than that. Really when talking combos you are talking (in order of difficulty) auto combo, dial a combo, targets, cancels, chains, links. Leaving auto combo out of this MK operates of dial a combo with vastly noobed up inputs compared to other games. It takes no skill at all to pull off anything in MK. That's not a knock, it's made that way, and it makes it playble for people who don't stand a chance in other games which is a good thing. But stuff like SF which is based off time and distanced based links and chains often with multiple cancles actually takes a bit of skill. Then you get into meter gimics (which again, MK keeps to the preeschool level) where games like SNK or ARC makes go over the type and get crazy with it. Which is why MK has remained the special olympics wiffle ball of fighting games where the rest are all playing pro baseball.

The catch is that MK is the gold standard for single player story mode, being playable by anybody, and easy to pick up. Other companies are moving that way. Hence all the great story modes that exist, and easy game play modes (that will get you slaughtered by a good player) in other games. But pretending it takes skill, or ever should be taken seriously is beyond fucking stupid. It never took it self that way. By even the developers own admission it was always stupidy easy, over the top, and kind of a joke to make people laugh. Hence TOASTY.

It's amazing how some of you know so little yet pretend to be an expert on MK and the community. To say it isn't competitive or played competitively is a bold lie. There's literally an entire aspect of the game called Kombat League in which it is ranked fighting online. Speaking of the online play, MK11 has been heralded as one of the best net coded games to make the online experience as close to offline as possible. And for the real competitions that are offline its hosted at Evo every year. It's currently 1 of only 8 competitively played games at Evolution. https://www.evo.gg/lineup
Additionally, there are tons of pro MK specific players. And no, they aren't beat by randoms from other games but some do enjoy playing other fighters competitively. Sonic Fox is one example.

Was hoping for a gameplay trailer not CGI. Though I did like the trailer, makes me want to replay the MK11 story mode. They should have just called it MK12 since Liu Kang is still a God.

Maybe they will show a gameplay trailer at Combo Breaker in a few weeks.

Back