More than 5 years since launch, the Epic Game Store has still not turned profitable

It might help if the actual Epic Game Store application didn't blow. Just an awful interface. People dedicate their entire careers to user experience & interfaces, and apparently that means the UI in a lot of modern programs gargles bollocks.

Some of the most played games are owned by Valve, and they didn't buy an existing studio with existing games to make their games.

Counter Strike, Team Fortress, Portal, Left 4 Dead come to mind. They even farmed out Counter Strike Global Offensive to a 3rd party. DOTA is based off of a mod from a Blizzard game. They're really only ever had one original game series, Half Life.

Guaranteed that it/when Steam hits a critical mass of Linux-supported AAA games, Sweeney - who has mocked linux gaming for years - will once again be whining about "Valve's unfair Linux monopoly" after Valve did all the heavy lifting , and that EGS will again need to "save" game developers...on linux this time, with a half baked, garbage can linux EGS store.

To be clear, the takeaway here isn't even about the merits of linux gaming, but an example of the belligerent behavior and attitude typical of this guy - there are many. He seems to have a gift for turning people off.

vzuds5ycbzw21.png

Last edited:
How do they plan to make money 🤔

Tim Sweeney’s Epic Games Store Is Still Losing Money After Five Years​

No big deal

It took Amazon more than 14 years, 58 quarters after its May 1997 initial public offering, to make, cumulatively, as much profit as it produced in the latest quarter alone.1 Jeff Bezos finally turned a profit in 2003, which was nine years after being founded and seven years after going public.2 After extending beyond books in 1998, the first time Amazon was able to cross into black numbers territory and make a profit was seen in the last quarter of 2001 after a busy Christmas shopping season. From there, 2003 became Amazon's first profitable year, as the company saw net profits grow from $3 million in the last quarter of 2002 to $73 million in the last quarter of 2003.

I used to bother with it, logged on once a week to grab my free game. I think I paid for one or two exclusives, then it told me to install "Epic Online Services" every time I relaunched it and I have zero interest in fortnite so i'm not gonna do that. I don't think I've launched EGS in years.
I already have thousands of games of backlog on steam.
I have bad news for you. Epic is extending its tendrils into everything.

https://steamdb.info/tech/SDK/EpicOnlineServices/

Epic also owns Easy Anti Cheat.

https://steamdb.info/tech/AntiCheat/EasyAntiCheat/

Yeah they give like 2 Million out to help out developers for Grant money. I still bought Alan Wake 2 on there was no other way to buy the game except for console.

I like to try before I buy. If I like the game then I buy it. Even Steam has a terrible return policy. If you play the game for more than 2 hours you can't return it. I can spend that much time creating a character.
Remember when games had free demos?

From what I gather they don't even have a proper windows launcher. One where people think, "this ain't so bad," when they start it to play those free games.

Edit: "proper" as in "very good" or "marked by suitability, rightness, or appropriateness".
I have to agree here. While Steam is not without its flaws, at least games are playable while Steam is running. My limited experience with Epic is as follows:
  • I received Ark: Survival Evolved for free, but I could not play online with players who owned the game on Steam nor could I use the Ark Server Manager application to host my own server because ASM was built to work with the Steam version of the game
    • I bought the game on Steam and uninstalled the Epic Games Store
  • I bought Red Dead Redemption II while it was on sale, but I could not play the game because there was a resource conflict between the Epic Games Store and the Rockstar Launcher that would cause the game to crash if the Epic Games Store was open in the background
    • I was able to get a refund after their customer service acknowledged that there was an issue and other users had made the same complaint
  • I received a free copy of The Outer Worlds that I was forced to redeem through the Epic Games Store and the game was barely playable if the Epic Games Store was open in the background
    • I eventually downloaded a cracked .exe that allowed me to play the game without constant stuttering or graphical artifacts and had the added bonus of no longer requiring the damn Epic Games Store to launch the game
This may have changed, but the last time that I had the Epic Games Store app installed there was no way to bypass the full-screen video advertisements that popped up at launch. Making purchases required going through my web browser because transactions could not be completed within the Epic Games Store app. There was a memory leak in the Epic Games Store app that would eventually crash Windows if you left it open too long.

It would make sense that it is not profitable if it is just an advertising service that can be written off as a marketing expense. That seems to be how they've handled it from a development standpoint, in my experience.

While we are at it, can we just stop with the every developer needs their own app launcher or game store crap? Further, why do we need two copies of an app launcher or game store open to launch some games (I'm thinking about Rockstar in particular here)?

Last edited:
The lack of a social platform on Epic kinda sucks but look what happens on Steam just trash talk 24/7.

Reactions: noko
like this
The lack of a social platform on Epic kinda sucks but look what happens on Steam just trash talk 24/7.
Welcome to modern internet where parasocial negativity, gas lighting, and trolling are king. Get used to it. There is no safe haven.

Some might consider a lack of social platform on EGS a plus. The decision to not go that route, I'm sure, is far more simple.

I view Steam Community a swamp you just have to learn how to navigate. It does gnaw on me how much time I waste trying to find any nugget of goodness on game-specific discussions. The game-specific guides are probably my favorite part of the Steam Community.

I’ve had my Steam account since right near the beginning of the platform. I’ve got hundreds of games there. I’ve VERY rarely got a free one, probably less than 5 times. I’ve purchased nearly all of them.

Epic, I have had since near their beginning too, I now have nearly as many games on the Epic client from the free weekly giveaways. I’ve bought only a single, heavily discounted game, with coupons there. Something I’d have had to pay $20 more for on Steam, that was a single player game, and I figured I owed epic a little something too. Ha.

My long term gaming friends are in the same boat. If a game we want to play comes out we buy it on Steam or play it on Xbox Game Pass. If it’s rotating off Xbox Game pass, we buy it on Steam, (instead of Xbox Game Pass where it is actually discounted 20% because of our subscription)

We all tolerate game pass client (with annoyance) because it basically lets you play so many different games for free (hundreds of titles), so it's great for multiplayer because there are no arguments about not wanting to buy this or that, cause they won't play it -- you just all download it and give it a try for a night. If you don't like it, move on.

We just grab the freebies from Epic, but don’t buy there, nor really even play there. (certainly not multiplayer)

And Steam somehow has us behaving like indentured servants, and we can’t stay away. I haven’t yet figured out why exactly, except that Steam has this fundamental reputation of ALWAYS being the client that just works. It is super easy to move to a new machine, or get running after an OS re-image. You just copy the install folder over, it’s no hassle, and it’s got its hook set hard in the long term gaming community. There is no logical reason for us to dislike Epic. They’ve given us HUNDREDS of great games free. They have a nice looking client interface. Many client features are on full parity. If I was the developers of Epic I’d scream what gives? Why can’t we expand our customer base and gain market share. Hah. I wonder that myself, as a user — what gives.

Yet, Steam is our overlord.

Last edited:
Counter Strike, Team Fortress, Portal, Left 4 Dead come to mind. They even farmed out Counter Strike Global Offensive to a 3rd party. DOTA is based off of a mod from a Blizzard game. They're really only ever had one original game series, Half Life.
Valve hired the developers of those games and paid for their development. Portal was a student project that looks nothing like the Portal we know. Team Fortress was a Quake mod that looked like this. You think that's the same as Epic buying Rocket League and then taking Linux support away?

View: https://youtu.be/8FVJ__rBFxk?si=KJK99sZ_oDfFFDPA

I’ve had my Steam account since right near the beginning of the platform. I’ve got hundreds of games there. I’ve VERY rarely got a free one, probably less than 5 times. I’ve purchased nearly all of them.

Epic, I have had since near their beginning too, I now have nearly as many games on the Epic client from the free weekly giveaways. I’ve bought only a single, heavily discounted game, with coupons there. Something I’d have had to pay $20 more for on Steam, that was a single player game, and I figured I owed epic a little something too. Ha.

My long term gaming friends are in the same boat. If a game we want to play comes out we buy it on Steam or play it on Xbox Game Pass. If it’s rotating off Xbox Game pass, we buy it on Steam, (instead of Xbox Game Pass where it is actually discounted 20% because of our subscription)

We all tolerate game pass client (with annoyance) because it basically lets you play so many different games for free (hundreds of titles), so it's great for multiplayer because there are no arguments about not wanting to buy this or that, cause they won't play it -- you just all download it and give it a try for a night. If you don't like it, move on.

We just grab the freebies from Epic, but don’t buy there, nor really even play there. (certainly not multiplayer)

And Steam somehow has us behaving like indentured servants, and we can’t stay away. I haven’t yet figured out why exactly, except that Steam has this fundamental reputation of ALWAYS being the client that just works. It is super easy to move to a new machine, or get running after an OS re-image. You just copy the install folder over, it’s no hassle, and it’s got its hook set hard in the long term gaming community. There is no logical reason for us to dislike Epic. They’ve given us HUNDREDS of great games free. They have a nice looking client interface. Many client features are on full parity. If I was the developers of Epic I’d scream what gives? Why can’t we expand our customer base and gain market share. Hah. I wonder that myself, as a user — what gives.

Yet, Steam is our overlord.
For me it's simply that Epic's platform just is lacking in features, still feels very bare bones after all these years. I buy on GoG first these days because if they go out of business/are sold off I'll still be able to own/play all my games. I'm surprised we don't have more exclusives now like AW2.

I have no problems with the Epic store/launcher. It's light and I can launch games from my library quickly and easily. I also have a boatload of freebie games from them, too.
I'd rather use Epic's launcher than Ubi, EA, Blizzard, etc.

I'm still upset with them. They had a small team developing a new modern Unreal Tournament game. Even have a Twitch channel with progress and updates. It was cool cause the team was taking input on Twitch. They even got as far as having 2 maybe 3 playable maps and custom skins on the epic game store. Then the cartoony fortnite took off and what ever team left on UT join fortnite and abandoned UT all together. Then at some point removed the playable game from Epic game store. How sad...

The fundamental problem with EGS, is that it's not Steam.

That's all there is to it, nothing more to really be said. If you can't offer feature parity with Steam, or have new innovative features etc that outshine Steam, you will not displace it. People don't want multiple storefronts, or game libraries etc. They want it all in a nice central place.

Steam has been iterating for 20 years.... trying to seriously compete with them via brute force is just lighting money on fire. As Epic seems to be figuring out.

That's all there is to it, nothing more to really be said. If you can't offer feature parity with Steam, or have new innovative features etc that outshine Steam, you will not displace it. People don't want multiple storefronts, or game libraries etc. They want it all in a nice central place.

Steam has been iterating for 20 years.... trying to seriously compete with them via brute force is just lighting money on fire. As Epic seems to be figuring out.

Define your definition of "nice". Because Steam is far from being a nice launcher.

Honestly I don't care if I need to use multiple launchers, even with steam I usually still have to launch a developers launcher as well anyway. What I hate is you all went running to Steam for digital copies of games that were selling for the same amount as physical copies and now we don't really own games anymore. I hate them all equally.

I'm still upset with them. They had a small team developing a new modern Unreal Tournament game. Even have a Twitch channel with progress and updates. It was cool cause the team was taking input on Twitch. They even got as far as having 2 maybe 3 playable maps and custom skins on the epic game store. Then the cartoony fortnite took off and what ever team left on UT join fortnite and abandoned UT all together. Then at some point removed the playable game from Epic game store. How sad...
Hah! Get over it, boomer!

The reality is I'm a boomer too :(

What I hate is you all went running to Steam for digital copies of games that were selling for the same amount as physical copies and now we don't really own games anymore. I hate them all equally.
Nothing better than obtaining a "physical copy", which contains naught but a steam code in a box!
"No. No this isn't how it works..."

The fundamental problem is that Epic has no attraction to their store. The reason EGS was launched was because of Fortnite, and wanted to capitalize on that games popularity to sell other games. This is why Microsoft has been buying studios left and right, because they thought Halo was enough to attract gamers to Xbox, because Sony for the past couple of decades had stepped up their game library and has a lot of good unique games. Epic did the same thing, except by buying existing games which they then took away from Steam. Not only that but because they don't support Linux, those games had to drop Linux support. To give you an idea, Minecraft is not exclusive to Xbox or Windows. You can happily play Minecraft on Playstation, Nintendo, Apple, and even Linux. I know I keep mentioning Linux but it currently has more of a presence on Steam than Mac does. Probably mostly due to the Steam Deck, which again is something Valve developed and made really cheap compared to anything else on the market. It's really innovative to make something that has the form factor of a Switch and then put an entire PC in it. Not even a locked down PC, but an open PC where you can install Windows and even emulators.

Sure EGS isn't Steam but, but that's because it has almost none of Steam's qualities. It's just a store, that also happens to have Fortnite and some exclusives that you used to buy on Steam.

Microsoft started putting some of their (and Activision Blizzard's) games on Steam because they think they'll be able to aquire Steam in the future. Gabe is getting old and not exactly a beacon of health, he isn't going to run Valve forever. What do you think is going to happen after? Microsoft thinks they know. I don't think I would like what they do with Steam.

Just thought I would throw that out there as it's very related to game stores.

I also want to throw out there that the most played games. Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft, and League of Legends are not on Steam. Fortnite recently had over 6 million concurrent players. Counter-Strike 2 is the current most played game on Steam and hasn't ever reached 2 million concurrent players. If you refuse to play games that aren't on Steam you're not in the majority.

Microsoft started putting some of their (and Activision Blizzard's) games on Steam because they think they'll be able to aquire Steam in the future. Gabe is getting old and not exactly a beacon of health, he isn't going to run Valve forever. What do you think is going to happen after? Microsoft thinks they know. I don't think I would like what they do with Steam.

Just thought I would throw that out there as it's very related to game stores.

I also want to throw out there that the most played games. Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft, and League of Legends are not on Steam. Fortnite recently had over 6 million concurrent players. Counter-Strike 2 is the current most played game on Steam and hasn't ever reached 2 million concurrent players. If you refuse to play games that aren't on Steam you're not in the majority.
The only reason a lot of those games have higher numbers than Counterstrike is because they aren't PC exclusive.
They're available on on every platform Including mobile.

Also Microsoft didn't put games on steam because they think they're gonna buy valve. They put the games on steam for the same reason everyone else does. They need the sales from Steam. Otherwise Minecraft would be on Steam already.

Microsoft started putting some of their (and Activision Blizzard's) games on Steam because they think they'll be able to aquire Steam in the future.
They put games on Steam because they weren't selling well off Steam. Same reason why Activision/Blizzard started putting their games on Steam.
Gabe is getting old and not exactly a beacon of health, he isn't going to run Valve forever.
Lets hope he lives for a long time. He isn't exactly old at the current age of 61, but he is chunky and that's a concern.
What do you think is going to happen after? Microsoft thinks they know. I don't think I would like what they do with Steam.
If Gaben dies then Steam is either bought up or becomes a publicly traded company. Either way, nothing good.

Yes but Counter Strike is just one of many games that Valve owns that is popular. Team Fortress 2 has 70,000 concurrent players. Dota 2 has 644,000. While Fortnite has currently less than a million, which is about the same as Counter Strike 2. I don't know when Fortnite had 6 million concurrent players, but that's not right now. Despite these games are very old and only owned by Valve, they are proven to still retain players.

What's interesting is that Gaben plays MMO's, or at least has. Who knows if their next big project is going to be an MMO? When was the last time you heard Tim Sweeney play a video game, if he ever has? I can recall when he says stupid stuff. A lot of stupid stuff. There's a big difference when one CEO is actively involved in their companies craft while the other one is a blood sucking vampire.

View: https://youtu.be/4yygjB8K8QU?si=iAdRjAzpj1AJWG70

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving company.

They were so busy trying to bring over (bribe) developers, they forgot they also need to win over paying customers. Giving out free crap won't bring in he people who are actually able and willing to pay for games. Better prices and service will.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving company.

They were so busy trying to bring over (bribe) developers, they forgot they also need to win over paying customers. Giving out free crap won't bring in he people who are actually able and willing to pay for games. Better prices and service will.
The thing I don't get here is that it's not like Epic doesn't have the resources to build out EGS correctly.
Or, it could simply be the fact that creating a storefront isn't nearly as easy as people purport it to be.

I got into so many arguments with people about Valve's 30% cut on Steam: "it costs nothing to host games and they get 30%!". And I tried to explain, "achktually, the platform is what devs are paying for. Steam handles transactions, refunds, social, automates game updates, and takes care of all management for both the devs and the customers" and people on these boards lost their shit on me for 'not getting' that Steam just provides hosting and they "don't deserve 30%".

Meanwhile if that's "all it is" then these devs could easily pay for their own hosting then and put it up themselves and get 100% of the profit. And we all know for a fact that that isn't how this works. Managing a storefront sucks, and if you're a small dev you don't want to devote time to managing payment, returns, how to push updates, or even DRM (which yes we all hate, but the point is trying to sell games and prevent theft).

The platform itself is what holds the value. It's not just that its been around for 20 years, it's that Steam does everything. It's like using Amazon if you're a small business. Amazon handles all of the logistics, warehousing, shipping, returns, payment platform, etc. If you want to build another Amazon, go for it, but it turns out that isn't exactly easy to do whether you're talking digitally or physically.

EGS seems to handle all the dev side stuff reasonably well, but it isn't handling the customer facing side at all, and the complaints in this thread reflect that. It's not just that there is an ideological problem against EGS (though there is), it's also that the platform just sucks. As another complaint, EGS hosts zero macOS and Linux versions of games. So why would I buy from EGS which limits the platform I can play a title on, when Steam and GOG don't? Here's an example: Tyranny from Obsidian. Why would I buy from them when GoG offers it to me on all platforms that the game supports? I realize I'm an edge case here, but it's the same amount of money, why would I pay the same for less? This is in addition to all of the other issues we're talking about here with their garbage launcher.

Last edited:
the Epic haters make no sense...they literally have 4-5 digital storefronts already installed on their systems...but...for some strange reason they are drawing the line with the Epic Store and refusing to install another one...and they create some made up reason in their heads about Tim Sweeney or the lack of certain features on the Epic Store to rationalize it but the truth is it's not rationale

if Epic has the game for cheaper than I have no issues with it...the game doesn't run better or have features exclusive to Steam...Steam is just a wrapper...
My dislike for Epic started long ago when ole cliffy buttfuckski started bad mouthing pc gamers as a whole. That and the fact that their attempts at making new UT's have been nothing but lame half-assed attempts. No doubt the people who work on the engine stuff are very intelligent and talented, but other than that as a development studio I feel like they're has-beens. Fortnite? - no comment other than lol. That shit looks like the absolute dumbest game I've ever seen.

I use only one digital store front - Steam. Not because I'm a steam fanboy but because I'm forced to. I have no need for multiple distribution platforms. Steam is trash and has been for some time. The latest 'update' from a couple months ago is a joke. Everything about it seems regressive. The screenshot viewer is literally broken, and steam itself takes like 3 minutes to launch on startup now. Oh yeah I almost forgot, the notification system will now notify me to tell me I have no new notifications currently, lolz. I've been running in small mode for a while now just because of the bloat.

Or, it could simply be the fact that creating a storefront isn't nearly as easy as people purport it to be.

I think that is exactly it.

While paying for exclusives and giving away games doesn't help the whole profitability thing, I think many in the industry have underestimated how much it actually costs to run a digital distribution store.

Let's not forget that the reason all the developers and publishers flocked to Steam in the first place was because that 30% fee that people complain about now, was a HUGE bargain compared to the cost of making physical copies, printing manuals, pressing CD's, assembling boxes, warehousing all of those physical copies, shipping them across the country (and world) and then after that ceding 50+% markups at box store retail, and then having to take back all of their opened returns at their cost.

In the old model their take home was probably 10-20% at most, and moving to Steam they suddenly got to keep 70%.

For that 30% Steam provides server farms, electricity, hosting, bandwidth, community, forums, for some titles, support, handles a return process, etc. etc. These things aren't super cheap. I'm just not convinced the would be Steam competitors can make that happen for the 10% or so they have often proposed.

Can you imagine how much bandwidth Steam burns through in a month? Peering fees, network infrastructure and IT support personnel, etc. all have very real costs.

That is probably what we are seeing now. 10% fees likely just aren't enough.

Last edited:
While paying for exclusives and giving away games doesn't help the whole profitability thing, I think may in the industry have underestimated how much it actually costs to run a digital distribution store.

Let's not forget that the reason all the developers and publishers flocked to Steam in the first place was because that 30% fee that people complain about now, was a HUGE bargain compared to the cost of making physical copies, printing manuals, pressing CD's, assembling boxes, warehousing all of those physical copies, shipping them across the company and then ceding 50%+ markups at box store retail.

In the old model their take home was probably 15-20%, and moving to Steam they suddenly got to keep 70%.

For that 30% Steam provides hosting, bandwidth, community, forums, for some titles, support, handles a return process, etc. etc. These things aren't super cheap. I'm just not convinced the would be Steam competitors can make that happen for the 10% or so they have often proposed.

Can you imagine how much bandwidth Steam burns through in a month? Peering fees, network infrastructure and IT support personnel, etc. all have very real coats.

Yes, thank you. I've been writing about this for several years on these boards and everyone seems to think Valve is doing highway robbery when Steam basically gave devs the largest slice of the pie that they've ever gotten ever. And if it's so easy to make a store front that's better for less, then each of these devs should simply be able to do that. So far none have come even close to reaching parity with Steam.

If it was easy it would've been done by now, and I think EGS after 5 years is another demonstration that even with the resources of Epic, making "just" a digital storefront isn't simple.

I think that is exactly it.

While paying for exclusives and giving away games doesn't help the whole profitability thing, I think many in the industry have underestimated how much it actually costs to run a digital distribution store.

Let's not forget that the reason all the developers and publishers flocked to Steam in the first place was because that 30% fee that people complain about now, was a HUGE bargain compared to the cost of making physical copies, printing manuals, pressing CD's, assembling boxes, warehousing all of those physical copies, shipping them across the country (and world) and then after that ceding 50+% markups at box store retail, and then having to take back all of their opened returns at their cost.

In the old model their take home was probably 10-20% at most, and moving to Steam they suddenly got to keep 70%.

For that 30% Steam provides server farms, electricity, hosting, bandwidth, community, forums, for some titles, support, handles a return process, etc. etc. These things aren't super cheap. I'm just not convinced the would be Steam competitors can make that happen for the 10% or so they have often proposed.

Can you imagine how much bandwidth Steam burns through in a month? Peering fees, network infrastructure and IT support personnel, etc. all have very real costs.

The fact that so many games have their own launcher and store proves otherwise. It's a well established tactic for mid sized developers to sell on their own store for a year or so getting 100% of the profits, then come to Steam later for the extra exposure at a cost of the 30% cut.

Of course creating everything to be able to sell hundreds or thousands of games is much more complicated than just your own few.

The fact that so many games have their own launcher and store proves otherwise. It's a well established tactic for mid sized developers to sell on their own store for a year or so getting 100% of the profits, then come to Steam later for the extra exposure at a cost of the 30% cut.

Of course creating everything to be able to sell hundreds or thousands of games is much more complicated than just your own few.

And some of those, like Bethesda, have given up on their own stores and moved back to Steam launches.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see more of those over time.

The thing is, we have very little data about the financials of these developer run stores, but I'm willing to wager that a whole lot of people underestimated the costs and complexities of doing it themselves and are going to want out over time.

There is something to be said for focusing on your core competencies, what you are good at, and letting other people do what is not your primary focus, rather than reinventing the wheel over and over again.

I think to prove your point, you'd have to show the profitability of those individual launchers vs those same titles sold on Steam. I don't think they'll paint the picture you want them to paint.

EA as an example came crawling back to Steam after 8 years. If Origin was wildly successful it wouldn't benefit them to ever post another game onto Steam.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/398289/eas-games-are-coming-back-to-steam.html
Activision was another one that came back to Steam
https://www.pcgamer.com/activision-further-embraces-steam-with-official-publisher-homepage/
Even Microsoft
https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-games-on-steam-announced/

There is actually a long list of game devs that have tried their own launchers and then come back. It's not as if Microsoft is small. If their platform is great and so is their games, there is zero reasons for them to not just push their store and make 100% of the profit instead of 70% of the profit. Something tells me that consumers see the platform as being more beneficial than all of you naysayers give credit for.

We could do a casual poll to see how many Microsoft titles people have purchased from the Microsoft store here on these forums, and I bet you that >95% would say they bought whatever the title was on Steam instead.

Last edited:
The other thing I don't like about the 30% figure that gets thrown around is that from what I've read that 30% is the top rate and only applies to games that don't sell very many copies as well as only applying to the keys sold directly through steam's store. If a game doesn't sell many copies but still requires all of the backend work to set it up and help integrating any steam features it seems fair to charge a little more per copy.

I have nothing against epic offering lower rates if they think they can make it work and I don't see anything wrong with trying to bribe people to try their service with free games but if they were serious they should have invested more in making the platform better. I'm also not a fan of the whole buying exclusives thing and it makes me less inclined to give them any business, the part I find funny about that is that they didn't even manage to get any games that were high enough profile to motivate many holdouts while annoying some of the potential customers they were trying to win over.

We could do a casual poll to see how many Microsoft titles people have purchased from the Microsoft store here on these forums, and I bet you that >95% would say they bought whatever the title was on Steam instead.

The Microsoft Store downloader is glitchy and gross from the few times i've used it.

The thing I don't get here is that it's not like Epic doesn't have the resources to build out EGS correctly.

Recent articles have talked about this. Poor management and massive expansion. Now they are having many layoffs. The guys running the show for EGS were doing a poor job, and got poor results. The result is a store front that is okay, but not great. With the great deals drying up there isn't much bringing people to use it over Steam. They don't need 100% feature parity, that would have to come gradually (and raise their fees for developers gradually). Can it still happen? Maybe, but I think whatever chance they had for taking a large chunk of market share has slipped by. It will remain a store for the few good deals and free games, which are becoming increasingly rare.

This is of course not sustainable.

Recent articles have talked about this. Poor management and massive expansion. Now they are having many layoffs. The guys running the show for EGS were doing a poor job, and got poor results. The result is a store front that is okay, but not great. With the great deals drying up there isn't much bringing people to use it over Steam. They don't need 100% feature parity, that would have to come gradually (and raise their fees for developers gradually). Can it still happen? Maybe, but I think whatever chance they had for taking a large chunk of market share has slipped by. It will remain a store for the few good deals and free games, which are becoming increasingly rare.

This is of course not sustainable.
Here’s what annoys me most about EGS, they brag about having the lowest fees and the best rates for developers to publish there. Why are the prices identical to Valves?

Valve who Apple was able to hold up as an example and say “We’re not gouging, look at those guys there, if they can do that with 80% of the market we should be able to do this because we’re smaller and not nearly that expensive”

So if Google and everybody else are selling their stuff in alt stores and websites for 10-30% less than the Apple web store because of the lack of fees, why aren’t games in EGS 10-30% cheaper? Developers would get the same take home as they do from Steam but we would pay less. Give me 15% cheaper option on day 1 than Steam does and I’d be buying with a smile.

Back